X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Resawing box stock on the table saw.

I logged some time out in the COLD shop yesterday.

I’ve never resawn on the table saw before, but it went pretty well. It’s a lot more accurate than the set-up I have been using on the band saw. I’ve got a set of Carter guides that need to be installed on the band saw, so we’ll see how I feel after the upgrade is done. I wouldn’t use the table saw for slicing veneer though. Anyone else done both ways? What was your preference?

Details and pics…

http://secondwindworkshop.blogspot.c...-decision.html

For all you cold weather guys...I'm in the far stall of an open three car garage, in Minnesota. There is an electric heater that really jacks up the utility bill! What do you guys do? I was working in about 35 degrees for a couple hours yesterday. Brrrr!
    Pete
    My Blog - Second Wind Workshop
    http://secondwindworkshop.blogspot.com/

Re: Resawing box stock on the table saw.

I prefer resawing on the bandsaw. In fact I am waiting for my new saw to arrive which will improve my resaw capability and capacity.

I use a small torpedo propane heater to heat my 25x23 garage shop. I have a flow of air in at the garage door and it vents through my attic access. I hope to add natural gas ventless heater before next winter....
    Mike

Comment

Band saw, hands down. You don't lose as much material since it's a
      thinner kerf. Just need to angle the fence to compensate for drift and
      use a decent resaw blade. I like the Wood Slicer blades from Highland
      Woodworking. Since I'm down on the 27th parallel, cold weather isn't
      much of and issue. A different story in the summer.

When resawing on the TS, it's best to set you blade height slightly less
      than 1/2 the wood thickness, make you first pass then flip the board and
      make your second pass, leaving a sliver of wood connecting the two
      halves. Gives you better control and less chance of uneven cut.
      Last edited by Big Jim; 01-24-2011, 03:43 PM.

Comment

FWIW, in my 1 car, uninsulated garage/shop, i use a 30K btu tank top propane heater. about 2' above it, i mounted a cheap 20" box fan. start the heater, switch the fan on low and in 1 hour, it's comfortable enough to work without a coat with outdoor temps. in the 20s. without insulation and plenty of drafts, fresh air replacement isn't an issue. it's fast, cheap and functional.
        there's a solution to every problem.....you just have to be willing to find it.

Comment

Thanks guys!

Jim, after my attempt, I've had several folks mention leaving that little sliver. If I use the table saw again, I'll definately try that method. Hopefully I'll have the Carter guides installed and the band saw tuned before then!

Finer, thanks for the heating advice. What brand and model heater are you using?
          Pete
          My Blog - Second Wind Workshop
          http://secondwindworkshop.blogspot.com/

Comment

this one:

http://www.mrheater.com/product.aspx?catid=42&id=456

got it on clearance from a relocating HD for $20. had to replace the regulator once already. not ideal, but quite functional in an uninsulated environment.
            there's a solution to every problem.....you just have to be willing to find it.

Comment

Working...
            X