Rigid vs. BT3000

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rigid vs. BT3000

I enjoy woodworking and am interested in purchasing a new table saw. Can someone compare the Ryobi BT3000 with the 2424 or the 2412? I would be interested in all pros and cons available.

My brothers are all big Ridgid supporters. Their shops are full of Ridgid equipment and they love them all.

Thanks for the help!!

I have both saws. The Ryobi is at best in my opinion, an occasional use/jobsite saw. It is light and portable, but is loud, underpowered and the handles, switch and fence are not made for heavy duty use. I use it to take out on a jobsite and is great in this capacity.
    The Ridgid is much more solid, quieter, and has much more power.
    If you plan to use a table saw a lot, I would not recommend the Ryobi. It would fairer to compare the Ryobi with Ridgid's portable table saw.

Comment

Oh, I forgot to mention, I have the 2424, I was sold on it by the herculift, the price, the fence, and the warranty. I am very pleased with it's performance.

Comment

I owned the 3000, because of the features. I replaced it with the 2424. There is no compairson between the two machines.

Every wear surface is plastic. The fence is very poor. I could not keep mine square.

I must give them credit for a great concept.

Jim

Comment

Re: Maxdod
          It,s not fair to compare the Ridgid to the Ryobi. Ridgid in my opinion is by far a superior machine with a lifetime warranty plus on-line backup equal to none

Comment

I am going to have to agree with what has been said. There is really not a comparison. I was researching the same thing and just my visual inpection it is quite clear that the ridgid is of superior quality. The ryobi concept is nice but is just not in the same league. The comparison should be ryobi against ridgid portable then you might get a debate. Price wise the 2414 is only about $50 more.
            Reggie
            Reggie

Comment

Jamie, your brothers are very wise. Follow their lead.
              Dick

Comment

Thanks everyone for the comments. I am going to plunk down the $$ for the TS2424 after Christmas. I look forward to discussions in the future.

Comment

The Ryobi BT3000 is unique in that it is a totally new table saw design unlike anything available in the tool marketplace. It sells for about $400. It comes with a sliding miter table and an extremely accurate fence. Although different in design, it can meet or exceed the performance of contractor type table saws.

Check out:

Ryobi Tools Homepage

I'm currrently trying to decide which saw to buy and the BT3000 is on my list. The other saws are Ridgid.

Comment

About the only thing I agree with here is that there is no comparison between the BT3000 and any other table saw. I have owned and used the BT3000 for a little over two years and all of the plastic parts that everyone seems afraid of are still intact and the saw is cutting fine. I have used this saw to resaw hardwood logs and to rip and crosscut everything from pine to pecan, maple, elm and a lot of mesquite. The rip fence is superior to the stock rip fences that come with every brand of contractor saw I have examined, and even better than some found on cabinet saws. It locks down parallel to the blade every time. The Sliding Miter Table is far superior to any miter gauge I have seen. As to noise, it runs quieter than my shop vac. With the micro adjuster attached to the fence, I get edgejoint cuts without a jointer. With half length rail extensions I can rip in excess of half a sheet of plywood between the fence and the blade. With a once a week dusting and some spray lube, I expect my BT3000 will continue to perform flawlessly for a long time to come.

Jerry

Comment

I'd like to see the Ryobi fan slap a full 3/4" sheet of plywood or melamine down on top of their little saw time after time all day & cut it down to size. I have seen a lot of fine work done on a Ryobi but for heavy stuff or thick material I think a cast iron top & a belt driven system is the best way to go. You'll notice there are not very many Ryobi saws in production shops. Go the extra dollars & get a Ridgid saw. Remember you may start out making small projects from small material, but that may not always be the case. Purchase for the future.
                      Darn I\'ve stretched this board 3 times & it\'s still to short.

Comment

I have cut full size 3/4 ply and MDF down to size on my belt-driven BT3000 (with a 72" wide table). I also cut 3/4" dados, 8/4 and 12/4 cherry, maple and walnut, and do a lot of fine work, very easily with the sliding miter fence and the accurate rip fence.

If your running a production cabinet shop, a contractor saw may be adequate, most production shops run cabinet saws.

For the home-shop, the BT3000 is a great saw for the money, no other contractor can match performance and features for the dollars (the BT3000 is driven by 2 belts and has great dust collection - built in!).

If you have unlimited funds, the Ridgid is a good buy, but so is the Dewalt woodworker saw $$$.

Comment

I've owned a BT3000 for about a year. The sliding miter table is what sold me on it initially, but now that I've used it, I don't find it to be all its cracked up to be.

It is a bit finicky to tune up, but once tuned is an extremely accurate saw. I had my motor burn out after only a couple months of light use, but Home Depot replaced the whole saw and I've had no problems since.

Now that I have it, I don't have any immediate plans to upgrade, but if I was doing it again, I'd probably be inclined to spend a bit more money and get a heavier saw.

Pluses:

- Excellent fence
                          - Excellent dust collection
                          - Sliding miter table, if properly adjusted
                          - Included accessory table is handy for mounting a router, but does not include hardware required to mount router.
                          - Price

Minuses:

- Saw table is has ridges. I prefer flat surface.
                          - Many reported problems with the shims on the blade raising mechanism. It tends to be one of the most popular topics on the Ryobi Forum.
                          - Many reported problems with motors prematurely dying. Another good topic to search on the Ryobi forum.
                          - Accessories very difficult to obtain, expecially since HD has taken over exclusive sales of Ryobi products.
                          - Needs tuning up far more frequently than other saws.

If your budget is tight, I wouldn't hesitate to recommend the BT3000 over other similarly priced saws, but if you can spend a bit more, I would suggest looking a something a bit more robust.

Cheers,
                          Steve
                          Steve in Vancouver

Comment

Hello Steve:

Thanks for taking time to explain your thoughts in detail, it's always nice to hear opinions from "actual" users of tools.

Although I appreciate and salute the engineers of the BT3 for there creativity however there execution lacks ruggedness I think. I am shopping for new TS and I would like to hear your reccomendations for saw under $500.

Thanks.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by SGF:
                            I've owned a BT3000 for about a year. The sliding miter table is what sold me on it initially, but now that I've used it, I don't find it to be all its cracked up to be.

It is a bit finicky to tune up, but once tuned is an extremely accurate saw. I had my motor burn out after only a couple months of light use, but Home Depot replaced the whole saw and I've had no problems since.

Now that I have it, I don't have any immediate plans to upgrade, but if I was doing it again, I'd probably be inclined to spend a bit more money and get a heavier saw.

Pluses:

- Excellent fence
                            - Excellent dust collection
                            - Sliding miter table, if properly adjusted
                            - Included accessory table is handy for mounting a router, but does not include hardware required to mount router.
                            - Price

Minuses:

- Saw table is has ridges. I prefer flat surface.
                            - Many reported problems with the shims on the blade raising mechanism. It tends to be one of the most popular topics on the Ryobi Forum.
                            - Many reported problems with motors prematurely dying. Another good topic to search on the Ryobi forum.
                            - Accessories very difficult to obtain, expecially since HD has taken over exclusive sales of Ryobi products.
                            - Needs tuning up far more frequently than other saws.

If your budget is tight, I wouldn't hesitate to recommend the BT3000 over other similarly priced saws, but if you can spend a bit more, I would suggest looking a something a bit more robust.

Cheers,
                            Steve
                            <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Comment

Can't imagine why I would want to cut 3/4 inch plywood all day long, sheet after sheet, but I have, on occassion, cut full sheets of 3/4 ply without difficulty. I got mine to do furniture, not install wood sub-flooring. BTW the BT3000 IS belt driven. In fact it has two belts, not your typical v-belts, but more modern flat belts with teeth to engage gears on the arbor and motor pulleys. As to motors burning out, I've seen only a couple of those mentioned at the Ryobi sites, and then only one that I recall that happened soon after the saw was purchased. Others have been after several years of hard use. The shims? A better design could have been developed, but I've only replaced one. As to heavy cast iron, the only reason I can think of to want all that weight is to dampen vibration, but my BT doesn't have that problem. Besides, when I need to move mine to cut a sheet of plywood down the middle of the length, the aluminum is a lot easier to move.

As far as finicky adjustments, once I figured out what adjustment did what, it was easy, although I've not needed to adjust much of anything since original setup except for the fence when I added a couple of auxilliary fences for special purposes, and adjusting for those takes less than 30 seconds.

Jerry

Comment

Working...
                              X