Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Inlays using a tablesaw and two blades (purpleheart & birch)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Inlays using a tablesaw and two blades (purpleheart & birch)

I'm thinking of adding purpleheart inlays to my birch dinningroom table project. so I decided to do a test run on some scraps of birch and Purpleheart before attempting this on larger stock. The test pieces are 24"X 4 7/8" X 1" purpleheart planed to 0.9564 and some left over 30 X 2 1/2 X 3/4 birch cut offs I had saved for whatever.

I only used the TS4516 tablesaw and two Freud blades, one rip blade with a 1/8 kerf for the center inlay and the other with 0.90" kerf for the outside inlays. The blade height was set to 1/2" with spacing setup 1/4 apart on center. the birch strips were cut setting the Incra carriage to cut at 6/32nds and dialing the micro adjuster + 0.003" for tight fit with glue.
    I cut the birch strips flush to the purpleheart setting up the carriage to 29/32nds -0.0004" on the micro adjuster ending up with a perfect flush cut. All that was needed was a light sanding with 220 for a nice finish.

It sure is nice to have this much flexibility with a fence system
    here's the photos. By the way I don't work for Incra, I just use their stuff because in my opinion it's the best fence system you can get for a table saw period.

Cheers
    Glen
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Glen L; 01-27-2011, 11:46 AM.

Re: Inlays using a tablesaw and two blades (purpleheart & birch)

Last two photo's.
    Attached Files

Comment

Re: Inlays using a tablesaw and two blades (purpleheart & birch)

By the way the test piece got ruined on my router table after trying out some funky setup that went horribly wrong as it left my router table at warp speed into the adjacent concrete wall, I'm thankful all my fingers are still intact, thank christ for the jig it saved my butt.

Cheers
      Glen

Comment

Working...
      X