X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 16 Gal Stainless wet/dry vac

I just got a new Wet/dry vac stainless and had just a quick question. When I was cleaning up some autobody sanding dust in the garage, i noticed that as my forearm came close to the hose, it had alot of static electricity, no big deal. But when I turned off the unit, my friend reached down to push the vac and it zapped him before he even came in contact. He saw the arc and I heard it from across the garage. Later I was cleaning up some more and needed to move the vac so I used my foot and it actually shocked me through my leather house shoe. Is there anything I can do to prevent this from happening? I guess if I had gotten the plastic model this would not occur. Any ideas would be helpful. It is just not much fun getting static shocked but I guess I could have some fun with it when friends come over and I am cleaning.

Re: 16 Gal Stainless wet/dry vac

I have that same vac and have never gotten any kind of a shock from it. I don't have a clue as to why yours is doing that but hopefully someone will be able to explain it to you.
    Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

It wouldn't help to have the plastic model of vac. I have one and get the same shocks. I know what you mean. Some of those are downright painful. The charge builds up from the rush of air and dirt particles passing through the plastic hose and swirling in the tank. There is a difference in potential inside and outside the rush of the moving material. Electrons build up along the way and seek a path to ground. You eventually serve as the conduit for the discharge. You can't ground an insulator so your choices are pretty limited in what to do. Increased humidity in the shop helps since the dry air contributes to the problem. What works for me is to keep one hand on the vac hose and the other hand in contact with metal equipment in my shop as I move around. This seems to cause a steady release of energy so I no longer get the large bursts of discharge.

Comment

same problem here

Comment

It seems to me that the wheels are keeping the vacuum canister from bleeding off the accumulated static charge to the floor. Attach a flexible metal conductor (stranded copper wire, wire braiding, etc.) to the bottom of your vac canister and leave it long enough so that it will drag against the floor. This should work if your floor is conductive enough. Should be a simple enough experiment.

Dave

Comment

Working...
          X