Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse

How To Post Images

Want to know the how to upload images to your posts? Image Posting Tutorial
See more
See less

Thought I'd share my new CC Sled I built this weekend.

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thought I'd share my new CC Sled I built this weekend.

Ahh, the crosscut sled. There are a billion variants on the web, I tried 4. I used Laminated MDF from a Wardrobe I recycled, tried 5/8, and 3/4 MDF. I even followed step by step plans off the web, and that one was the worst by far.

So this weekend when I had to get those Cedar boxes done, and it was box joint time, I had no choice....but to make another. Only this time, I did a "micro sled" (thats what I call it )

Anyway, I kinda get the feeling a CC Sled is an extension of the operator, so I made mine, visualy appealing to me, used Walnut, Oak, Cedar (oh man I love the Cedar and Walnut) and other hardwoods instead of MDF and thin plywood.
    I also ditched the "make your own runners" and went a different direction.

So, here is my CC Sled, still a few things I need to do, but the idea is a modular system that allows me to do whatever I need at the time, with minimal downtime (like changing to dado/etc), it is also small as the majority of work is on small items with a 1/4" dado being the largest I need.

So here is Jimmy's ol' shiny sled,,,,,, Lets see yours...

Bare and empty

Just 1 Stop Block

My Box Joint Jig Setup

Yes, it is attached to 2 TS Miter gauges. Believe it or not, my sled is dead perfect square to blade, no movement at all. Bottom of sled was heavily coated with paste wax

With Blade guard attached, I didn't like the blade being exposed so much, with me leaning over, simple slip and my hand is gone, so I made that...

So thats it for now, the Tennon cheeck jig I made needs some sanding, some Danish Oil, and proper length bolts, and it will be good to go. Goal is to have a "pretty" yet functional one stop jig assembly all in one spot.

Re: Thought I'd share my new CC Sled I built this weekend.

Very nice. Lot of work there with plenty of ingenuity. Looks great. I think making shop fixtures and jigs is some of the most rewarding work. You fell very inventive and yet you don't have to apply stain and poly to the finished product!

Comment

Originally posted by dmac66 View Post
      Very nice. Lot of work there with plenty of ingenuity. Looks great. I think making shop fixtures and jigs is some of the most rewarding work. You fell very inventive and yet you don't have to apply stain and poly to the finished product!

Watco is my Best friend, and the only product I use. Personally I prefer simple, grain and color enhancing, not overkill.

I realize Incra makes a kick *** modular sled system, along with other companies, I think I was pretty doped up on painkillers for my back injury when I posted those pics, so......yeah.

Tangent..... It is really hard leaning over the saw, with 3 damaged discs in lower back. I actually thought about removing the lower portion of saw, building a box for it to sit on, and raising it another 4-6 inches.....thinking....

Comment

WOW! dueling Ridgid miter gauges to make this sled, I like it... well done

How can you tell what woodworker uses jigs The one that has all his fingers

Cheers
        Glen

Comment

Clever design, very creative!
          Pete
          My Blog - Second Wind Workshop
          http://secondwindworkshop.blogspot.com/

Comment

Can I ask why you used two miter's instead of a slide or something else? Don't get me wrong I really like it just wondered why the two miter's.

Tim

Comment

Working...
            X