X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just got a Router so what's next?

OK, since HD had the Rigid Router kits on sale I had to buy one. So what's next? What acc. are the must haves for a newbie? I was also thinking about a bench top router table... I was wanting to get/make one that I could use on my AC9944 Miter saw stand (if possible) and suggestions?

Thanks.

Re: Just got a Router so what's next?

well, if it's like MY new router, I installed it in a new benchtop router table with all kinds of cool stuff on it and sat it upon my table saw, it is a year old and has never been turned on, so 1) don't be like me, and 2) have fun with it.. Seems like i never have time to make the things in my head, but when i do, I'll be a busier man than i am now!!!

Comment

A table is a great addition for your router. As for "must have" accessories, that is up to you. What do you want to do with it? If you just want to put edge profiles on wood, then what you have is perfect. If you want to go further, you can cut mortices, dadoes, grooves, circles, the list goes on and on.

Check here http://www.routerforums.com/ for more information and tips.
      Brian

Comment

router bits are a great accessory,
        most likely getting a good carbide tipped or solid carbide set is a good way to start, that way you have a number of different bits to cut different profiles and to expand your capabilities,
        Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
        attributed to Samuel Johnson
        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

if you are new to routers, an additional source of information is shopnotes magazine. they consistently feature riuter focused articles and tips.
          there's a solution to every problem.....you just have to be willing to find it.

Comment

Check your local library for a section on woodworking. You may be able to find some books on the subjects of hand routing and table routing.

Also try the following web site

http://www.routerforums.com/

If you also Google 'Router' or 'woodworking router' you will find a lot of useful information.

Be forewarned, the internet also uses electronic devices referred to as routers (to route internet traffic).

Search Amazon, Barnes and Noble bookstores or web sites for books on the subject. Check with your local woodworkers stores (Woodcraft, Rockler) to see if their are clubs in the area.

I recommend that you not purchase a large (EXPENSIVE) set of bits. Most of them you will never use. Start off with the bits that you need and slowly build your own set of bits. Try the site http://www.mlcs.com/ for good, reasonable bits and accessories.

Get some "inexpensive" dimension lumber and practice safely cutting dadoes, grooves, edges etc.

A router is the most flexible cutting tool in the wood shop. There are many shop made and commercial jigs to extend its use to cut many styles of joints and decorative edges and moldings. Learn to safely use one and the possibilities are endless.

Comment

Thanks for all the feedback guys. I’m planning on making some small projects to start off with a see/saw for the kids, a bench, and a mirror. I’ve also got an old butcher block table that was in a buddy’s house that was on fire that I’m hoping to make into some small cutting boards eventually. If I enjoy it, I’ll move on from there.
              Am I better off getting some cheap bits to start out with while I’m learning, or is it better to use good quality bits from the get go?

Comment

As far as router bits go, it's always best to stay away from the really cheap ones. You will not be happy with the results you'll get from them. For top quality bits you can't go wrong with the Whiteside bits. For middle of the road priced bits Woodcraft's house brand is all right. I'm sure others will have some suggestions on those types. One thing to consider with bits is how often you will use a particular bit. For bits you plan on using quite often I'd definitely suggest going with the best bit you can buy. They will stay sharper longer and also have the ability to be sharpened again.
                Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

Originally posted by BadgerDave View Post
                  As far as router bits go, it's always best to stay away from the really cheap ones. You will not be happy with the results you'll get from them. For top quality bits you can't go wrong with the Whiteside bits. For middle of the road priced bits Woodcraft's house brand is all right. I'm sure others will have some suggestions on those types. One thing to consider with bits is how often you will use a particular bit. For bits you plan on using quite often I'd definitely suggest going with the best bit you can buy. They will stay sharper longer and also have the ability to be sharpened again.
                  Thanks, that makes a lot of sense. I was actually thinking of buying a less expenseive kit with a bunch of different bits to play with to see how they work and then upgrading once I see what I like and what I'll actually be needing.

Comment

Fine Woodworking had an article several years ago that had an excellent basic bit set (10 bits) that will accomplish most router tasks.

A BASIC BIT KIT
                    • 1⁄4-in. straight bit
                    • 1⁄2-in. straight bit
                    • 3⁄8-in. spiral-fluted straight bit
                    • Rabbeting bit with four bearings
                    • 1⁄2-in. dovetail bit
                    • 1⁄4-in. roundover bit
                    • 3⁄8-in.-radius cove bit
                    • 45° chamfer bit
                    • Three-wing slot cutter
                    • 1⁄2-in. flush-trimming bit

If your budget allows, both Whiteside and Infinity have kits based on the article available (+/- $200).

Comment

I am a new wood worker as well and have been given the following advice that I think is sound.

The router is spinning at 20,000 rpm or something crazy like that, so I have two thoughts to pass on;
                      1. Use good quality bits for safety sake. Inexpensive bits are just that...if you find you are pushing or forcing stop and try a quality bit.
                      2. Don't buy a kit, more isn't always more. I find the best approach is to buy what you need for the job or task at hand. I would bet that if you buy a kit most of the bits wouldn't get used and therefore money spent for no good reason.
                      These are just the ramblings of a newbie.

tim

Comment

Originally posted by tomapple View Post
                        Fine Woodworking had an article several years ago that had an excellent basic bit set (10 bits) that will accomplish most router tasks.

A BASIC BIT KIT
                        • 1⁄4-in. straight bit
                        • 1⁄2-in. straight bit
                        • 3⁄8-in. spiral-fluted straight bit
                        • Rabbeting bit with four bearings
                        • 1⁄2-in. dovetail bit
                        • 1⁄4-in. roundover bit
                        • 3⁄8-in.-radius cove bit
                        • 45° chamfer bit
                        • Three-wing slot cutter
                        • 1⁄2-in. flush-trimming bit

If your budget allows, both Whiteside and Infinity have kits based on the article available (+/- $200).
                        Thanks for the info. I'll look into that. I was also checking out a straight edge attachment. I see HD also has Rigid bushing kits for these routers, is that something that I should invest in as well?

Comment

Originally posted by RumRunner View Post
                          Thanks for the info. I'll look into that. I was also checking out a straight edge attachment. I see HD also has Rigid bushing kits for these routers, is that something that I should invest in as well?
                          I use both an edge guide and bushings from time to time in my shop. The frequency of use would depend upon the type of work you do as well as your chosen work methods (quite often there is more than one way to acomplish a task)

Comment

The router is my favourite tool. I started by getting just a couple of bit first then bought more ..good quality ones .. as I did more woodworking. A couple of the first ones were a straight bit, half inch round-over then other profiles as I gained experience. I did get a router table and found doing biscuit joinery was really slick using the router table and a 1/8th inch bit. You can see a picture of the bit and the biscuits that go with it in the on line Lee Valley Catalog on page 278. it's item 16J8253. Other companies may also have that item. I use them to edge join boards .. works like a charm.
                            My router can use either half or quarter inch bits.
                            Have fun, enjoy your router, and wear eye protection.
                            Charlie

Comment

Originally posted by RumRunner View Post
                              ...Am I better off getting some cheap bits to start out with while I’m learning, or is it better to use good quality bits from the get go?
                              I'll echo the sentiments of others suggesting that you avoid the cheapest no-name bits, and some of the more poorly made brand names. There are some decent value oriented bits from brands like MLCS Woodworking, Woodline USA, Price Cutter, Woodriver (on sale), and Grizzly that are reasonably well made, and should be safer. I've got several of these bits for the seldom used profiles. To keep your investment small, I'd buy a small set of these as opposed to a large set to use until you've gained some experience. Then you can upgrade to better quality bits like Whiteside, Infinity, Freud, CMT, Eagle America, Amana, or even MLCS' Katana line for critical applications and your most used profiles....Whiteside and Infinity both offer small sets of the most commonly used profiles that offer premium quality and a reasonable price (~ $80-$100). You can always add specialty bits as needed. I tend to avoid bits from brands like Ryobi, Hickory, Craftsman, Harbor Freight, Skil, Vermont American....they're too expensive for what they offer IMHO.

Have you considered putting your router in a router table?

Comment

Working...
                              X