X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ridgid digital miter gauge

I was at home Depot today and saw that they had a digital miter gauge from Ridgid on display. It has a 24" fence with stops and a digital readout for the display.
    I couldn't find anything about it anywhere on the web, but the search results pulled up a Craftsman that looks very similar.
    The cost of the Ridgid one is $89.00.
    Does anyone have one of these, and if so what do you think of it?

Re: Ridgid digital miter gauge

First I've heard of it.

apparently the craftsman version has been out for a couple years (2008), and was reviewed by Popular Woodworking in Sep, 2008.

Quoting the reviewer Glen Huey: "this [digital miter] gauge, with the addition of an included magnetic accessory bar, can be used to adjust [table saw] blade tilt. Move over Wixey. Look out Tilt Box. This tool does double duty."

I have to disagree with Mr.Huey and Pop Wood. Wixey and its copycats have nothing to fear from this or any other version of a digital miter gauge. There is no way they can approach the ease of use or versatility of the pocket-size Wixey Digital Angle Gauge. Glen even says he had trouble dialing in an angle to the tenth of a degree when trying to set the gauge for 22.5°, a common angle in woodworking. He talks about the indicator bouncing back and forth from 22.4 to 22.6°. I've never experienced that type of bounce in my Wixey when using it to set the blade angle on my table saw. Also, the Wixey can be used to set the angle on ANY miter gauge, your jointer fence, RAS blade, bandsaw table, and more. And at half the price of the digital miter gauge, there is little if any incentive to replace my Wixey. My only thing I would change on the Wixey is to use a more common battery in place of the CR-2032 button cell. A pair of AAAs or a 9V would be nice. And if it could operate off Li-Ion batteries that would be a plus too.

So if RIDGID has a version of this miter gauge I don't see it going anywhere.

Now IF they were to license the Wixey digital height and angle gauge and incorporate it onto their table saws THAT would be worth something. To be able to dial in the height of the blade and the angle without having to use a secondary instrument would be nice. And if it included a memory feature (maybe more than one) that you could push a button and save a setting so you could come back to it later that would be a huge benefit too. Then you could break down a setup to make another cut and come back and reset the blade to the exact same angle you had yesterday or last week. How handy would that be?

If RIDGID was smart they would put me on their payroll and for a reasonable fee I would feed them so many tool ideas they couldn't keep up.
    Last edited by Bob D.; 02-06-2011, 07:27 AM.
    ---------------
    Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
    ---------------
    “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
    ---------
    "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
    ---------
    sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Bob D. View Post
      Now IF they were to license the Wixey digital height and angle gauge and incorporate it onto their table saws THAT would be worth something. To be able to dial in the height of the blade and the angle without having to use a secondary instrument would be nice.
      is something like this what you had in mind?

http://www.forums.woodnet.net/ubbthr...=&fpart=1&vc=1

also, that same post of yours noted "the Wixey can be used to set the angle on ANY miter gauge". just curious how an instrument that seems to reference horizontal surfaces/planes can be used to set the angle of a table saw miter gauge.
      there's a solution to every problem.....you just have to be willing to find it.

Comment

Originally posted by FINER9998 View Post
        is something like this what you had in mind?

http://www.forums.woodnet.net/ubbthr...=&fpart=1&vc=1

also, that same post of yours noted "the Wixey can be used to set the angle on ANY miter gauge". just curious how an instrument that seems to reference horizontal surfaces/planes can be used to set the angle of a table saw miter gauge.
        Q1: No. That's a very simplistic method which will work to read the blade angle, but it does nothing for blade height above the table.

Q2: Zero the Wixey to the table top. Hang the miter gauge over the edge of the table and use the Wixey to measure the angle from plumb of the miter bar. I didn't dream that up I read it as a suggestion someone wrote in to one of the WWing mags a couple years ago. I'm not describing it very well I will see if I can find it on the 'net.
        ---------------
        Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
        ---------------
        ---------
        ---------

Comment

I saw this at the local HD the other day. It seemed interesting, but didn't have a price. I don't know how accurate it would be compared to analog gauges, and for all I know every cut I've ever made as a novice with my crude gauge has never been totally dead accurate or trustworthy; but I thought it was disconcerting that I couldn't get this digital gauge to set at 0.0. It would jump plus or minus .1 or .2 degrees whenever I tried to tighten it.
          So it seemed gimmicky for the price in that respect.
          Just my 2c.

Comment

Originally posted by Bob D. View Post
            Zero the Wixey to the table top. Hang the miter gauge over the edge of the table and use the Wixey to measure the angle from plumb of the miter bar. I didn't dream that up I read it as a suggestion someone wrote in to one of the WWing mags a couple years ago. I'm not describing it very well I will see if I can find it on the 'net.
            i saw that in a recent issue of wood magazine as a reader tip. didn't seem terribly reliable to me.
            there's a solution to every problem.....you just have to be willing to find it.

Comment

Originally posted by FINER9998 View Post
              i saw that in a recent issue of wood magazine as a reader tip. didn't seem terribly reliable to me.

I agree its probably not very accurate, but it is possible.

Craftsman sells a digital angle remote indicator that is attached to your TS. It's made by Wixey but is only marketed by Sears under the Craftsman name. I contacted Wixey a couple years ago about it and that is what they told me (that they make it for Sears and can't sell their own version).

If they could create a height indicator too and combine them into one display that you could mount anywhere using a wireless connection between the instrument and the display, they would have something.
              ---------------
              ---------------
              ---------
              ---------

Comment

Working...
              X