X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ridgid TS-3650 Vs. the World!!!

Fellow wood manipulators! I am in a dilema. I'm in the market for a new table saw but do not know which one to go with. There are a few I am looking at: Ridgid TS3650, Delta 36-680, Craftsman 22114, Grizzly GO444Z, and this new one I just found, SM-250A 10". I have reviews on all of them except the last one. Has anyone ever heard of Sunhill Machinery and how does their table saw measure up against the others in its class. Yes, its made in Taiwan, like the others. Any feedback will be greatly appreciated.

--------------------
    Train Hard, Fight Hard, Win Always!

I suspect the Sunhill and HF have some ancestry. Don't know what the quality is like, but Sunhill's jointers are well respected.

Of those you mentioned, the Griz has the best fence and miter gauge IMO. The 22114 has the best DC and is easiest to align.

Comment

The June/July 2005 issue of WOOD magazine has an article comparing mid-price range table saws. The Ridgid TS3650 came out on top for contractor-style table saws, and the Ridgid TS2400 was rated the best portable. You might want to pick up a copy of the magazine. I've had a TS2400 for about ten months, now, and use it every day. The only major problem I've encountered is having my motor burn up, then being told by my local Ridgid repair center that it normally would take about two months to get it looked at and replaced. (Luckily, I found a way around the time problem, and up and working, again.)
      Nolo illigitamati carborundum

Comment

Guys I thank you for your replies. Keep em comin.. I did get some info from Sunhill Machinery. They claim that this SM-250A is identical to the Craftsman 315.228490. I checked the net but could only find a small amount of info on it. If anyone has more please give it!. Thanks. Its good to be here...

Comment

Here is the spec page on the Sunhill SM-250A, Sunhill SM-250-A Hope thats what you're looking for.
          Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

Thanks for the reply, but I got those specs already. I'm looking for whether or not it has cat iron wings, belt drive, rip fence style, stuff like that. It looks like a pretty decent saw, but I don't want to be the ginnie pig. But I might do it anyway to take one for the team....

Comment

I just spotted this older Sears on Epinions and thought it looked like the HF and Sunhill...

Sunhill should be able to answer any of your questions, including who makes it for them.

Comment

Yea, like Knot Me says, they should be willing to answer all of your comparison questions if they are anxious to break into the market. Good PR and happy users are what they *need* right about now. Gather up your questions (does it do/ have 'this') and points of interest ('does it include any options or how does the fence clamp - front and rear or rear only'). You have 'em inside your head already. Just right them down and have a talk with them.
                Best of luck and keep us posted whatever you choose to do.
                Later,
                Chiz
                Later,
                Chiz

Comment

Hey guys...! Good news. Just heard from a few people at Sunhill Machinery. Here is what the guy said:

Hi Rus,

The big boss was answering your questions, I see prior to today. I'll fill in the blanks for you!

The wings on the table are a heavy cast iron.
                  The motor is belt driven. The motor is enclosed.
                  The fence is made of extruded aluminum with a cam lock. It locks in both the front and the rear. It has micrometric adjustment guide; adjustments made on both the right and left side. It has slots for all of your attachments. The scale is in both inch and metric graduations.
                  Regarding the dado capacity, width at 13/16" and 8" diameter. However, we do not have the dado insert.

It's a great saw. If you are familiar with the Geetech brand, this is part of that line. Sunhill has been selling this line since we opened our doors and we have seen only improvements made over the years. Our 6" & 8" jointers, our 2-speed shaper, chisel mortiser, single surface planers......really good equipment.

Please do not hesitate to ask as many questions as you need to!

May I ask how soon you are planning to set up a saw?

Are you interested in a copy of our catalog?

Let me know how I can be of further assistance.

Thank you.

Sydney
                  Sunhill Machinery
                  800-929-4321

I checked out the GEETECH CT-251T and yes it has all the bells and whistles of a good contractor's saw. If they bring that shipping price down a way bit its a done deal. Thanks for all of your replies, but I'm not done yet. I was ready to give in and buy the Ridgid TS.

Comment

Before you commit to buying the Sunhill saw and just as a precaution, I'd stop over at one of the larger more trafficked sites such as WoodNet and ask if anyone there has any first hand knowledge of this saw. I'm always a little leery of buying anything sight unseen no matter how good the deal sounds. I personally have never even seen a Sunhill TS so I have not a clue whether they're great or no so great. I do know that I would like more than just Sydney @Sunhill Machinery's word that "it's a great saw".

It sounds like you're really doing alot of homework on this purchase and that's a good thing. I'm sure in the end, the saw you finally do buy will be one that will suit your needs and pocketbook.

Comment

STOP THE PRESSES!!! THIS JUST IN....
                      seems like the folks over at Sunhill Machinery are not as savvy as I thought. Time always tells. they were giving me info on the wrong saw. Seems like the SM-250A doesn't have cast iron wing extensions or an arbor that will support a dado set. Thats not a contractor saw, thats a bench saw like the one I have now (Delta 36-540) Anyways here's what the had to say:

Hi Russell,

I realize I need to start all over with you and provide you with the correct answers. I jumped in with eyes closed. Please excuse me.

The extensions on the table are sheet steel.
                      The motor is not enclosed. It is mounted on the back of the saw.
                      The fence is extruded aluminum and it does have slots for attachments.
                      The fence does not have micro adjustments, but it does lock on both the front and back side.
                      The shaft on the arbor leaves a mere 1/2" ~ not recommended to use a dado. However; you could make your own insert if you like.

Thank you......

Sydney
                      Sunhill Machinery
                      800-929-4321

I'm hurt, I'm disappointed, I'm going to get a grizzy...or a Ridgid maybe a Craftsman 22114. I'm back where I started before....

Comment

Yeah, 210# seems pretty light for a full size contractor saw with CI wings. The GI, Ridgid and Griz are in the 300# range with CI wings.

Sunhill has good jointers and a good reputation as a supplier, but I'm not sure how knowledgeable they with table saws. A few months ago on Woodnet they "corrected" for describing their $700 hybrid as a cabinet saw. I suppose the definition of a cabinet saw is up for some debate, but most suppliers of hybrids describe them as just that because there is a destinct difference from a Uni or PM66.

Comment

Buying a new table saw can be agonizing. Its not like a hammer you can toss aside if you don't like it. I researched for 5 months before deciding on the rigid 3650. The Wood article finally pushed me over the edge. I had it narrowed to Rigid, Craftsman and Delta.
                          I'm happy to say that the 3650 is a great saw. I should say it's my first Contractor grade saw. Some minor adjustments to alignment out of the box, a mildly annoying shutter as it starts up, but cuts like a dream. The 3yr warranty and H-D's easy return policy didn't hurt either. Good luck in your decision,,,,,,,,,,,,Erik

Comment

Well my friends... I did it. I bought my saw. After all thoughts and considerations I decided to stick and go with Delta. HD had a great deal on a 36-675 for $423 and free shipping. I had to jump on it. It sucks that they charged me tax but it was only 22 bucks so what the heck. Anyways...wish me luck. And oh yeah, is it worth it to replace the stamped steel wings with cast iron? Again guys, thanks and I will pop in from time to time to ask questions. Peace! I'm out for now

Comment

In your case you probably shouldn't buy the CI wings for your saw. If you do, your total out of pocket money spent would be very close to what you could have purchased a TS3650 for. Then you'd be kicking yourself because you could have had a saw that comes standard with CI wings and has 6"'s more ripping capacity plus the best mobile base on the market for the same money spent. [img]tongue.gif[/img] It's true but I am just ribbing ya. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Seriously though, good luck with you new saw. I'm sure that you'll enjoy it and it will work out very well for you. The steel wings,like their CI cousins, will work just fine as long as you install them properly to the saws table. Due to their weight, CI wings will make the saw a little more stable but they certainly aren't something that you can't live without.

Comment

Working...
                              X