No announcement yet.

Emerson Announces New RIDGID Power Tools

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Emerson Announces New RIDGID Power Tools

St. Louis, MO, July 1, 2003 – Emerson Professional Tools, a business of Emerson (NYSE: EMR), today announced efforts to enhance the manufacturing and marketing of Emerson’s RIDGID® brand bench top and stationary woodworking power tool products. Under the agreement, One World Technologies (OWT), a wholly owned subsidiary of TechTronic Industries Company Limited (TTI) (HKEx stock code 669; ADR symbol TTNDY), will supply these RIDGID® brand tools, leveraging the strengths from each organization in engineering and quality manufacturing.

The tools will be built to meet the high standards established by Emerson that customers have come to expect from the RIDGID brand name -- hallmarks such as reliability, durability, best-in-class manufacturing, industry-leading design and professional quality.

“This new partnership and business model will further enhance an innovative line of power tools that already has the respect of end users everywhere,” said Pat Sly, Emerson executive vice president and Emerson Professional Tools business leader. “RIDGID tools have long been recognized as superior products within the industry, and this agreement will strengthen that position.”
    The Home Depot is and will remain the exclusive hardware home center retailer of RIDGID bench and stationary woodworking power tools, as well as wet/dry vacs, hand tools, pumps and plumbing/pipefitting tools.

With a well-established reputation in the power tool industry, OWT will leverage its record of innovation, product development and leading capabilities in manufacturing logistics and distribution. Strict adherence to RIDGID quality standards will be maintained as the companies transition production.

“This is quite an honor for One World Technologies to manufacture these bench top and stationary tools,” said Bob Freitag, Executive Vice President of OWT. “In fact, the new line will include improved features and benefits consistent with RIDGID’s reputation for meeting and exceeding the needs of professional contractors. This is a win-win for all parties, and we’re excited to help ensure that the RIDGID brand continues to be a success for The Home Depot,” Freitag continued.

Tool users can expect the new line of bench top and stationary power tools from the partnership to begin appearing in The Home Depot stores this August.

Emerson will continue supporting the full RIDGID line and will remain a significant manufacturer of RIDGID wet/dry vacuums, hand tools, and other products for The Home Depot.

The new partnership also impacts technical and after-sales service for the bench top and stationary woodworking power tools. RIDGID has always enjoyed an excellent reputation for service, and this agreement will expand and improve performance in that area. New services include nationwide two-day UPS part service for faster turn-around, triple the number of available local service centers, and a dedicated, full-time staff to answer technical woodworking tool-related questions.

As always, customers can call 1-800-4-RIDGID (1-800-474-3443) to speak with a RIDGID technical service representative and obtain service part ordering information or visit An additional toll free number, 1-866-539-1710, is also available to further facilitate customer inquiries.

Emerson Professional Tools brings together technology and engineering to design and produce some of the highest quality tools and equipment in the world. From wet/dry vacs to the industry's best-selling pipe diagnostic system, key brands include RIDGID, Knaack and Weatherguard. Emerson Professional Tools is a business of St. Louis-based Emerson (, a global leader in providing innovative solutions to customers in electronics and telecommunications; process control; industrial automation; heating, ventilating and air conditioning; and appliance and tools. Sales in fiscal 2002 were $13.8 billion.

Founded in 1985, TTI is one of the largest and fastest growing manufacturers of professional and do-it-yourself home improvement products. The company manufactures power tools, gas and cordless outdoor power equipment and floor care products such as vacuums and deep cleaning extractors. The products manufactured by TTI are sold under its own industry leading brands and under other internationally recognizable brand names under an OEM basis. The company employs over 12,000 employees worldwide. The company has enjoyed continuous growth since its listing on the Hong Kong Stock Exchange in 1990, achieving double-digit growth for the past eight years.

Thank you Norm! I guess more details will be following as August approaches.
    My Shop

OK, for those playing at home, that confirms that the maker of Ryobi will now be making Ridgid.

Hopefully, they will do so using Ridgid quality as stated. Guess we shall see.

Well that a bomb shell.
        Andy B.

If I want ryobi, then I'll buy ryobi.

The tools will be built to meet the high standards established by Emerson that customers have come to expect from the RIDGID brand name

I wonder, of the people who seem very dismayed by this news, how many realize just how few machines are built by vaunted names like Powermatic.

Thanks for the news, Norm. If the deal is done right, everyone can win.

I agree with Dave A.

This is what I see. Here is a company that does nothing but inovate, engineer, test and produce the things we use. They have a full aray quality line. Ridgid is suggested to be near the top end. Now take a company like Emerson, which is electric motors. They supply the motors to the producer of the machines. Emerson spcializing in the drive train. While the chassis is built by another company specializing in chassis.

Example: NASCAR, and the Pit Crew and Chief Mechanic. They build the Engine and Drive Train. But they don't build the Chassis. It's the drive train work they do that makes a winning car. But without a quality chassis, there is no winning combination. Emerson MUST see to it that the chassis is a winner, or it will fail. I'm sure Ridgid is not setting itself up to fail.

The way I see it is, Emerson is strictly sticking to it's specialty, Motors. Giving them more flexibility and resoarces to R&D. While letting the assembly and Engineering of the machine to people who spcialize in that. Combined, we, the end user, Emerson and Chassis manufacture are all winners. We like the machine and it's performance, we buy. We brag, more buy. The win/win is what everyone is looking for. No company is going to make such a move as Ridgid has done unless it well thought out, and the numbers put to test.

Besides, it's all up to the consumer to do their research for a unit they are looking for. What fit's thier needs in the price they can afford. Doing so, will get you the bang for the buck your so accomstomed to with the Ridgid Brand Name.
              John E. Adams<br /><a href=\"\" target=\"_blank\"></a>

Well, on the up side, new tools... and innovative new tools in particular... are kind of exciting.

I know that most "brands" are really just avenues to the market, and hopefully a support network to go along with it. Key components of most of Grandpa's dearly beloved brands are now made overseas, and have been for a long time. As indicated elsewhere, I have no problem with that at all.

I don't think these new products are going to have Emerson motors. Techtronic does not need Emerson motors, which would be completely redundant to their own technology and sources. I am willing to stand corrected on this, but I don't see any such reference in any of their statements.

It would be nice to think that they will supply motors and other parts (they probably do some outsourcing of their own) to a generalized Emerson performance spec, which allows them to use their own specific strengths to meet a standard with which Emerson won't be embarassed. HK tech companies are very good at that. Emerson could conceivably share some design info for a motor that they're going to be associated with. Sure wouldn't make much sense to build motors here, ship to China, and ship finished product back.

If Emerson makes it clear that the "Ridgid" brand is positioned (and usually priced) above Ryobi, and that the price/performance expectation for a Ridgid-branded tool is measurably higher, there is some hope.

The quality goals have to be measurable... and the 3 year warranty is a little disconcerting. NOT because it is out of line with the industry, or insufficient, but because it seems to represent a step back from an earlier commitment.

Not sure I'd want the first ones off the line. If you buy cars, you know how that goes. Your product failures are gonna be their lessons learned. Ultimately, they could end up with very fine products.

A lot of people slam Ryobi, because they paid 50% less for a tool, and got 30% less use out of it. That's the wrong metric to use... it means you were at least 20% to the good on the investment. If you wanted more life or features, you shoulda paid full boat.

The real measure of value is, how many failures did they have out of the box, or within the warranty period? Answer: not many. Ryobi is a brand that delivers what it promises, and only the user's unreasonable expectations out of a bargain product cause it to fall short in some folks' eyes.

The key question then is: Will the Ridgid/Emerson brand be held to a higher quality standard than Ryobi? I have no doubt that an HK company can meet (or exceed) the standards of a Ridgid, with some time, regardless of whether they happen to manufacture other lines to lower specs.

Will they be held to a higher standard? We are staying tuned....

The Home Depot is and will remain the exclusive hardware home center retailer of RIDGID bench and stationary woodworking power tools
                  Thats a bummer! No mention if Ridgid will begin to have reps go to the HD stores to actually maintain and display the tools like other tool companies do.

I can see it now... Boxes of new model Ridgid tools sitting under the display of Old model Ridgid tools marked with price tags saying they are the new models.

On the positive side I love to here the word innovation mentioned!

Thank for the info Norm!

I seriously doubt that Ryobi has the technology or engineering to produce products that are better than the Craftsman level they currently produce. If they have advanced capability why haven't they produced higher quality tools up to this point? Spare me the "BT3xxx better than a cabinet saw" defenses, I ain't convinced. My lone Ryobi stationary tool purchase (Miter saw) was less than a pleasant experience.

This is clearly a big company (Emerson) unloading a business unit that wasn't as profitable as the rest of it's business interests. Those of you that have great faith that things will be better than ever - pay with your credit card so you have a means to dispute the charges.

I own a few Rigid tools, including the TP1300, and I certainly hope the optimists are right and I am wrong but I won't be buying any Rigid WW machines for a while.

Sorry to be a d1ckhead on this but I'm tired of companies trying to spin me into believing that coal is diamonds.
                    Mike<br /><br />We\'re lost, but we\'re makin good time!

gmike, I know what you mean, but...

It's not about "Ryobi" having better technology. One World Technologies is a part of Techtronics and they make some Ryobi stuff... how much, we'll probably never know. It is built to a certain spec. They make a lot of other stuff (Homelite) and do not appear lacking in technology... at all. They certainly aren't lacking in cash. Technology is applied cash.

It's not like every manufacturer in the world sets out to be the very best, and then their degree of failure determines their place in the quality pecking order.

They identify a place in the market, including quality, price, and distribution, and target a product line at that place. If Ryobi was where part of their business was, don't hold it against 'em. These boys are minting money and are probably exceeding their goals.

If Ridgid has set the right standard, you may be amazed, if you're patient (don't blame you for not jumping in right now). It isn't Ryobi making things. Ryobi is just a brand. It's this TTI outfit ($1.2 bil and all) making things for a new niche, the Ridgid niche, and I'll give them some time to prove themselves.

Re-read Dave A's post... some of the WW cult names, Grizz, Powermatic, Wilke, etc., roll off the same lines, as do major components of Delta and others. It's not like Bosch is made by olde worlde German craftsmen, for that matter. All you need for Made in USA is to assemble enough subassemblies on this side of the ocean.

I am still waiting for that yellow tag on the 3612, however.

Typical marketing press release -a whole lot of hype and very little information.

"a new line of tools" -what are they!

My money says the contract calls for Emerson motors to be used in whatever equipment can be produced using Emerson morots.

Guessing game - new tools:
                          My wager says the first new tools for ridgid will be cordless tools - I'll bet they will come in kits - drill, CS, sawzall, worklight, charger and 2 batteries. It will be ridgid grey and orange.

I also like the "innovation" promise. But, Ryobi has had innovation, but had poor quality. So we shall see!

Sorry, but the point about PM and other brands having only a small selection of tools, kind of went right over my head! Sooooo???

Anyway---it will be interesting to see what happens. I agree that whatever is done, they need to improve the presence of factory reps at HD stores. I don't know if Ridgid ever realized just how many sales were lost to poor HD merchandising-----all you have to do is read the posts here. Let's hope that improves.

Hey Gmike!
                              Not too pesimistic are we! GM makes some amazing high end quality cars as well as some real sh1tboxes that they try to give away. We can't judge a company by only one product line.