No announcement yet.

biscuit joiner

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• biscuit joiner

ok i am curious. most manufacturers make an impressive biscuit joiner for around the same money. then there is lamello, who is apparently very proud of their biscuit joiner which has the price tag of over 600.00

what makes this tool worth that kind of money as compared to makita, dewalt, porter cable, etc?

You didn't mention Freud in your mix of Biscuit Jointers... I read on another forum Quote "Have you seen the Freud JS102 and the Lamello machine side-by-side? They are almost identical and the Freud is just slightly lower in cost

Charles M
    Freud, Inc."
    End Quote

Slightly lower in cost is the difference of $600.00 to $120.00...

I am going to give the Freud JS102 a try... Still quite a bit cheaper than the PC, Mak, and DW...
    Regards,<br /><br />Big Johnson<br /><br />Pictures: <a href=\" gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php\" target=\"_blank\"> gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php</a>

I have the Porter Cable biscuit cutter, which is relatively expensive (around $200 in the $60 to $200 league, not $600). If I were buying again, I would look for ...

- screw adjustment of the distance from the edge to the biscuit (PC does it well). I would avoid a cutter where you simply position and lock.

- a 135 degree setting. I ddiscovered it is great for putting biscuits into a miter joint. (PC may be the only one that does that trick).

- support for biscuits into a flat side rather than just into edges.

- easy depth adjustment for size #0, 10, and 20 biscuits.

The dust collector bag is useless on the PC, but otherwise it does a great job. It may also be the only one with the small blade for the tiny face frame biscuits.

Several reasons.

Lamello is the original manufacturer of plate joiners. If memory serves, they brought Dr. Steiner's design to production starting in 1957.

Everything Lamello makes has two things in common; high price, high quality.

Often, very often, you hear people say that their biscuit joiners -almost- align the work, but that there is a little offset easily removed by sanding. They aren't Lamello owners. Why is this important? Imagine edge joining plywood that costs four hundred to a thousand dollars a sheet. The face laminations are typically 1/40" or less, there is no room for sanding. This is the arena for which Lamellos are made.

Lamello makes multiple models of plate joiner. I've used the high end one, the Top20. To give an idea of its accuracy, there is a control for adjusting blade height, in tenths of millimeters.

I wouldn't have one, because I don't do that kind of work. If I did, it would be a fine investment.

Dave I am almost always amazed at your wide range of knowledge and I seem to learn a lot of really good stuff from you. [img]tongue.gif[/img] Thanks for being so willing to share your time and info on this forum.

[ 11-30-2002, 02:15 PM: Message edited by: thepapabear ]
          thepapabear<BR>When a bureaucrat has a hammer, everything begins to look like a nail.

Picking between the $200.00 and less machines that most woodworkers can justify or afford, what would be your choice and why? I am asking because I know you have had a chance to probably play with them all one time or another and I haven’t... Living in the sticks of Nebraska, there are barely any Biscuit Jointers around…
            Regards,<br /><br />Big Johnson<br /><br />Pictures: <a href=\" gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php\" target=\"_blank\"> gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php</a>

WOW dave, as always you surprise me with your knowledge. well done.

as far as the freud, i own the JS102, and it is a great machine. the fence is a little touchy but other than that a quality product. i had a makita that i promptly got rid of (see my earlier post i believe titled makita safety issue), and in retrospect somewhat kick myself for not spending a few xtra bucks on the porter cable, but the freud serves me well. i dont regret the purchase

Last year my Dad got me the Craftsman Professional model, except for the switch and top handle it is identical to the DeWalt...then as I was bopping through the manual what should I see but pictures of the DeWalt in some of the instructions. A quick call to my favorite Sears hardware guy (Dad) confirms that yes, the Craftsman model is made by DeWalt.
                He of course gets the employee discount + Craftsman Club discount, but as your looking, if you decide on DeWalt hop on over to Sears on a Craftsman Club sale day and save a few more bucks.

I know Sears Hardware guys catch a bad rep sometimes, my Dad has his qualms with the ones who work with him, but if you ever find yourself in Waldorf, MD. my Dad works part time at the Sears Hardware Dept in that local mall. He's been working wood for a long time and knows his stuff. Just ask for Bob.

No affiliation with Sears, huge affiliation with my Dad. Ha!
                \"Last year we couldn\'t win at home.<BR>This year we can\'t win on the road.<BR>My failure as a coach is that I <BR>can\'t think of anyplace else to play.\"<BR> - Coach Harry Neale, Canucks

Gosh, guys, I'm flattered. [img]smile.gif[/img]

I have a Porter-Cable 557. Charlie P listed several of the features. I would especially like to repeat the 135 degree fence. For making a corner cabinet, using biscuits is a very easy way to clamp up an otherwise tough assembly. With a 135 degree fence, you index on the outside of the joint, which is where you want the best alignment.

Something not mentioned about the 557, that even the Top20 doesn't have, is that the front handle is mounted to the fence instead of the motor. This makes it a lot easier to hold the machine stable when plunging, you have one hand still on the front handle and the other pushes the motor in.