X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TS3650 Customer Experience

I came across this post at woodcentral message boards. I could not the specific thread to copy. Their board is funny like that. But Here's main board. An I'm gonna cut & paste entire thread with responses from everybody

Main Link http://www.woodcentral.com/newforum/msgset.shtml

THREAD TS3650
    Subject: Ridgid 3650 woes
    Posted By: Planky
    Date: Wednesday, 31 December 2003, at 3:13 p.m.

My two month old Ridgid saw seems like it's falling apart at the seams. I've had a number of different issues, some small, some not so small. I'm fed up and need to vent and warn others. I've since read some of the problems with the 3650 TS, but also read many favorable comments on the Ridgid forum, so I bought the saw based on their input....guess I didn't do enough homework because I'm really not very happy with the saw.

Right from the get go I had the dreaded motor vibration. No biggie, HD swapped another motor for me. Problem solved. I also had the problem with the legs not being too stable, but have worked through that with additional bracing. The blade that comes with the saw is junk. I was initially impressed with the way it ripped through lumber until it warped. It also had some scoring probably due to blade flex. It's paper thin (well, about half the thickness of most thin kerfs anyway) and I realized after replacing with a standard width thin kerf blade that the reason it seemed to cut so effortlessly was because the ultrathin blade takes such a narrow swath. A good Freud TK 50T combo blade cuts more accurately, but now the motor seems considerably weaker, and doesn't take much to bog it down a bit. The fence is kind of a PITA too. It wants to lift out of the track when I slide it, and if I don't push just right it doesn't line up square, so I'm always measuring and double checking. Others have commented that it's more prone to damage because of the aluminum, but so far I haven't had the pleasure of that issue!

The straw that broke the camel's back - Yesterday while rolling the saw on the mobile base the left wing cracked right near where I was holding it! I called HD to bring it back under their 90 day return policy and was told that their policy is only 30 days, and that I'd have to pursue the repair under warranty. I got off the phone and double checked my info....technically HD was correct...their return policy is 30 days....Ridgid's is 90 days. So I called them back, spoke to the same person, and asked if I could return it under Ridgid;s policy...."No, not if the saw has been damaged" (#@$#@@!!!) Back to pursuing warranty for the wing, but that won't help me dump this POS and get on with my life! Hopefully Ridgid's CS will come through for me

Sorry for the long rant, but I've wanted a nice saw for a long time and am VERY disappointed. There's probably half a dozen other saws in this price range I could've bought. In hind sight why did I ever expect unbiased feedback from the Ridgid forum? "Hey Ma, do you think I'm cute?". "Yes my dumpling, you're adorable".

Thanks for reading....you've been warned
    ------------------------------------------
    RESPONSE 1
    Subject: Re: Ridgid 3650 woes
    Posted By: Mike Fercho...West Allis, Wi. lymi101@ameritech.net
    Date: Wednesday, 31 December 2003, at 3:37 p.m.
    In Response To: Ridgid 3650 woes (Planky)

Rigid warranty states you have 90 days to return to the dealer u bought it from. HD giving u a line of crock.
    ---------------------------------------------
    RESPONSE 2
    Posted By: Dave Wright, Paris Mountain SC dsnw@mindspring.com
    Date: Wednesday, 31 December 2003, at 4:06 p.m.

Thanks for the warning. A couple years back I looked closely at the then-current Ridgid saws in comparison to my old Delta Contractor saw. The Ridgid fell short on many points. Light aluminum trunnions instead of thick cast iron. Closed nut instead of open for height/tilt adjustment. Capacitor start only on the motor instead of capacitor start AND run. The list went on. Sounds like the new coat of paint hasn't made them better.

Hope you can get your money back,

Dave

Response 3
    Subject: Call Home Depot again *LINK*
    Posted By: Andy Wright from Allen, Texas andyswright@sbcglobal.net
    Date: Wednesday, 31 December 2003, at 4:31 p.m.

Ridgid definitely has a 90 day no questions asked return policy, and since Home Depot is the ONLY place you can buy Ridgid tools, then by default Home Depot should ghonor Ridgid's 90 day policy (otherwise Ridgid's 90 day return policy is meaningless?!?)

I would call a different Home Depot store to try and work out a return
    -----------------------------------------------
    Response 4
    Posted By: Jimmy from Central IL j.hoelzel@insightbb.com
    Date: Wednesday, 31 December 2003, at 5:36 p.m.

Not sure you would want to go this route. But when I worked at a place like HD, people would buy the product AGAIN, and return the broken one in the box. Then wait a couple more days and bring the new one back for a refund on that one.

Not the most honest way of doing business, but it would get your money back from the POS.

Jimmy
    ------------------------------------------------
    Response 5
    Subject: Sorry To Hear About
    Posted By: Howard In Toronto howr@rogers.com
    Date: Wednesday, 31 December 2003, at 6:01 p.m.

your problems with your TS.

I've had more than my share of build/assembly problems with different Ridgid tools I've bought and would NEVER EVER buy another thing they make.

If HD wants to keep flogging Ridgid as their house-brand, they'd better steup to the plate and satisfy your problems.

Woodworking in combination with the Internet is a BIG place - take advantage & create a ruckus on both levels - HD and Rodgid.

Howard

P.S. - with all due respect to the other fellow who proposed some sort of switcheroo - don't do it. You have a legitimate beef - you can afford to be direct.

-----------------------------------------------
    Response 6
    Subject: My 2nd post today on Ridgid and
    Posted By: Bill....Niagara Falls
    Date: Wednesday, 31 December 2003, at 7:00 p.m.

I suggest you get your money back or put it towards a Delta or anything but a Ridgid. When I first got back into power tools about 3 years ago I was on a tight budget and HD had a 20% off sale so I purchased a bandsaw, drill press, mitre saw, and shop vac, all Ridgid. The only unit I DID NOT have major problems with was the mitre saw. As explained in the other post, the bandsaw blade tensioner threads stripped even with no blade attached and I had to make my own, the drill press table will not tighten on the column as the tollerences are too big and the shop vac is deafening and I refuse to use it indoors. The drill press table yoke is so loose that it takes a piece of 120 grit sandpaper doubled over and inserted as a shim to tighten it to the column. Yes Ridgid sent new parts, no problem, but the new ones are no better than the OEM and HD is useless with their warranty. The sad part is that I was a milwright and used Ridgid pipefitting tools almost exclusively and they are the best. I never would have thought Ridgid would put their good name on this junk they sell for woodworking. Just my $0.02 and rant...WK
    ------------------------------------------------
    Response 7
    Subject: 3650 Update
    Posted By: Planky
    Date: Wednesday, 31 December 2003, at 7:28 p.m.

After I got done venting ealier today, I printed a copy of this post and took it to the tool manager @ HD. I convinced him that the cracked wing was not from abuse and that I wouldn't let up until I got some action. The store manager was gone for the day, but when he's available Friday, the tool manager said he'd get approval to let me swap the cracked wing for a good one. That should allow me to return that $600 lemon under Ridgid's policy so I can start from scratch. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Now... what should I get? Let's see if I can get it right the second time! I read a review about a General saw that was supposed be good, and I've seen some ads for a new Grizzly through mail order. In my price range the bigger names have fairly stripped down features. Are there any advantages going with a Delta or a Jet over the General? Recommendations and comments on any in the $600 range would be appreciated
    --------------------------------------------
    Response 8
    Subject: Re: 3650 Update
    Posted By: Mike Fercho...West Allis, Wi. lymi101@ameritech.net
    Date: Wednesday, 31 December 2003, at 7:36 p.m.
    In Response To: 3650 Update (Planky)

Get the General....Best buy from FWW magazine
    --------------------------------------
    Response 9
    Subject: Re: 3650 Update
    Posted By: RichD denhart@wcf.net
    Date: Thursday, 1 January 2004, at 11:36 a.m.
    In Response To: 3650 Update (Planky)

I just got the Limited Edition Delta contractor saw with 30" unifence for $688 from Woodworkers Supply. Not listed at that price in catalog but is at internet site. I'm very happy with the saw. I'm sure there are many other good options in that price range but after much research I went for the Delta 'cause I'm a big fan of the unifence and I figured resale would be good once I can afford the unisaw.
    Lots of good saws out there. You shouldn't have to go through so much pain on a new purchase.

Posted this b/c not everyone hangs out on Ridgid Post and it's an evaluation from a customer.

Jake

Glad it's not me. I'd want my money back too. I'd buy the General at this price range(he paid top $$. I would not buy a Delta as I've got enough friends who'll be more than happy to state similar things about their Delta's and Jet's and WONDER >>>>>>> why's this stuff even happens anyway? seems if a problem hits - it's not one thing but a mountain of 'em

Too many issues with this saw he discusses and owns. Period. You listening Rigid? HD will remedy but it should not happen.

Feel sorry for the guy. Feel sorry for my friends on Delta's issues. Felt sorry for me on DW issues. Why does this crap happen? Why oh why oh why
    That's a very frustrating forum to view and follow at wc. I'm having heck of time even finding this thread myself-any secrets to making it easier to use Jake?

Edited-dumb me-never changed preferences [img]redface.gif[/img]
    Know what I like to see? Pictures. I realize not everyone has camera but sure helps me out in grasping problems when they happen. And helps vaildate "who really is who" per se vs trolls trolling around.
    Same forum has opposite poles on Grizz products, especially jointer (8"). Never heard a negative word on it in my life until I stumbles across it a week or so back. Made me wonder as originator was similar in "handyworkmanship" posting, almost verbatum,in being very vocal against General unit that I had bookmarked from earlier this fall and I'd sent to fellow ww'er. So that was 2 posts - and the only 2 I have ever read negative on these 2 jointers.

It could be real and valid - it may not be. It's why I like pictures myself. Seeing is believing and understanding. Not saying it didn't happen mind you. Just interesting if ya will. And a way of ensuring trolls stay in their lil' ol' holes. The way things going right now "fer and against" a company and fact we know some find humor in Troll Game ---- just really makes me sleep better if ya will

[ 01-01-2004, 11:01 PM: Message edited by: Cranky ]
    Wish I had the answers ..... even half of \'em

Comment

it took me a while to figure it out. You just scroll through the links and click them on the upper half. And read them in the lower half. I like the info. Hate the web layout.. lol

I try to visit varied sources to get different perspectives.

Jake

Comment

HMMM, that post makes me think the guy was expecting a Unisaw. The blades that come with teh saws may be thin kerf, but not half as thick. also, putting a regular blade on will slow the speed of cut some, but if you want to just shove boards through, you'll need 3hp anyway. The wing problem, well I've never seen a cast wing crack after it's been bolted in, so I can't comment, but it does sound like there has been some enhancement of the story.

Comment

Originally posted by Cranky
          That's a very frustrating forum to view and follow at wc. I'm having heck of time even finding this thread myself-any secrets to making it easier to use Jake?[/QB]
          Try this link and see if you like this format any better; http://www.woodcentral.com/cgi-bin/messages.pl?index.
          Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

Badger Dave,

Thanks. How'd ya get this. All I could ever find was the split screen

Jake

Comment

Hope everyone had a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year here [img]smile.gif[/img]
              Sorry to read so many posts about the continuing tool problems on all these forums. Maybe 2004 will be the year of return of quaility and CS! One never knows.
              I had opportunity to be around a "wood working" production shop in southern Mexico. I had planned on a nice caribbean vacation of fishing, diving and water fun only. While traveling I came across a small shop (our standards) in a fishing village that had some unbelievable small cabinets and chairs. When inquiring I was told they expected a new shipment and maybe I could stop back. I did next day, and then the next too. On day 3 - a truck arrives tarped with pure treasures inside.
              My spanish is poor-drivers worse but he was headed back to "factory" and invited me to have a look. I understood it was short drive---nope. Almost 140 kilometers. When I get there the setting was unreal - cenotes surrounding shop area, lagoon out front, jungle to rear....narrow rutted rocky then sandy road lead in. Carved out of the jungle itself.
              They employee about 20 people - some are gone on commissioned projects in various areas. No power - a generator is there but rarely used. An old - no ancient - 24"-25" BS is there but has not been used in years. Everything - I mean everything, is done by hand. Foot powered lathe, scrapers, knifes, planes, everything 2-3-4 generations old. Employees ages 12 to mid 70's. A couple of transplants from US and one from Austria also there and had been for many many years. One guy had worked for and studied under Jim Krenov in mid-80's and found his final calling here.
              The product they make is magnificent - if it can be made from wood they do it and have done it. Many pieces are in various national Museums there and thruout S America I learned. The woods used are exotics and they have some I have never seen in any magazines, nor anywhere. Names I have no way of pronouncing - nor writing as it is lost in translation. The types of mahogeny was mind boggling but the one that really was my favorite was a type of rain forest "pine". Even there hard to locate but the grain was beautiful. Hard-strong. Wish I had way to get some home.
              Never seen such incredible craftsman in my life. Nor a product even remotely close in beauty. The oils they use are natural and combined with a type of beeswax, boiled, then reboiled and applied. 2 coats and that is supposedly it for life. I spent better part of 4 days making this drive back and forth - LOML was gracious enough to allow me to and she did her thing and we both had great trip. I plan on having my brother do a nice web site set-up when he gets time - I took over 40 rolls of shots of this whole thing. And plan on going back to learn next fall for 2-3 weeks (LOML said go for it!)
              Now I really am asking myself this - do I really need all these tools that I want? My eyes and views have totally changed. I watched them make things I could never envision being made by me with tools regardless of price and quality paid, much less by hand. With a speed that I cannot sucessfuly make even plywood bookcases with (well-I guess I could and that's a reach to say.
              No - I need to learn alot. From some real masters of the profession who can create beauty and art.
              What an eye opening experience for me - I need KNOWLEDGE. Not any more stinking wants in way of tools. And I still have a lot of years to learn I hope.
              Sheesh I ranting like a "Reborn Woodworker"
              I feel like one inside anyway - not to get that to my brain and then to hands and then to product.
              I am excited. And never been so happy in my life
              \"NowhereMan, are you listenin\', do you know what you\'re missin\', NowhereMan....\" Fab Four

Comment

Heaven forbid I ever have any tool have all these items happen - I might be inclined to have a broken back myself.
                Some questions pop up in reading.
                1)I've never heard anyone say they had similar motor vibrations issues.
                2)Only seen a couple comments about leg flex.
                3)Blade-toss away anything a ts comes with is always my belief
                4)Fence - this also a new one to me
                5)Wing cracking - first again.

Is this all really possible in one ts? Sounds very bizarre. Like a compilation of News of the Weird.

I once had a solid wing crack on my old Emerson/Craftsman ts (circa 1976) when I moved it when I lived in mountains. Likely temp made brittle or bad casting. More likely it was method I was moving or combination or all. The snap sound scared me to near death. Thought I was sitting on a fault line.

Motor vibration-bearing,arbor, many things could be involved but they replaced.

Leg flex?
                Fence?

Most is real news to me since most very pleased.
                This non-replacement matter-totally opposite of what HD has done for everybody I know. Some have abused this privilage badly but they still have taken back.

The guy needs to get refund. And different brand IMHO. If this is true he will never be able to overcome the mental picture of old one and be extremely fearful due to this.

I hope it was honest posting - so much, and new firsts at that, that I hate to say it but I am skeptical. Yet believe in this day and age - anything can happen. And Murphy's Law ensures when things do ___ they do.

Comment

Got to love murphys' law

You forgot the word

USUALLY!!!

Comment

Originally posted by woodworkerjake:
                    Got to love murphys' law

You forgot the word

USUALLY!!!

You got me ___ I blew it!

Comment

Not trying to hijack the post, but I couldn't pass on the opportunity to give the additions to Murphy's Law:

Allen's Axiom :
                      When all else fails, follow instructions.

Boob's Law :
                      You always find it in the last place you look

Schmidt's Law :
                      If you mess with something long enough, it will break.

Kaplan's Law of the Instrument :
                      Give a small boy a hammer and he will find that everything he encounters needs a pounding.

Paulsen's Law :
                      When anything is used to its full potential, it will break.

Segal's Law :
                      A man with one watch knows the time, a man with two watches is never sure.

Lowrey's Law :
                      It it jams, force it. If it breaks it needed replacement anyway.

Ralph's Observation :
                      It is a mistake to allow any mechanical object to realize that you are in a hurry.

Rosenbaum's Rule :
                      The easiest way to find something lost around the house is to buy a replacement.

Sattinger's Law :
                      It works better if you plug it in.

Forgot to add one....Here it is.

Flap's law
                      Any inanimate object, regardless of its position, configuration or purpose, may be expected to perform at any time in a totally unexpected manner for reasons that are either entirely obscure or else completely mysterious.

[ 01-03-2004, 11:07 AM: Message edited by: spowell ]

Comment

Working...
                      X