X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which fence for your bandsaw?

I have a new Delta bandsaw on the way and I want to add a fence. I will be using it for straight line cuts as well as resawing. Which fence do you have/recommend and why?
    Thanks,
    Mike

Re: Which fence for your bandsaw?

The Kreg fence seems to receive a lot of positive feedback from those who own one.
    Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

That is the fence I have running in my head as a first choice. I was hoping to hear from more folks based on experiences whether it is a sound choice or not. I am upgrading from a '70s Crapsman 12" that I have been using a shop made fence clamped to the table. So I guess any fence will feel like a Ferrari....
      Mike

Comment

That 70s Craftsman bandsaw is probably as good as any other 12" BS you are likely to get today. I'd hang on to that if you have room and keep a 1/4 or 1/8" blade in it for light work. It will save you changing blades on the Delta and with a little tweaking you can get very good results out of those saws.

I now have a Rikon 10-325 but I kept my early 80s Craftsman.
        Last edited by Bob D.; 02-13-2011, 07:24 AM.
        ---------------
        Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
        ---------------
        “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
        ---------
        "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
        ---------
        sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

That's just what I had in mind. I recently overhauled it from top to bottom. Aside from a few scratches in the plastic guard and some flaked paint, it is brand spanking new. I am not trading up because it is a bad saw, I primarily am looking for a much larger resaw capability. The craftsman is just too underpowered and height limited for my growing skillset....
          Last edited by Tin Can; 02-13-2011, 09:19 PM.
          Mike

Comment

Hi Mike

Dave is right about the Kreg, I was at a woodworking show and got to see the live demo of this product, If I needed a bandsaw fence this would be my first choice, very well built product.

I do own some Kreg tools like the pocket hole jigs and measuring tools and love all of them.

Cheers
            Glen

Comment

I have pretty well made up my mind on the Kreg. Now if I only had the saw to attach it to. It has been 6 weeks since the order was placed and I still don't have confirmation it has made it through the production cycle and is ready to ship. I called for a status Thursday but still haven't received an update. So the fence will just be collecting dust I guess.....

Thanks for the feedback and input. It was helpful. I do like what Kreg has to offer, so I am sure I won't be disappointed.
              Last edited by Tin Can; 02-13-2011, 09:29 PM.
              Mike

Comment

The Kreg bandsaw fence is great, I have it on my BS1400

Comment

Originally posted by Tin Can View Post
                  I have pretty well made up my mind on the Kreg. Now if I only had the saw to attach it to. It has been 6 weeks since the order was placed and I still don't have confirmation it has made it through the production cycle and is ready to ship. I called for a status Thursday but still haven't received an update. So the fence will just be collecting dust I guess.....

Thanks for the feedback and input. It was helpful. I do like what Kreg has to offer, so I am sure I won't be disappointed.
                  No problem on the feed back Mike I'm glad we could all help you make
                  the right choice.

Post some picture's if you can when it's all together so we can drool.

Cheers
                  Glen

Comment

a fence is great if your blade is perfect in wear and set, but if it is not one will need a fence that can set at an angle,

below is the best fence I have seen,

http://www.woodmagazine.com/woodwork...esawing-guide/
                    another version,
                    http://www.popularwoodworking.com/ar..._the_Band_Saw/
                    Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
                    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                    "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
                    attributed to Samuel Johnson
                    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                    PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

Thanks BHD. That is one of the highlights of the Kreg fence. They have built the capability to account for drift into the fence. The video on the Woodcraft site explains it better than I can.......

woodcraft.com/Family/2005244/KREG-Precision-Band-Saw-Fence.aspx
                      Mike

Comment

Working...
                      X