X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Super Tight Arbor Nut

I have a Rockwell RK7240 table saw. I decided to change the blade, but the arbor nut will not budge. I destroyed the flat wrench that came with the saw by trying to get the nut off. I have tried several wrenches and soaked the nut in WD-40 to no avail. I am thinking the arbor nut may have a reverse thread, but there is no mention of it in the very sparse instruction book that came with the saw. I have written the manufacturer, but have not received an answer so far. How can I tell if the arbor nut has a reverse thread?

Reverse thread or not, how do I loosen the blasted nut?

Re: Super Tight Arbor Nut

The arbor nut should always be loosened by pulling toward the front of the saw regardless of whether it has reverse or normal thread orientation. Right tilt saws tend to have reverse thread orientation, with the arbor nut being mounted from the left side of the blade as you face the saw. Left tilt saws tend to have normal thread orientation, with the arbor nut being mounted from the right side of the blade as you face the saw.

Unplug the saw, put a block in front of the blade, and put a big wrench on it and pull towards you...it should come. The blade should not be over tightened or it can distort the blade.

Comment

What he said. ^
      SSG, U.S. Army
      Retired
      K.I.S.S., R.T.F.M.

Comment

To my knowledge "most" arbor nuts are self bighting, and loosen in the direction of the blade is cutting, or the saw rotating, in other words, get a scrap or some thing to hold the blade, solid, and the turn the nut in the direction of the blades turning, use a box end wrench, Or quality open end wrench on the nut,

as far as being right or left handed would depend on the direction the arbor is and the blade tilt.
        Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
        attributed to Samuel Johnson
        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

Yep! Every saw that I have ever used has a so-called, "reverse thread". As previously stated, you loosen the nut by turning it in the direction of the rotation.

(Normally, threads are "Lefty Loosey, Righty Tighty"... well on a saw blade, it's normally opposite of that!)

Basically, the force placed on the blade while cutting should be to tighten the arbor nut. So with a blade that is rotating "clockwise"... the nut is tightened counter-clockwise. Otherwise the force of the blade could well loosen a normal thread. Hence the need for a "reverse thread".

BTW, you wouldn't be the first (or the last) person to question the direction to loosen an arbor nut.

AND... Welcome to the Ridgid Forum! Great place, lot's of good information and helpful members.

I hope this helps,

CWS

Comment

I want to thank everyone for their interest and advice. I have assumed that pulling toward the front of the saw would loosen the nut. As a last resort I held a suitablle wrench on the arbor nut and with my other hand slammed a good sized piece of lumber against the handle of the wrench. I did this until there were deep dents in the wood made by the impact of the wood hitting the wrench handle. This did absolutely nothing. The nut would not budge. I am beginning to think that someone at the factory thought it would be funny to weld the nut to the arbor. I can't think of anything else that would hold it that tight.

Comment

Get yourself some PB Blaster Penetrating Catalyst. You probably can find it locally for a lot less than what it's sold for at Amazon. Spray some around the the arbor and arbor nut and let it sit overnight before trying to loosen the nut.
              Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

I think you need some help from Archimedes... get a socket and a ratchet or breaker bar. Extended the ratchet with a piece of pipe. Make sure you are pulling toward the front of the saw. If you don't have this, you can extend your wrench with a pipe or by using two combination wrenches... hard to explain, but should work. Is the arbor rusted?

Comment

No rust. This is a brand new table saw that came with the blade installed. Today I got some PB Blaster and soaked the arbor nut several times over a period of a few hours. The nut will not budge. I read that sometimes it takes a few days. I have no choice but to keep at it.

Comment

Originally posted by BadgerDave View Post
                    Get yourself some PB Blaster Penetrating Catalyst. You probably can find it locally for a lot less than what it's sold for at Amazon. Spray some around the the arbor and arbor nut and let it sit overnight before trying to loosen the nut.
                    I got PB Blaster today and soaked the nut several times over a period of several hours. It still would not budge. I will go at it again tomorrow and until I run out of Blaster.

Comment

You didn't mention that your saw was brand new. That being the case, I'd just load it up in your trunk and take it back where you bought it. You don't need this kind of hassle with a new tool and besides it sure sounds like a warranty issue to me.

Comment

Hey, BD, what is a WOOKAHOLIC?

Comment

I agree with BadgerDave. With a brand-new saw you should not be having this problem and I would take it back to the merchant for service or better yet, replacement. Sounds like someone really over torqued the arbor nut on installation.

CWS

Comment

Originally posted by Pipestone Kid View Post
                            Hey, BD, what is a WOOKAHOLIC?
                            PK, a WOOKAHOLIC is an older fella that forgot how to both spell and fish.

Comment

I finally got an answer to an email I sent to The Blaster Corporation and was told that PB Blaster WOULD NOT loosen an overtightened nut. It is only good for rusted nuts. Now that's something interesting that I think everyone should know. Their advertising suggests it will loosen a tight nut, but apparently they lie just a little bit which is as bad as lying a lot as far as I'm concerned.

Anyway, my arbor nut is still tight and I haven't had time to get me a good wrench and a breaker bar, which is what I will try next. I'm only afraid I will do damage to the saw.

Comment

Working...
                              X