New bandsaw purchase soon.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: New bandsaw purchase soon.

There is no doubt that cast iron wheels will have more inertia which will overcome some resistance when cutting and lessen vibration in the machine. But, as I said, if the motor is sufficiantly powerful, there is no need for assistance from inertia. I was not saying there is not an advantage, just that it is not something I am willing to pay more for.

I think aluminum wheels get a bad rap mainly due to products that do not have machined wheels. Since aluminum can be die cast, it is possible (and is done) to simply cast the wheel and use it as it comes out of the die. Problem is that the wheel will not be truly round because the material shrinks as it cools and will shrink more where a spoke meets the outer rim, so will have slight dips over every spoke. Concave spots will cause blade flutter as the blade rolls off that portion of the wheel.

The Grizzly machines I have looked at (including my own) that have aluminum wheels, have wheels that are die cast and then machined. Bearing seats are bored, faces trued and the outer rim turned (mine has just over a thousandth run out).

I am jealous of the saw you are ordering. Looks like a very nice package. (been hoping Bob will adopt me so I can get a new Uni too rofl)
    Last edited by tomapple; 02-20-2011, 10:40 AM.

Comment

Great posts Bob and Tom! The funny part of all of this is that I still like that 17" Grizzly for $795.00 (with aluminum wheels) that I first posted. The price increase comes from adding a couple of extras and that saw shipped costing nearly as much, within a couple of hundred bucks, as the better equipped models. Well, I still have time to think it over as I don't plan on ordering a new saw until tomorrow, but I don't see a better deal for the money then the G0513X2B 17" 2 HP Extreme- at $1304.00 shipped.
      Last edited by Abbott; 02-20-2011, 12:47 PM.

Comment

Well I just phoned Grizzly to place my order for their 17" extreme bandsaw and they are back ordered for 4-6 weeks. I guess I will just keep an eye on Craigslist while I wait.
        Last edited by Abbott; 02-21-2011, 10:23 AM.

Comment

Don't give up! You can hold out for that BS of your dreams.

We will help you get through it. If we have to we will show up at your door for an intervention to see you through it.
          "It's a table saw, do you know where your fingers are?" Bob D. 2006

https://www.youtube.com/user/PowerToolInstitute

Comment

Originally posted by Bob D. View Post
            Don't give up! You can hold out for that BS of your dreams.
            That's exactly what I got from my ex-wife!

Comment

Originally posted by Abbott View Post
              Well I just phoned Grizzly to place my order for their 17" extreme bandsaw and they are back ordered for 4-6 weeks. I guess I will just keep an eye on Craigslist while I wait.
              Hmmm.. What about this one G0514X2B 19" 3 HP Extreme-Series Bandsaw with Brake
              Hey! it's not really that much more right? 19" and more power.. and you may not have to wait that 4 to 6 weeks

Cheers
              Glen

Comment

The saw I have settled on is likely more saw then I need but once a bit of research is done it becomes the best value for the money. If I could purchase their $795.00 model and pick it up locally without any added charges I would likely do it. I think that it is probably enough saw for what I do. However with the miscellaneous charges added in it becomes less of a value.

Comment

Working...
                X