X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New bandsaw purchase soon.

I am planning on ordering a new bandsaw in a few days and I am leaning towards a 17" Grizzly. I gave the 14" Ridgid saw (which I like just fine) serious thought but by the time I set the saw up the way I would want it they would be pretty close to the same price.

A riser kit, fence and quick blade tension release setup would have me into the Ridgid saw at about $650.00 to $700.00. I think that the Grizzly 17" saw that already has those features at $795.00 plus $94.00 shipping is the better way to go.

If anyone has any suggestions on other saws in that price range let me know...

Here is the one I am planning on purchasing at this time:

Grizzly model GO513P

http://www.grizzly.com/products/17-2...-Series/G0513P
    Last edited by Abbott; 02-17-2011, 08:39 PM.

Re: New bandsaw purchase soon.

i don't want to rain on your parade, but $900 for the griz is a ways from what the ridgid would cost you to set up as you indicated. here are the accessories you noted:

riser kit:
    http://www.grizzly.com/products/Rise...or-G0555/H3051

tension release:
    http://www.carterproducts.com/produc...d=20&cat_id=16

fence:
    http://www.factoryauthorizedoutlet.c...ts/KMS7200.asp

those total to $359. i'll sell you a NIB ridgid BS for $250, making your out of pocket $609. you could buy a lot of BS blades with close to $300 saved. and there are at least two threads at bt3central that detail less expensive ways to configure tension release mechanisms for the ridgid that cost quite a bit less than the $159 for the carter product.

the griz is a nice product, but $300 is still $300. if you need all the features of the griz, then go for it. just trying to make sense of the numbers.
    there's a solution to every problem.....you just have to be willing to find it.

Comment

Yeah, I figured the add-ons I want to be about $300.00. The saw itself I can get for about another $300-$350.00 or so. With shipping for the parts added in its likely another $50.00...the saw I can pickup locally...Home Depot 10% off or Harbor Freight 20% off...both are priced right at $400.00 new.

..we are both thinking the same thing. But I figured for the difference of a couple hundred bucks I might as well go with the 17" model.
      Last edited by Abbott; 02-18-2011, 01:35 AM.

Comment

The griz sounds like a better deal overall.

More powerful motor, 1" blade capacity, better dust management,
        larger table with better support, these are all things you can't upgrade on the BS1400.

One thing missing on the Griz is a foot brake. And CI wheels would be nice in place of the AL ones.
        Last edited by Bob D.; 02-18-2011, 05:35 AM.
        ---------------
        Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
        ---------------
        “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
        ---------
        "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
        ---------
        sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

Originally posted by bob d. View Post
          the griz sounds like a better deal overall.

More powerful motor, 1" blade capacity, better dust management,
          larger table with better support, these are all things you can't upgrade on the bs1400.

One thing missing on the griz is a foot brake. And ci wheels would be nice in place of the al ones.
          +1
          Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

The upgraded model comes with cast iron wheels, a better fence, better guides and a couple other features....for another $200.00. How much of an improvement are the cast iron wheels?
            Last edited by Abbott; 02-18-2011, 12:46 PM.

Comment

In my opinion if the motor has enough power, cast iron wheels are of little benefit on a band saw. (and without a brake, the added mass of cast iron wheels takes much longer for the saw to come to a stop)

Comment

Another $200.00 would move me up to their 17" Extreme saw with the following features;

G0513X2 17" Bandsaw 2HP w/Cast Iron Trunnion

SPECIFICATIONS:
                • Motor: 2 HP, 110V/220V, single-phase, TEFC capacitor start induction, 60 Hz, pre-wired to 220V
                • Amps: 20/10
                • RPM: 1725
                • Power transfer: Belt drive
                • Precision-ground cast iron table
                • Table size: 23-5/8" x 17-1/4" x 1-1/2" thick
                • Table tilt: 5° left, 45° right
                • Floor to table height: 37-1/2"
                • Cutting capacity/throat: 16-1/4" left of blade
                • Maximum cutting height: 12"
                • Blade size: 131-1/2" long
                • Blade sizes available: 1/8" - 1" wide
                • 2 blade speeds: 1700 & 3500 FPM
                • Wheels: fully balanced cast iron with polyurethane tires
                • Wheel covers: pre-formed steel
                • Blade guides: ball bearing with full enclosure protection
                • Bearings: sealed and permanently lubricated
                • Overall size: 80" H x 30" W x 20" D
                • Approximate shipping weight: 418 lbs.
                FEATURES:
                • Deluxe cast iron fence with extruded aluminum re-saw fence
                • Miter gauge
                • 4" dust port x 2
                • Quick change blade release/tensioner
                • Blade tension indicator
                • Larger 24" x 17" table
                • Micro adjusting geared table
                • Cast iron wheels
                • Height scale measurement
                • Blade tracking window
                • Includes 1/2" blade

The total w/shipping would be $1089.00. This saw comes with a resaw fence which I would like to have...I can keep on adding $$$ but I have to stop it somewhere...it's only another $200.00...and another...and..

I think this will be the one I order. http://www.grizzly.com/products/17-B...unnion/G0513X2
                Last edited by Abbott; 02-18-2011, 07:56 PM.

Comment

Well, it looked to me that for a mere extra $200 you can move to the 19" extreme. Comes in at $1295.... Bigger must be better.... And if it fits in the budget you have it is a nice saw and the added width is always nice, IMHO...
                  Mike

Comment

Originally posted by Tin Can View Post
                    Well, it looked to me that for a mere extra $200 you can move to the 19" extreme. Comes in at $1295.... Bigger must be better.... And if it fits in the budget you have it is a nice saw and the added width is always nice, IMHO...

Hehe, yeah, I know...its like a nightmare it just keeps getting worse! And for another $200.00 you can have whats behind door #3

Comment

Originally posted by tomapple View Post
                      In my opinion if the motor has enough power, cast iron wheels are of little benefit on a band saw. (and without a brake, the added mass of cast iron wheels takes much longer for the saw to come to a stop)
                      I was thinking that as well Tom. Where I am at is the resaw fence that comes with the cast wheels model is the fence I want. If I added it it would cost $100.00 so why not just pay the extra $200.00 and get the fence and quite a bit more features.

If the resaw fence came with the base model for $795.00 I would purchase that saw today. As it is I am still scratching my head for a couple more days.

Comment

It looks like I have arrived at this model for $1304.00 including shipping and a wheeled frame to roll it around;

G0513X2B 17" 2 HP Extreme-Series® Bandsaw w/ Cast Iron Trunnion & Brake.

Description
                        Grizzly is proud to offer these full-featured Extreme 17" Heavy-duty Bandsaws with cast iron wheels. The 2 HP motor powers through wood at a maximum 12" cutting capacity and the 16-1/4" throat is plenty for most applications. Features like the deluxe fence, extra wide cast iron table, heavy-duty miter gauge, dual 4" dust ports, micro adjusting geared table and double ball bearing blade guides are usually found on machines costing much more. And, the ISO 9001 factory designation assures high quality standards. The motor brake on the G0513X2B stops the blade in 3 seconds and ensures greater safety and faster production times.

SPECIFICATIONS:

• Motor: 2 HP, 220V, single-phase, TEFC capacitor start induction, 60 Hz, prewired to 220V
                        • Amps: 10
                        • RPM: 1725
                        • Power transfer: Belt drive
                        • Precision ground cast iron table
                        • Table size: 23-5/8" x 17-1/4" x 1-1/2" thick
                        • Table tilt: 5° left, 45° right
                        • Floor to table height: 37-1/2"
                        • Cutting capacity/throat: 16-1/4" left of blade
                        • Maximum cutting height: 12"
                        • Blade size: 131-1/2" long
                        • Blade sizes available: 1/8" - 1" wide
                        • 2 blade speeds: 1700 & 3500 FPM
                        • Wheels: fully balanced cast iron with polyurethane tires
                        • Wheel covers: pre-formed steel
                        • Blade guides: ball bearing with full enclosure protection
                        • Bearings: sealed and permanently lubricated
                        • Overall size: 80" H x 30" W x 20" D
                        • Approximate shipping weight: 418 lbs.
                        FEATURES:
                        • Deluxe cast iron fence with extruded aluminum re-saw fence
                        • Miter gauge
                        • 4" dust port x 2
                        • Quick change blade release/ tensioner
                        • Blade tension indicator
                        • Larger 24" x 17" table
                        • Micro adjusting geared table
                        • Cast iron wheels
                        • Height scale measurement
                        • Blade tracking window
                        • Includes 1/2" blade

http://www.grizzly.com/products/17-2...rake-/G0513X2B

I can't add anymore $200.00s without losing interest in buying another saw
                        Last edited by Abbott; 02-20-2011, 02:47 AM.

Comment

The advantage I see to CI wheels is the potential energy stored up in those heavy cast wheels. That inertia can help you power through cuts that might otherwise bog down a saw and they also make for a smoother cut in my opinion.

Yes you will be waiting for a half minute or so for the blade to come to a full stop w/o a brake. I would like to have a brake on my bandsaw as it does take some time for the wheels to stop spinning. I can walk away but I really don't like turning my back on a power tool when the blade is coasting down. I'd rather lose that 30 seconds and know what's going on and that the blade came to a full stop w/o incident.
                          ---------------
                          Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
                          ---------------
                          ---------
                          ---------

Comment

I agree Bob. I went up one more model (+100.00) and it has a brake which they say stops the blade in three seconds. It's the model for $1304.00 that is listed just in front of your post. I am going to think it over for the weekend and I think I will place the order on Monday.

Comment

Nice. I find myself wishing I had moved up to a 16 or 17" BS. At the
                              time I did not have 220V power run into the shop. Now that I do for
                              the table saw I realize I should have not let that influence even in
                              part my buying decision on the BS.

My Rikon 10-325 14" BS has 13" resaw capacity and is a huge
                              improvement over my ancient 12" Craftsman which operates just
                              fine and I have kept for light duty work.

Any time you need help spending your money let us (the forum)
                              know. We are expert at burning through other peoples cash. Just
                              look what we did for you...we got you from considering a RIDGID BS
                              for under $400 all the way up to a top-of-the-line Griz for roughly
                              TRIPLE that price AND you LOVE IT to boot. I think you will vote for
                              us next election day for sure.

Congress better watch out...there's a new bunch of big spenders
                              in town.
                              ---------------
                              ---------------
                              ---------
                              ---------

Comment

Working...
                              X