X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ridgid R4512 Table Saw -- Blade Alignment

Here is my new post about blade alignment. You can see the original here: http://furnitude.blogspot.com/2011/0...alignment.html

After all the hullabaloo I’ve made about being able to align the blade with the miter slot on a saw with table-mounted trunions, it’s time to actually do the deed. I got myself a set of feeler gauges to help with measurements. On my first take, I used a method I’ve seen in several places on the internet. It doesn’t require a dial indicator, which I don’t own. A friend is going to let me borrow one, but if I’m serious about this stuff I need to get one myself. Another thing I’m going to borrow is a good-quality saw blade. That will help me rule out errors caused by a so-so blade instead of the saw. I’ll be getting some new saw blades for myself soon.

I started my test by squaring the miter gauge. If that was out of whack, then it would make everything else that much more difficult. That process proved to be kind of annoying, since the fence moves on the Ridgid miter gauge when you tighten it. After lots of trial and error (more error than trial), I think I got it squared pretty well. Next I made sure the saw blade was perpendicular to the saw table. With that accomplished, I found a piece of cherry that had been jointed to a right angle and clamped it to the miter gauge. I turned on the saw and ran it through, making sure to go through the entire blade. With the saw turned off and unplugged, I positioned the miter gauge so that the just-cut-off piece of wood was near the front of the saw blade. I chose a saw tooth and carefully moved it back and forth against the cherry to see how much it rubbed against it. Then I moved the miter gauge so that the wood was near the back of the saw. I turned the saw blade so that the tooth I tested earlier was next to the wood. This is the critical measurement. Ideally, there should be no gap between the wood and the tooth or, if there is a gap, it should be miniscule – as in less than 3/1000th of an inch.

I got out my set of feeler gauges and tried the one for 3/1000th of an inch. It slid in easily, so I tried 4/1000th and 5/1000th. Turns out that the gap was 6/1000 of an inch. While that isn’t a large gap in the real world, it is unacceptably large for woodworking. On the other end of the spectrum, 2/1000th of an inch or so is acceptable. We aren’t making parts for NASA. And even if we were, wood swells and contracts so much that those measurements are fairly meaningless.

In the next couple nights, using a good-quality blade and perhaps a dial indicator, I’ll confirm my measurements and attempt to align the blade if necessary. Stay tuned.

Re: Ridgid R4512 Table Saw -- Blade Alignment

Looking forward to your update.

I'm in the process of assembling my R4512.

Mine's blade alignment is off something between 1/32 and 1/16 front to back :/ Measured from both tracks.

I fixed the fence alignment, which was off about 1/8. (rear more to the right compared to the front)

I may have to call about the front rail. The slide of the fence catches, when sliding to the left, closer to the blade. It hits the left part of the front rail, which is fatter / bigger than the right part??? It is aligned properly at the bottom and against the unit.

Comment

regarding the 2 piece front rail, there is a thread on here in which a poster noted a remedy for that condition. it may have been for the 4511, but i seem to remember it being for the 4512.

when aligning the blade and fence to the miter slot, try to use just one of the slots in the interest of consistency. it the miter slots are not parallel, it's probably time to contact the manufacturer about a replacement top.
      there's a solution to every problem.....you just have to be willing to find it.

Comment

Originally posted by FINER9998 View Post
        regarding the 2 piece front rail, there is a thread on here in which a poster noted a remedy for that condition. it may have been for the 4511, but i seem to remember it being for the 4512.

when aligning the blade and fence to the miter slot, try to use just one of the slots in the interest of consistency. it the miter slots are not parallel, it's probably time to contact the manufacturer about a replacement top.

My fix was easy, T3650 Fence and Rails + Cast Iron Extensions.

Comment

Originally posted by oldmacnut View Post
          My fix was easy, T3650 Fence and Rails + Cast Iron Extensions.
          the only "downside" to that solution is the abandonment of the t-square fence the 4511 was promoted with. personally, i prefer the front and rear lock fence of the 3650/60, but that's just a matter of personal taste. fence, rails and extensions have no impact, though, on the alignment procedure for the average table saw. that is what my comment about the consistency of the miter slot used in saw alignment was aimed at.
          there's a solution to every problem.....you just have to be willing to find it.

Comment

Working...
          X