X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Seeking Jointer opinion?

Hello all. I have been saving up for the Ridgid JP0610 Jointer and today I called to check the stock of my local tore and they said not only are they out but it's on clearance for $364. I called several stores in Los Angeles and San Diego and they all said the same. I called the home depot phone ordering number and they can order it but without the clearance price, it would be regular $429. So, since I have to order one, I came across the Grizzly G0654, which would run me the same price, plus or minus a few dollars. I honestly don't know the Grizzly brand or its reputation. I am looking for recommendations from you all. I love Ridgid and am a ridgid fan, but I do know that there are still other good brands out there. Can you guys chime in? Which one would you buy if prices were the same, and why or why not? I want a stationary unit, and the Grizzly comes with a mobile base where as the Ridgid does not, otherwise the specs are close to the same. Thanks for the help and input in advanced. Daron

Re: Seeking Jointer opinion?

I have the Ridgid JP0610 jointer and I love it. I found it online cheaper but they were doing the free shipping when I purchased mine. So I finally found a store that had one in stock. Unless you want to go to the bench top Delta model I would track one down, make them get one from another store to save you running around. JMHO

Comment

I have not used the Grizzly, and I am a fan of Grizzly tools ... however here is my opinion. What I do like about the Ridgid over the Grizzly is the adjustment on the infeed table. (the one adjustment that get the most use)

I like the fine tuning of the wheel on the Ridgid, the lever action on the Grizzly is ok, but I find with lever actions they often get "sticky" over time and next thing you are adjusting them back and forth to get the right height.

I would stick with the Ridgid for a unit of this size, in that price range.
      BTW .. if you go to your local HD, they should be able to tell you what stores have inventory of that unit so you don't have to drive all over to find one.
      Free woodworking plans

Comment

I vote for the Ridgid. I bought mine at Christmas and love it. My plans are for building a mobile base. Currently, here locally, HD has the jointer on clearance for $107. Problem is, all inventory is gone. As suggested, go to your closest HD, have them look in the system and find a store that has one. Then call that store to make sure they do in fact have it in stock, I drove 65 miles to pick one up only to find out the computer was wrong. The manager apologized and gave me 10% anything I bought.

Comment

here's an alternative opinion. if a store's system shows none on hand, go there anyhow and check all the overhead racks in and around the tool area as carefully as possible. i was in one of my local HDs looking for a band saw (bs1400). system said none on hand. found one in a box shrink wrapped to a pallet in an overhead. store had it for $202. tool area manager took off $50 and the store honored a HF 20% off any single item and tacked on another 10% "beat the competition" discount. i was out the door for $119.

i had the same experience when HD was clearancing the dewalt 735 planers.

when i asked how the system could show none on hand if they had a 200lb. machine in the store, they said "it's a clearance item. sometimes we just zero out the inventory to clear it from the system". the moral of the story is to go and check the store yourself. do not rely on HDs inventory management system to accurately reflect what's really on the shelves. HTH.
          there's a solution to every problem.....you just have to be willing to find it.

Comment

I had a similar situation when I bought my Ridgid jointer. System said none in stock, but there was one on the rack. I don't know anything about the Griz but the Ridgid is well made, easily adjusted and the lifetime warranty is hard to beat. I did put mine on a mobile base (HD had them on close out for $25). Good luck, Mike

Comment

I have one, and I paid $199. At that price, it's worth every penny. I do not think I would pay >$300 for it though. It's a basic machine, and works well for the price point. The stand is a bit poor, to be honest, but the cast parts are fine, and the only issue I've had is the dust collection chute wants to point down, and where I have the machine, I need it to point up. I reversed the chute, so it points up, but it could be better. Still, for $200, I'm not complaining.

Comment

Originally posted by mike65072 View Post
                I had a similar situation when I bought my Ridgid jointer. System said none in stock, but there was one on the rack. I don't know anything about the Griz but the Ridgid is well made, easily adjusted and the lifetime warranty is hard to beat. I did put mine on a mobile base (HD had them on close out for $25). Good luck, Mike
                just to clarify, ridgid does not presently offer a lifetime warranty. when the stationary tools were manufactured by emerson electric (and were colored gray), they did carry a lifetime warranty. today's tools, manufactured by one world technologies (and colored orange and black) may be registered with the current lifetime service agreement (LSA) which is a program of free parrts and labor for life. absent proper registration, ridgid tools generally carry a three year guaranty. BTW, ridgid's jointer was rated a top value in wood magazine's 03/09 6" jointer tool test.

Comment

I have a ridgid, it is fantastic looking... in the box that is, haven't had time to get it out and play with it yet..... some day though.

Comment

Originally posted by mike65072 View Post
                    I did put mine on a mobile base (HD had them on close out for $25). Good luck, Mike

Mike,

What mobile base did you use? I'm thinking about building one from scratch, but if there's one available, it would certainly be more timely.

Thanks,

CWS

Comment

mine sits on this one:

http://www.general.ca/site_general/a...l/50-025e.html

i haven't seen any mobile bases at HDs in westchester, putnam and dutchess counties in ny since they clearanced the universal herc-u-lifts years ago.

Comment

Got a copy of that receipt finer,I would love to show it to the HD by where I live as they have that bandsaw and I would like to get them to pm it,Thanks

Comment

Finer,

I have the Herc-U-Lift, and I don't see that it will fit the Ridgid jointer. No sample is provided and I don't see that any of the dimensions would provide for it, without some modification and probable instability.

I've designed a mobile base, but have yet to execute it. Being a bit time-challenge, my jointer is still unassembled NIB. I'm still debating on whether to move it to the existing basement shop or just wait to I get the garage-attached shop much later this year. I'm hoping Mike has used a Herc-U-Lift and if so, wondering how he did that.

Mike,

I'd appreciate any input you may have on your particular purchase, as I'm wondering if I've missed something with the "Herc"... which is the only mobile base that I've seen at Home Depot (a few years ago and long-since clearanced).

Thanks,

CWS

Comment

I hate to say this on the forum, but Lowe's has a mobil base "kit" that you just cut 2x lumber to the size you need and you have a base.. I saw it at the guy's house that i bought my b/s and planer from, it looked very easy to use and assemble. He's on this forum too, i'll look him up and find out more.

Comment

His name on here is TOD, he's a senior member in Fort Smith, Arkansas. Real nice guy. His mobil base looked good and he moved it very easily.

Comment

Working...
                              X