X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Natural Stone Restoration

Marble is made from compressed minerals capable of taking high polish. It is widely accepted as far as flooring is concerned and it’s true that no other natural stone can provide such a glamorous look. As the stone is very sensitive to acids and other chemicals it requires proper care and maintenance.
    Marble Polishing is a crafty task meant for only trained and well-equipped professionals who can perform the job efficiently. This task is a big "no" for the do-it-yourselfers though primarily it seems easy.
    The procedures of Marble Polishing include grinding, stripping, repairing, honing and polishing and the products include marble cleaners, etch or spot removers, sealers, e.t.c. but the vital part lies in the implementation of the methods effectively.
    Feel free to comment here anytime.Thank You!

Re: Natural Stone Restoration

I really do not know what your looking for, here, (IF I did not know better the post above looks like spam, but no link),

If you have marble floors and feel that a DIY polishing is beyond your skill or ability, then I would start searching the net and yellow pages for some one who can do it for you,

I would think one could do it your self if it is a small area, with the proper tools, to do a large area I would think you would need some large equipment to keep the floor flat and level look under terrazzo concrete polishing, marble and and natural stone, for some place to start,

For small areas there are places on the net and Ebay that sell pads and kits for stone counter tops, that should be able to be used for some small areas, on the floor,
    I have dealt with this company a little, (bought some of there how to videos, when I was considering stone counter tops), http://www.defusco.com/
    Last edited by BHD; 02-23-2011, 12:02 PM.
    Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
    attributed to Samuel Johnson
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

I am here to post articles on Natural Stone Restoration which will also include important information regarding the same.You can comment if you want or if you want to correct me in anyway! Thank You!

Comment

Originally posted by gloria20 View Post
        Marble is made from compressed minerals capable of taking high polish. It is widely accepted as far as flooring is concerned and it’s true that no other natural stone can provide such a glamorous look. As the stone is very sensitive to acids and other chemicals it requires proper care and maintenance.
        Marble Polishing is a crafty task meant for only trained and well-equipped professionals who can perform the job efficiently. This task is a big "no" for the do-it-yourselfers though primarily it seems easy.
        The procedures of Marble Polishing include grinding, stripping, repairing, honing and polishing and the products include marble cleaners, etch or spot removers, sealers, e.t.c. but the vital part lies in the implementation of the methods effectively.
        Feel free to comment here anytime.Thank You!
        I'm not sure many people would find your post very useful. I'm sure you mean well but there is not much info in there to be useful to most people.

The title says natural stone restoration but you then refer to marble in your post. Natural stone refers to many different kinds of stone such as granite, quartzite, marble, travertine, limestone, onyx etc. Each of these are different somewhat in terms of both fabrication and restoration. Granite and quartzite are hard stones whereas marble and travertine are soft stones. So it is common to cut and polish the softer stones with electroplated blades and pads as opposed to polishing with wet diamond pads for the harder stones.

Both fabrication and restoration of natural stone is involved and complex and I'm not sure you can give useful info to anyone with a short paragraph.

Comment

Originally posted by blue_can View Post
          I'm not sure many people would find your post very useful. I'm sure you mean well but there is not much info in there to be useful to most people.

The title says natural stone restoration but you then refer to marble in your post. Natural stone refers to many different kinds of stone such as granite, quartzite, marble, travertine, limestone, onyx etc. Each of these are different somewhat in terms of both fabrication and restoration. Granite and quartzite are hard stones whereas marble and travertine are soft stones. So it is common to cut and polish the softer stones with electroplated blades and pads as opposed to polishing with wet diamond pads for the harder stones.

Both fabrication and restoration of natural stone is involved and complex and I'm not sure you can give useful info to anyone with a short paragraph.
          Gloria may be more than just a little mis-understood...

I was actually searching for info/experiences w/ Sensa granite countertops; supposedly they have a factory applied finish w/ a 15 year warranty.

Comment

Originally posted by Bldr View Post
            Gloria may be more than just a little mis-understood...

I was actually searching for info/experiences w/ Sensa granite countertops; supposedly they have a factory applied finish w/ a 15 year warranty.
            I'm not familiar with that brand. However, I looked it up online and it seems like they sell slabs treated with their sealer. If you are considering using their product based on their 15 year warranty make sure to read the conditions carefully.

One thing that puzzled me is that they listed some very dense stones like Blue Pearl in their selection. Blue Pearl is a very dense stone that will not accept sealer. So I cannot understand how they could be claiming to seal it since most fabricators don't bother to seal it (no point as the sealer will just sit on the surface and will not be absorbed).

Comment

Blue-can,

customer has chosen Sensa based on availability at a local box-store; like to know what I'm getting involved in as well.

I will say, the samples represent a good looking product. The in-store display, however, was another matter. The joints were highly evident even from several feet away...I assume a hasty installation but, then again, why wouldn't such a demo showcase the absolute best?

In regard to the factory applied sealer, as far as I can tell it simply lessens homeowner maintenance in that, wait for it, the stone comes sealed & should not require re-application for the 15 year warranty period. In fact, additional treatment would void the warranty.

If this project proceeds well, I may use it myself.

Comment

Originally posted by Bldr View Post
                Blue-can,

customer has chosen Sensa based on availability at a local box-store; like to know what I'm getting involved in as well.

I will say, the samples represent a good looking product. The in-store display, however, was another matter. The joints were highly evident even from several feet away...I assume a hasty installation but, then again, why wouldn't such a demo showcase the absolute best?

In regard to the factory applied sealer, as far as I can tell it simply lessens homeowner maintenance in that, wait for it, the stone comes sealed & should not require re-application for the 15 year warranty period. In fact, additional treatment would void the warranty.

If this project proceeds well, I may use it myself.
                From what I read the product simply refers to the slab. This is why you need to read the conditions carefully. During fabrication for example the fabricator may route shape and polish the edge (based on what the customer wants). All exposed stone during fab will lose the sealer. So who is liable if the edge becomes stained? Can the manufacturer claim improper install to get out of paying for the warranty?

This brings me to what you saw in-store. The quality of the slab and sealer can be ruined by a poor fabricator/installer.

I can point you to a couple of websites where you can pose your question and get a better informed answer. People on there do this for a living and can help answer your questions.

www.stonefabricatorsalliance.com

You can also try www.stoneadvice.com but that's the SFA's old site and don't think there is much activity on there.

Comment

Working...
                X