Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What a great invention for wood splitting

I found this by accident on youtube.

I split wood for years as a kid. Probably got steel in my legs where the metal would fly off the wedge when trying to drive it through, split the wood.

I cannot begin to describe some of the difficulties with the different types of wood I encountered.

Looking at this video however, the design is stellar. Light as well. LeverAxe

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XBsNxfB9ZCMhttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=acBdvv8wA6w
    Last edited by DUNBAR PLUMBING; 02-24-2011, 10:50 PM.
    Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Re: What a great invention for wood splitting

Oh God ! The sledge and wedge..nightmares are coming back..It's probably been a good 17 yrs. since that has happened..I never owned a maul either I ran gas to my fireplace and installed a set of gas logs and never looked back
    ''Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" Benjamin Franklin

Comment

this was my solution to the wood splitting problem,
      when the price of diesel shot up, I put a Honda motor and it own hydraulic system on it.
      Attached Files
      Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
      attributed to Samuel Johnson
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

Originally posted by BHD View Post
        this was my solution to the wood splitting problem,
        when the price of diesel shot up, I put a Honda motor and it own hydraulic system on it.

That looks solid as a rock. Far better than the ones you rent.

My uncle built one decades ago. It was a prototype and the wedge got tore off numerous times.

He wanted brute force so he went with a system that was extremely slooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooow on the forward and even sloooooooooooooooooower on the return.

And it would stick in position and not kick off when it reached its distance. In other words, a lot of work and down time between splits.

In all the years I split wood, I bet we didn't rent a log splitter but maybe 3 times. The rest was all split by hand.

Makes me realize where I came from and how good solid hard work was a part of life. Did we gain from it all? Probably, but you cannot see it now in savings as we've abandoned the design altogether.

I'm trying to sell a pellet stove for my aunt on craigslist, those work quite well.
        Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

that lever axe looks interesting, but doesn't look like to me that he ever cut a very large piece off that chunk of Elm.

BHD, that log splitter looks super nice for a home made one.

couple months back my dad finally bought a log splitter, we looked at several and we liked this one from northern best http://www.northerntool.com/shop/too...&issearch=1114
          thing i really like about the ones that you can *stand up* is you dont have to pick up the really heavy pieces, get a couple of them rolled over to the splitter and cut them in half or quarters then cut them down to size standing up.

Comment

the thing I like about mine, is with the wedge on the rear of the unit, (also since that picture I have added "wings" on it,) so not ever thing has to be balanced on the I beam,
            (I will try to get a new picture of it here in a day or so),

but with the wedge on the rear of the unit, I do not have to move any of the split wood, it will just keep pushing out behind the splitter, it will push up a pile about 8 to 10 foot behind the unit and will build up to about 6 to 8 foot wide, about 4 or 5 foot high,

I thought about making a tilting beam on it, but decided against it, at times I do wish I had a little more cylinder, (all we have nearly is elm and some of the crotches are really tough), but it will pop apart a 36" elm trunk section fairly easily if it is straight grain not a crotch, I have cleaned up all my own trees and now usually take the pickup over to the neighbors and have to load the sections into the pickup and the wings or table on the splitter is the same or nearly the same height as the tail gate of the pickup, so one after loading has little lifting to do, (I only split the wood that will not fit in the stove we have), so any thing that will go in rarely gets split),

my son made one it is kinda crude, but he Incorporated it into the hitch of the wood hauling trailer he had, so as he splits the wood and fills the trailer at the same time,
            (the thing about my sons was he went to the scrap yard and was able to get ever hing he needed for about $35, the Iron, the I beam, and the cylinder), ever thing but the hoses, I think he had it put to gether in a few evenings, (he has PTO hydraulics on his pickup truck),
            He has this I think 8 inch I beam and this little trailer and the splitter on the I beam, but it also doubles as the tongue of the trailer, and I said to him I think the tongue on the trailer is a little small, LOL
            Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
            "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
            attributed to Samuel Johnson
            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
            PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

Working...
            X