Removing Heavy Rust

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Removing Heavy Rust

This may be slightly off target but I need some help.

My Dad passed away a while back and last week my Mom found some tools, woodworking hand tools and mechanics tools, in a large metal tool box in a separate storage shed they have.

The problem: These tools have probably been in there for five or six years and the shed had leaked so they are totally coated with rust. This rust is severe!

I really want to keep the tools and get them back into as good a condition as possible. Any suggestions on removing the rust with out destroying the tools? I thought about using Navel Jelly, but someone told me it removes metal and leaves pitting.

Thanks

Jim D.
    By my hand As best I can.

Jim

WD40 and 1000 grit wet sand is a good way to start to remove the rust. Depending on what you have, it may well be worth it. I would suggest that you clean the tools off first by soaking them for several days in just a 30# oil. This will help lift the loose rust and dirst. Careful with any painted surfaces, as you will want to try and save the paint if possible.
    Support Our Troops!
    www.mnpatriotguard.org
    www.patriotguard.org

Comment

Jim,

I think this site my be helpful.

Bob R

(forgot to list the site)

http://users.interconnect.net/nlinds...ectrolysis.htm

[ 04-10-2003, 07:43 PM: Message edited by: Bob R ]

Comment

Bob got to it before I did...works great, I eliminated the rust on a set of headers using that trick!!
        Kelly C. Hanna<br /><a href=\"http://www.hannawoodworks.com\" target=\"_blank\">Hanna Woodworks</a>

Comment

JimD: I have had good luck removing heavy rust using Naval Jelly in the past. Just wear rubber gloves and give it time to work. It even got rust down in the pitting. You can find it at almost any good hardware store.

Tommy

Comment

Jim

i will assume you have tackled your problem by now but i just came across an article in a wood working magazine on this very subject. a green scotchbrite pad cut to fit under an orbital sander and using wd-40 or mineral spirits to lubricate. i am going to be doing this to mine in the next week or two.

out of curiosity, if you have solved your problem, what worked for you?

ed
            \"A SHIP OF WAR IS THE BEST AMBASSADOR\"<br /><br />OLIVER CROMWELL

Comment

I have never used this stuff myself but maybe someone else has and can comment.
              http://www.orisonmarketing.com/evaporust.htm
              ================================================== ====
              All of us could take a lesson from the weather. It pays no attention to criticism.

Comment

Working...
              X