X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ridgid lathe problem

Hi everyone, I have a ridgid mono tube lathe http://www.ridgid.com/Tools/WL1200-W...e/EN/index.htm and I didn't have any problems the first couple weeks I had it everything was in round, then I used a small rubber mallet (which I shouldn't have) on the tailstock to seat the tailstock live center and spur center into a spindle I figured since it is cast iron shouldn't hurt it, dumb move... now everything I turn is out of round ,almost in an extremely light "s" shape. I have checked the centers and adjusted the tube and tailstock adjustments and have it lined up, but still out of round Is there anyway I could have bent the live center out of whack? It seems to be worse at the tail end. Any help would be appreciated. BTW I can't afford a new lathe before I hear it. haha

Thanks Matt

Re: Ridgid lathe problem

If it is a dead cup tail center (the truth is it should not matter if the thing is bent or out of wack by a 1/4 inch or even an inch it should turn true), or round,

If the head stock is turning in a given point, and the tail stock center is rotating in a given point, the item nearly has to turn round, now if there is a vibration some where and it sets up in unison you could have a shape form,

the only way I could see some thing turning out of wack like you say, is if there is a bearing or some thing giving and moving in some repative way, that is moving in a vibration.
    a live center may have a bad bearing or even the head stock or did you lock the screw on the tail stock, (If I remember the tail stock on that unit has a screw for a shaft on the tail stock)
    Just looked at the picture, and it shows a live center, (I would possibly replace the live center and see if the problem still exists, at least check it out and see if you can feel an thing loose or not running true, )

wood lathes have been made out beams and construction grade lumber with wood head stock and even tail stocks and they will turn true,

I have a little lathe that was a kit, and the head sock and the tail stock points do not line up exactly and it turns true,
    Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
    attributed to Samuel Johnson
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

is it out of round on both ends?

is your wood dry?
      Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
      attributed to Samuel Johnson
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

Thanks for all the info, it's a weird problem, the wood is dry and more out of round at the tail end than the head end maybe I will try a new 60 degree live center.

Comment

Working...
        X