Using router bit inside of frame

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Using router bit inside of frame

I have built a square frame using butt joint's for some doors on a cabinet. I would like to round over the edges on the inside of the frame using my router. I am concerned that the bearing on the bit will not allow me to get tight into the corners. I know this happens when I am using my rabbit bit. Is there away around this? Thanks Bob

Re: Using router bit inside of frame

Originally posted by bob_m View Post
    I have built a square frame using butt joint's for some doors on a cabinet. I would like to round over the edges on the inside of the frame using my router. I am concerned that the bearing on the bit will not allow me to get tight into the corners. I know this happens when I am using my rabbit bit. Is there away around this? Thanks Bob
    You should be able to get close enough to finish it by hand.
    If this is a design element, then you may consider stopping
    the bit a couple of inches from the corners. Try it on scrap
    to see how it looks. Or you could try using a chamfer bit,
    getting as close as possible and finishing it with a chisel.
    The flat edge will be easier to pare down than a round over.

Comment

You need a small pilot roundover bit. They use a small brass pilot. You have to have a light touch to avoid burning the wood, and don't let the router stop in the corner. If you do, you can remove the burn mark with a scraper.

Whiteside makes them. Possibly others as well. I have several in different radii, for exactly this situation. Very handy.

Comment

>You need a small pilot roundover bit.<
        Is the idea to get as close as you can with a standard roundover and then come back and finish with the small pilot? Thanks Bob

Comment

No, I just use the small pilot bit for the entire cut inside the frame. I always use a very small radius for my face frames, and generally make the cut in one pass.

In addition to not burning the wood, take care to keep your router from tipping. It needs to stay as vertical as possible during the cut to get a nice clean roundover.

Comment

Thanks!

Comment

Hope it works out for you. Good luck!

Comment

This could also be accomplished w/o a bearing but using a guide bushing and template.
                The bushing would ride against the template. Without a bearing you could reach tight
                into the corner. There would still be the small area in the corner itself that may need
                some hand finishing depending on the router bit profile.
                "When we build let us think we build forever. Let it not be for present delight nor for present use alone. Let it be such work that our descendants will thank us for, and let us think, as we lay stone upon stone, that a time is to come when these stones will be held sacred because our hands have touched them, and that men will say, as they look upon the labor and wrought substance of them, "See! This our fathers did for us."
                John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

Comment

Working...
                X