X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OT: Brad Nailer

Not a question about Ridgid Tools... I'm looking for an 18g brad nailer and a nice little compressor. I see cheap compressors on the internet and (cheap) nailers but I have no experience with these tools. I am best off going with a name (ie. Porter Cable)? By the way, it seems to me Ridgid would sell a TON of brad nailer/nice little compressor combos if they had such a thing.

Any suggstions are greatly appreciated...

Thanks
    p.s. I got my new TS2424 tuned up, waxed the table, and retro fitted it with a 4" dust collection port... What a jewel.. plenty of power and dead accurate..

I know that most people think Harbor Freight has mostly junk tools (I happen to agree) but there has been a couple of tools I have purchased and have been VERY happy with. My 18 ga brad nailer (~$30.00) small double tank air compressor(~$100.00) and a 10" sliding compound miter saw (~$100.00). I have used the heck out of these and they have never let me down. The best way to shop them is to sign up for their catalogs and keep multiple copies to compare and trend the prices.
    www.harborfreight.com

Have fun!
    Every project I start is a gamble.

Comment

You won't be disappointed with the larger of the two Porter-Cable brad nailers (I think the number is BN200A). However, you will be disappointed if you settle for a "nice little compressor." It is virtually certain that once you get into air powered tools you'll want more of them, and small compressors just can't keep up. Settle for nothing less than 4.5-5 SCFM.

Comment

Karma,

I shopped around for quite some time in my search for a brad nailer and air compressor. I finally settled on the Paslode 18ga nailer and the new Dewalt/Emglo 4 gallon compressor. Both have performed nothing short of spectacular. The nailer shoots 5/8" to 2" brads and the compressor has no problem keeping up with it or my framing nailer. I went with Paslode due to the easy access to parts should I ever need any and it is extremely light weight. It has an adjustable depth of drive and see through magazine so you can see how many nails are left. I went with the Dewalt compressor because I don't really care for the pancake style and it is oil-lubed for longer service life. As I stated earlier both have performed exceptionally well. Hope this helps.

Gregg

Comment

Just more input....I went with the porter cable 16g finish nailer/ pancake comp combination ($300 at Home Depot or WoodWorkers Warehouse). The nailer shoots from 1/2" to 2.5" 16g's with no effort at all. Both dealers also carry a brad nailer/ comp combo for less. If all you'll ever do is use it for nailing, it (the compressor) will more than do the job. It easily handles brad, finish, or framing nailers. However, if you'll be powering air tools and sprayers, you'll need a beefier compressor for sure.
          Wayno

Comment

I have a Grizzly 18ga nailer (G6046) purchased in Sept of last year and it has worked flawlessly. It uses 3/8" to 1-9/16" brads.

Comment

I have both of Porter Cable's brad nailers and their finish nailers as well (can you tell I'm partial to PC). All of them have performed flawlessly and I'm very pleased. For a little more money, Paslode is in my opinion considered the industry best or at least standard. If I were to only have 1 brad nailer it would be the BN200A over the BN125A as it accepts a wider range of brad sizes. Hope that helps...good luck!
              - Tim

Comment

I have the Bostich Brad Nailer/Stapler, Air compressor combo. It has been fantastic. It was fairly reasonably priced ($279.00)and has yet to jam or double feed on me.

Comment

I recently purshcased the Bostitch 18g brad nailer and I have build a book case with it. It is very light and works perfectly. I already had a compressor. I would definately by the Bostitch again.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Karma:
                  Not a question about Ridgid Tools... I'm looking for an 18g brad nailer and a nice little compressor. I see cheap compressors on the internet and (cheap) nailers but I have no experience with these tools. I am best off going with a name (ie. Porter Cable)? By the way, it seems to me Ridgid would sell a TON of brad nailer/nice little compressor combos if they had such a thing.

Any suggstions are greatly appreciated...

Thanks
                  p.s. I got my new TS2424 tuned up, waxed the table, and retro fitted it with a 4" dust collection port... What a jewel.. plenty of power and dead accurate..
                  <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
                  John

Comment

Working...
                  X