X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New DP1500 Problem

I just bought your Ridgid 1500 drill press. What has me puzzled is that the drill will only travel about 1/2 inch at times. If I move the table down, the full length of travel returns for a while to disappear later. The depth stop thumb screw is as loose as I can get it.

What am I screwing up?

Michael

Sounds like your depth stop is busted. The Ridgid press (even the new one DP 1550!!!) uses the ring style depth stop that most consider to be inferior.

NOt sure how to repair. You may need to return it. You may want to consider getting a new press with the superior Nut system depth stop.

Comment

Micheal,

It does sound like there is a problem with the depth stop. I imagine the shoe that the screw tightens onto has broken. To remove the depth stop you'll need to remove the spindle.

First crank the table all the way up so the quill is supported when you remove the spindle. Remove the two nuts on the left hand side of the head. Carefully pull outward on the spring housing and gently allow the spring to relieve tension, then remove it. Pull the spindle out on the right side allowing the quill to rest on the table. You should be able to pull the depth stop ring off and see if any parts are broken.

BTW: I have to disagree about the depth stop system. The linear system is nice, but it has to be removed to use a mortising kit, since the mount for the depth stop rod is clamped in the same place as the mortising yoke. Also I can set a rotary depth stop much quicker. Simple loosen the thumbscrew and set the ring at the zero mark. Using your stock lower the bit to the depth you wish to drill, then lock the thumbscrew.

Jake

Comment

Originally posted by ToolFreak:
        Sounds like your depth stop is busted. The Ridgid press (even the new one DP 1550!!!) uses the ring style depth stop that most consider to be inferior.
        Originally posted by JSchnarre:
        BTW: I have to disagree about the depth stop system. The linear system is nice, but it has to be removed to use a mortising kit, since the mount for the depth stop rod is clamped in the same place as the mortising yoke. Also I can set a rotary depth stop much quicker. Simple loosen the thumbscrew and set the ring at the zero mark. Using your stock lower the bit to the depth you wish to drill, then lock the thumbscrew.
        Jake
        Jake;
        How accurate and repeatable is this depth stop?

I would like to use a drill press to mill a large number of cases. I need the drill press to stop at the same point every time. Will the Ridgid do this?

[ 12-27-2003, 10:49 PM: Message edited by: fnbrowning ]

Comment

This brings large frown, but Jake is no longer with us. He was one of the moderators of these forums. Since replace by Bob Dueker.

I can say, I own the DP1550. I have used it for mortising and drilling. Both in repeated specific depth holes. Even after changing table heights and bits, it is very VERY easy to calibrate and set to a specific repeatable depth.

One of the reasons I choose the Ridgid drill press was the stop mechanism. Not the HP, not the spindle travel, not the speeds. The speed and repeatability of the stop, which is critical in precission work.

I'm affraid the other reasons I choose the machine have changed, and I care not to open that can of worms...agian.
          John E. Adams<br /><a href=\"http://www.woodys-workshop.com\" target=\"_blank\">www.woodys-workshop.com</a>

Comment

Working...
          X