First Router

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The saga continues ...
    First and foremost I am getting the TS3612 this weekend. After I get what I need for it, IF there is any money left over, I will consider the router purchase. It may just have to wait. A friend has let me borrow his older Chicago Electric No. 2218 Plunge for the time being. It takes 1/2" bits, which is good ... I don't have any of any type, which is bad So, I may invest in some 1/2" bits and "force" myself to get a 1/2" collet router later, when I can. I can afford the Ryobi now with a HD Gift Card. Of course the PC 9690LR is only $128 and they actually had the 693VSPK in stock at $199 which seems like an excellent deal. I expected it to $200+ and wonder if HD has made a pricing mistake??? They still have the old 693PK and the new 693LRPK at $198 according to the posted signs. I had to ask for a price on the VS kit. At $199 I almost feel like I should snatch it up! I am fairly certain my immediate routing future will simply be round overs and other "decorative" edge work. VS doesn't seem to be that big a deal for what I will do. Decisions, decisions ....
    Alan
    My Shop

Comment

Alan,

If that's the router you want, Amazon has it for 189.99. Since you stated that your buying the table saw, maybe the extra $10 will help.

Bob R

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...&s=hi&n=228432

Comment

Finally made this decision ... I went ahead and bought the Ryobi RE180PL at HD for $99. I did the Tool Trade 10% off thing to save $10. I really didn't have this is the tool budget but have some upcoming projects that need a router. Spent some time with it today and think it will serve me well as my first router. Very pleased with this purchase.
        Alan
        My Shop

Comment

well i hope it serves you well. i personally would never buy one. (ryobi). but for you this might be all you need. especially if you dont plan to use it all that often. do yourself a favor and put a quality bit in it. this will help your quality somewhat. and once you get comfortable with it, you should be able to make it suit your needs. i have gotten away from the mentality of buying "my first" anything. i figure that if i spend a few extra bucks my first will, with good care and upkeep, will also be my last. i like to buy my tools once.

ed
          \"A SHIP OF WAR IS THE BEST AMBASSADOR\"<br /><br />OLIVER CROMWELL

Comment

Yeah, me too. My smallest router is a Skil 3/4 hp that I bought in 1958 when a hp was a hp.

Comment

I totally agree, there is nothing more frustrating than having to replace a tool (and explain to the wife why you need another one when you already have one). If you enjoy woodworking and know it's more than a passing fad, spend the money. I am reminded of the saying, never be afraid to buy the best, you will always be happy with it.

Comment

Working...
              X