jointer

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• jointer

I am looking to buy a new Jointer, 6". I am wondering if anyone has the Ridgid Jp0610 and if so, what are your thoughts on it. I am also considering Jet and Delta. Any help would be appreciated
    Mike P

hi Mike-would you consider contacting me at rblack@sympatico.ca My server will not let me thru to you bob

Comment

I am very pleased with my Ridgid jointer. It works well, cuts smoothly, retains alignment well, and is easily aligned (e.g. after sharpening the knives).

My only reservation has nothing to do with the machine itself. When I first got it, it was mainly used to straighten and square edges. As my work improved, I have learned to use it (as I always should have) to flatten boards as well. In that mode, the 6 inch width is minimal. As I do more with hardwoods, I am dropping to lower grade lumber, which is FAR cheaper, but tends to have narrower "good parts" and thus require more glue-up. In that mode, the 6 inches should be ample. Ask me again in a year whether I have gone back to FAS grade, and want a wider jointer, or am staying with the #1 common at less than half the price.

Comment

Thank for the input Charlie P. As it happened I phoned Home Depot after I posted my note, and they had the jointer on sale for 399 (Canadian) so I headed there and bought one. So glad you had no problems with yours. Cheers
        Mike P

Comment

I have the Delta Deluxe 6" open base jointer and am reasonably happy with it. Based on what I've heard and read about the Rigid, if the choice is between this model Delta and the Ridgid, I would probably go more on the basis of price. I'm not sure which is cheaper. I wish I had bought a closed base jointer though--less vibration and more dust collection.

Comment

I WISH I COULD BUY A NEW RIDGID 6" JOINTER FOR $399 CANADIAN . THATS THE BEST REASON I"VE HEARD TO MOVE TO CANADA!!!!

...AND YES. I AM YELLING!!
            keep makn\' sawdust!...just don\'t breath any.

Comment

Hey Mike....have you assembled the jointer yet! I found that the assembly went fairly smooth. I had to do minor setting up of the outfeed table. Does an excellent job! Glad you got one at the price that would probably make Greg move to Canada! All of the sale stock in the Orangeville store has sold out. I hope Greg and the others south of the border were able to get a good deal. The jointers were the next to go after the TS3612s sold out...thats for sure! If anyone out there has seen any residual old stock still around in the Canadian or US HDs, please post it for the benefit of others! Thanks!

P.S. Greg...the beer is good up her too but not as cheap as it is in the US! Also, you would have to plan on insulating the dog house for sure if the better half caught you buying any more tools. Nice shop pics (second house?) by the way!

Chris
              [img]smile.gif[/img] [img]smile.gif[/img]
              Chris Berg

Comment

Does anyone know what the status of the jointer and the planer will be for Ridgid in the future? Will they be replacing them with new models?

Comment

onw word of caution if you have to set it up yourself get some help its one heavy sob and awkward to handle.bill

Comment

Hi Chris, I set up the Jointer today and didnt have to make any adjustments. I tried it and it works fine. It is a little heavy but I managed to get it set up without any help. The hardest part was trying to turn it right side up after I finished the set up.
                    Actually there were two left in the store in Calgary, plus a floor model that the guy was setting up and there are apparentyly ten in Red Deer at that price. If I lived close to the border I would make the trip up here. I figured I saved 250 dollars Canadian on the regular price.Seems to be a great machine
                    Mike P

Comment

hey Bergy, how about you bringing down a jointer for me , hey?(thats Canadian ) I'll put you up in the "dog house", feed ya some crawfish etouffe', oyster po-boys, and blackened redfish(all home cooked I might add)Heck, we'll even drink some Dixie beer!( not quite as smooth as Molsen Golden)...but just as cold. I bet you'd never go back to the great white north.
                      keep makn\' sawdust!...just don\'t breath any.

Comment

Working...
                      X