X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My take on the ZCI

After reading many questions and answers about zero clearance inserts,I decided to take pictures
    and post them,to show how I made My ZCI.
    After decommissioning a rather large robot at work,We kept an assortment of aluminum plate for home projects.
    After making several of various materials,I decided to make a reuseable insert with replaceable
    inserts.Here it is in the TS
    The Pic names explain the views
    Attached Files
    Last edited by jamesamd; 03-22-2011, 07:57 PM.

Re: My take on the ZCI

Very cool!

Comment

Very well done. My only question is, how long does it take you to mill the blanks, compared to how long it would take to make an entire ZCI from wood? That's the one thing that always gets me, people come up with some really great looking, high-tech solutions to problems that are now more expensive, more time-consuming and really don't get you anything better than the old, tried-and-true wooden insert. What do you gain from doing it your way, as opposed to the other way?

Comment

What do you gain from doing it your way, as opposed to the other way?
        The satisfaction of doing it when everyone else thinks its not worth the trouble would be my guess. If you've got the skills and the tools why not? The AL plate with replaceable inserts does take less storage space.

Nice job on making the custom ZCIs.

For everyone else (including me), the all wood versions will do just as well I guess. If I had the toys (I mean tools) I would like to know how to machine one from aluminum.
        ---------------
        Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
        ---------------
        “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
        ---------
        "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
        ---------
        sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Cephus View Post
          Very well done. My only question is, how long does it take you to mill the blanks, compared to how long it would take to make an entire ZCI from wood? That's the one thing that always gets me, people come up with some really great looking, high-tech solutions to problems that are now more expensive, more time-consuming and really don't get you anything better than the old, tried-and-true wooden insert. What do you gain from doing it your way, as opposed to the other way?
          Glad You asked.The blanks shown below were made from 1 1/2"X1/4" aspen store bought at the HD on clearence.
          Ripped to 1 3/8" wide,edges rabbeted 3/16" wide X1/4"
          deep.Took about 10 Min.Now if I planed down a 2X12 to 1 3/8" and use the narrow ripping fence I made (shown below)made of UHMW polypropylene,I could make a few hundred a day.Also shown below is My push-stick,same material 1/2" thick with a sawsall blade for griping.I am going to upgrade that to a 2 blade design soon.

Thank You Gentlemen,for Your kind comments.Jim
          Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Bob D. View Post
            The satisfaction of doing it when everyone else thinks its not worth the trouble would be my guess. If you've got the skills and the tools why not? The AL plate with replaceable inserts does take less storage space.
            I'm not saying he shouldn't, I think he did a fantastic job on the ZCI, it's something he rightfully ought to be proud of. I guess I'm just a substance-over-style guy, I want the best bang for my proverbial buck, why do extra work on something that doesn't give you extra benefit?

I guess that's just me.

Comment

I can see the benfit of having a lot of these little wood ZCI's made up and ready to use. Slide a new one in for whatever blade you have and away you go. If you had all full wood ZCI's, you would have to set them up to be level once made so you could use them whenever. With his idea, the leveling process is really only done one time for the aluminum.

It could save time that way.

Comment

Excellent job.

Is that a box of kimwipes in the background of the one pic?

Comment

Very nice Jamesamd, I wanted to make one like that out of brass but my inserts are only 5/16 thick. I ended up using scrap laminate flooring for mine.
                  info for all: http://www.hoistman.com http://www.freeyabb.com/phpbb/index....wwtoolinfoforu --- "I like long walks, especially when they are taken by people who annoy me."

Comment

Originally posted by papadan View Post
                    I wanted to make one like that out of brass but my inserts are only 5/16 thick. I ended up using scrap laminate flooring for mine.
                    That would work fine,Dan.A 1/16" of brass for the lower support,will be more than enough,to support the slat.
                    Go for it man

Comment

Originally posted by tomapple View Post
                      Excellent job.

sure looks like it don't it?
                      ---------------
                      Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
                      ---------------
                      “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
                      ---------
                      "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
                      ---------
                      sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

That sure is some nice work James.

Comment

Originally posted by Bob D. View Post
                          sure looks like it don't it?
                          Yep. Them guys workin for AMD make so much money they can afford to use Kimwipes in the shop.

Comment

Originally posted by tomapple View Post
                            Excellent job.

iam sorry,it took solong to answer that,Tom.
                            The box is made by Tronx,non surgical examination gloves.
                            I use them,whenever I apply Dyes,stains or finish.
                            Educate Me Guys,what are Kimwipes?

And thank You all,for the encouragement
                            Jim

Comment

Originally posted by jamesamd View Post
                              iam sorry,it took solong to answer that,Tom.
                              The box is made by Tronx,non surgical examination gloves.
                              I use them,whenever I apply Dyes,stains or finish.
                              Educate Me Guys,what are Kimwipes?

And thank You all,for the encouragement
                              Jim
                              Ahh. My mistake. Kimwipes are a product from Kimberly Clark. They are a low-lint, non-abrasive tissue type wipe. Used in a lot of labs and quite frequently by electronic assembly houses.

Comment

Working...
                              X