X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• r4511 fence problem

My fence does not stay square to the miter slots. I can get it square using a dial gauge, but if i move the fence and recheck it is out. The farther I move it from the original spot the worst it gets. The front rails are square to the table.

Thanks
    Glenn

Re: r4511 fence problem

Gordon- That seems to have been the biggest complaint on what otherwise was a nice hybrid TS.

The flex that the split rail design has and the misaligned clamping pads on the fence caused me to constantly be trying to tweak and hold my settings on my R4511.

I fooled around with mine longer than I should have before I bought an aftermarket fence with sturdier construction and a one piece rail.

Comment

Glenn - Is it always off in the same direction?

Comment

Contrary to common thinking it makes no difference if the rails are parallel to the table, nor that they are exactly 90 degress from the miter slots. No matter how they are set, once you adjust the fence with the miter slot, that relationship should not change unless the rails are bent or not aligned with each other.

Was your fence straddling the joint between the two rails? If so, check that the two rails are perfectly in-line with one another. Rails out of alignment with each other will cause a problem.

If that is not the problem then check that your tubes are perfectly straight. A bow in the rail is what would cause the problem you describe.

Comment

I tried squareing it with the fence locked on just the left rail or just the right rail. But on either one it goes out of square when i move it. I put a straight edge on the rails and they look straight. Also it does not always go out in the same direction. Thanks for your help.

Comment

stop screwing around with the stock 2 piece fence. as long as you have the mitre slots square with the blade.........put an good aftermarket fence on it and live havily ever after.

i put the least expensive delta T2 on mine and haven't looked back since. there's plenty of info on this site about the T2 on the 4511.

great saw but i can't determine which is worst......the assembly instructions or the stock fence.............but i'd buy another in a heartbeat if i could. 1 for rip and 1 for crosscuts.

Comment

Originally posted by ggordon View Post
              I tried squareing it with the fence locked on just the left rail or just the right rail. But on either one it goes out of square when i move it. I put a straight edge on the rails and they look straight. Also it does not always go out in the same direction. Thanks for your help.
              You are saying that with the fence on the same rail, you move it some and it will one time be running out one way and then move it and it runs out the other way?

Comment

+1 with Mr.D.

Delta T-2 solid as a rock and was $150 well spent. Tools Plus carries them.

Comment

Sounds like Your fence rails are fubered,thet need to be shimed,so they are equidistant from each other and the miter slot.
                  Jim

Comment

Glenn - Just to be sure we've covered the basics, t-square type fences don't stay square when the clamp is released to move the fence, but should return to square once clamped down. Is your fence out of square when it's clamped down?

Comment

Yes the fence is clamped down. I cann't figure out if it's the fence or the rails. It is really driving me nuts.

Comment

Originally posted by hewood View Post
                        Glenn - Just to be sure we've covered the basics, t-square type fences don't stay square when the clamp is released to move the fence, but should return to square once clamped down. Is your fence out of square when it's clamped down?
                        Yes the fence is clamped down. I can't figure out if it's the fence or the rails. Really driving me nuts.

Comment

Many of the t-square type fences have a cam foot that goes against the front of the rail to distribute the pressure of the cam clamp....sometimes the foot gets flipped up and sits on top of the rail instead of in front....be sure that's not happening to you.

The foot is the piece just above the cam in this pic:
                          Last edited by hewood; 03-27-2011, 09:16 PM.

Comment

Hewood has a good suggestion on checking to make sure the foot has not flipped up.

Also check the lockdown pads on the fence to see if they engage evenly on the tube. My old ones were slightly skewed and did not engage evenly and this caused the fence to skew when fully locked down.

I had to take some pliers and straighten one as best I could to try and get a square lockdown.

Comment

Sorry to chime in late on this post, been a little bit since i've been on, I had the same trouble with the 4511 and the factory fence, I paid $156.00 including shipping from Tools Plus and it arrived in 4 days, every since then, i have had no problems, it is rock solid and true to the blade, even out to the max. you have to modify it a little to install it, but it is WELL worth the trouble.

Comment

Working...
                              X