X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jobmax

Anyone know where to buy sandpaper that fits it? Hard to believe they sell the tool but not the paper.

Gordy

Re: Jobmax

Gordy,

I had the same thought not too long after I purchased my JobMax. However, on a closer search at Home Depot there is the "Dremel" branded paper that is approximately the same size. (I hope I am not mistaken in the brand.) Problem is that it gets pretty expensive when compared to the number of new triangles you get.

I have the same problem with my Ryobi "Corner Cat", as the sheets for it are also expensive when compared to other sand paper stock. Also, the variety is rather limited. I guess that's the price one pays for these "custom" sized sanding pads.

I've been half-heartedly looking for full-size sheets of sandpaper that will work with hook & loop, but as yet I haven't found a source. One would think that it would be easy to find, considering the number of proprietary-shaped sanders that are on the market. With a hook & loop compatible backing, a full sheet paper could be more economical and allow us to cut to whatever shape we might need.

If anyone knows of a source for such a product, please post.

Thanks, and I hope this is helpful,

CWS

Comment

Originally posted by CWSmith View Post
      Gordy,

I had the same thought not too long after I purchased my JobMax. However, on a closer search at Home Depot there is the "Dremel" branded paper that is approximately the same size. (I hope I am not mistaken in the brand.) Problem is that it gets pretty expensive when compared to the number of new triangles you get.

I have the same problem with my Ryobi "Corner Cat", as the sheets for it are also expensive when compared to other sand paper stock. Also, the variety is rather limited. I guess that's the price one pays for these "custom" sized sanding pads.

I've been half-heartedly looking for full-size sheets of sandpaper that will work with hook & loop, but as yet I haven't found a source. One would think that it would be easy to find, considering the number of proprietary-shaped sanders that are on the market. With a hook & loop compatible backing, a full sheet paper could be more economical and allow us to cut to whatever shape we might need.

Thanks, and I hope this is helpful,

CWS
      The problem with the Dremel stuff is you get 2 pieces of 3 different grits. That's not what I need. I noticed today at Rockler you can order Fein sandpaper in packs of 50 (http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?p...17&filter=fein), you can also order the sanding pad (http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?p...34&filter=fein), which should fit on the Jobmax.

It just seems like a shame that I have to buy Fein supplies because Ridgid dropped the ball. I guess I should have got the Fein to begin with.

Comment

don't know how the price compares but I'm wondering if it would be possible to cut the triangles you need out of a 5 or 6" round hook & loop paper for orbital sanders. that paper is plentiful and it might be possible to avoid the holes and cut a triangle out of the middle. makes for a lot of waste but if the individual sheets are cheaper it might be worth it.
        ---------------
        Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
        ---------------
        “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
        ---------
        "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
        ---------
        sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

Bob D,

Thanks, I've actually done that for my Ryobi Corner Cat. when I couldn't get a finer grit locally.

Gordy,

I know how you feel, but I'm not so sure that the answer is for Ridgid (actually TTI, the manufacturer) to go into the sandpaper business. They'd probably just pay for somebody else's manufacturing to stick their brand on it, and then like so many other things, Home Depot wouldn't carry it anyway.

Hopefully Norton or 3M will come out with a product soon, as between the Fein, Dremel, Bosch, Rockwell, and Ridgid, there are a number of these "Muti-master" like tools on the market.

Regarding your comment about buying a "Fein" instead... I think you could buy a lot of sandpaper from whatever source, for the price difference!

CWS

Comment

Hook and Loop roll sandpaper. Here is a possible alternative to the full sheet paper.
            Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

CWS

SuperGrit carries 1/2, 1/3 and 1/4 sheets. I've purchased from the company in the past and received good service.

Comment

Bob D,

Thanks, I've actually done that for my Ryobi Corner Cat. when I couldn't get a finer grit locally.

Gordy,

I know how you feel, but I'm not so sure that the answer is for Ridgid (actually TTI, the manufacturer) to go into the sandpaper business. They'd probably just pay for somebody else's manufacturing to stick their brand on it, and then like so many other things, Home Depot wouldn't carry it anyway.

Hopefully Norton or 3M will come out with a product soon, as between the Fein, Dremel, Bosch, Rockwell, and Ridgid, there are a number of these "Muti-master" like tools on the market.

Regarding your comment about buying a "Fein" instead... I think you could buy a lot of sandpaper from whatever source, for the price difference!

CWS
                I'd be satisfied if I could even order it on line if Home Depot didn't carry it. Someone makes it for them, because they include sample sheets with the JobMax. I can't believe they buy it from Dremel and repackage it, so they have to get it somewhere.

And I guess I can understand them not wanting to be in the sandpaper business, but that's kinda like Schick not making blades

Gordy

Comment

I suppose, but DeWalt, Porter-Cable, Delta, and many, many other manufacturer's in many fields do not make the disposables that their tools use. Whether it be sandpaper, drill and router bits, or saw blades. As long as they come close-enough for a "standard" to fit, it wall works okay.

The JobMax is a pretty decent tool, regardless of who makes whatever it uses.

CWS

Comment

Originally posted by ga80486 View Post
                    I'd be satisfied if I could even order it on line if Home Depot didn't carry it. Someone makes it for them, because they include sample sheets with the JobMax. I can't believe they buy it from Dremel and repackage it, so they have to get it somewhere.

And I guess I can understand them not wanting to be in the sandpaper business, but that's kinda like Schick not making blades
                    It is silly, specifically because all the money is in the sandpaper, not in the tool itself. The tool is a one-time purchase but users have to keep buying sandpaper over and over and over again throughout the useful life of the tool. Owners are going to spend a lot more on sandpaper than they ever did on the tool. While Ridgid might not directly make the sandpaper, they'd be fools not to make it available at retail, they're just taking money out of their own pockets.

Personally, I would never buy a tool for which the useful parts are not widely available, specifically at the location that I bought the tool. That's like saying "I bought a router, but nobody makes router bits". Then what use is the router?

Comment

While you certainly make a valid point, I would find it quite surprising if any "retailer" would take to this.

For example, Home Depot markets Random Orbit Sanders by Porter-Cable, DeWalt, Ridgid, Ryobi, and I'm sure I'm missing at least one or two others. So would they carry 5" ROS sandpaper in 80-, 100-, 120-, 150, 220, etc. by DeWalt and Ridgid and Ryobi and Porter-Cable and also the main manufacturers like Norton and 3M?

Add to that drill-bits, router bits, saw blades, etc. OR, does one simply attempt to pick the "best of the litter", so to speak?

Don't get me wrong, there are certainly some "brands" of disposable media that I wish they (Home Depot or whoever) would carry... like blades for the Ridgid jointer or woodcutting blades for the 9" Ryobi bandsaw. (Somethings aren't logical with Home Depot as they carry a metal-cutting blade that will fit the Ryobi 9" bandsaw, but that saw isn't supposed to be used for metal cutting.) They also don't carry 6" PSA sanding disc for the Ryobi BD4600 that it does sell. They carry blades for the Delta thickness planer, but they don't sell the Delta thickness planer and they sell a variety of bandsaw blades for bandsaws that they don't sell.

I stopped trying to figure it out some time ago and I don't let their stock of consumables sway me from buying a useful and reputable tool. But, I can certainly understand where someone might well be influenced by that, and I see nothing wrong with that stance, beyond it possibly limiting your choices.

CWS

Comment

I have 4 different power sanders in my shop...none of them are branded 3M or Norton.

Ridgid offering sandpaper to capture the portion of users that are going to use the device as a sander probably is not justified (it is a multi-tool after all). If it was justified...they would be offering sandpaper.

Comment

Don't get me wrong, there are certainly some "brands" of disposable media that I wish they (Home Depot or whoever) would carry... like blades for the Ridgid jointer or woodcutting blades for the 9" Ryobi bandsaw. (Somethings aren't logical with Home Depot as they carry a metal-cutting blade that will fit the Ryobi 9" bandsaw, but that saw isn't supposed to be used for metal cutting.) They also don't carry 6" PSA sanding disc for the Ryobi BD4600 that it does sell. They carry blades for the Delta thickness planer, but they don't sell the Delta thickness planer and they sell a variety of bandsaw blades for bandsaws that they don't sell.
                          Most sanders use a standard paper, they only have to stock one to supply a whole range of consumers. The whole reason to stock consumables in the first place is it draws in a steady stream of customers who, while they're in the store, may buy other things. If you don't stock them, people will take their purchasing dollars, both immediate and potential, elsewhere. That's why stores have sales, to get eyes into the store to buy other things.

Any product that HD or Lowes does stock, they ought to carry the supplies for it, if for no other reason than to encourage brand loyalty. If you go to a store for a product, then that store refuses to carry the supplies that you need for that product, why go to that store in the first place? I'll take a one-stop shop over one that I have to run all over town for any time.

In this case though, assuming I'm understanding the situation, it isn't HD that's not carrying the product, Ridgid doesn't even make it, it's not available anywhere at any price, people have to fake a solution. That's a problem with Ridgid, not with HD.

Comment

Found that if you go to RIDGID Parts and click your way through a dozen
                            or so levels you can drill down to the sandpaper sheets which are available
                            INDIVIDUALLY for $0.83 each in 60, 80, and 120 grit. They show about 100
                            or so of each grit in stock.

902423001 SANDPAPER 60 GRIT $0.83 ea
                            902460001 SANDPAPER 80 GRIT $0.83 ea
                            902424001 SANDPAPER 120 GRIT $0.83 ea

Not a very good solution to the problem but its there. It would
                            be nice if they offered packs of 10 or 25 PRICED COMPETITIVELY
                            in the store where the tool is sold. get the price down around
                            $0.40/sheet and you will have something.
                            ---------------
                            Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
                            ---------------
                            “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
                            ---------
                            "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
                            ---------
                            sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

CWS
                              The next time you are at HD compare the size of the jobmax triangle (bring one with you) to the Bosch triangle. I have a bosch detail sander which uses the same paper as my Bosch multi-tool. Here is a good source for Bosch triangles:

Woodworker.com

Sears also sells some for their "Nextec" multi-tool. I suspect they are similar to the Jobmax as they are both made by TTI: Craftsman Sandpaper
                              The Sears near me usually stocks them.

Ern
                              Last edited by erngum; 04-09-2011, 01:56 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X