X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1/4 Sheet Sander Died

Haven't even hardly used the thing. First the spring that holds the sandpaper had the end break off. I don't even know how that could happen, whole piece of wire snapped. 10 mins later the sanding pad fell completely apart. Looked inside, nothing but cheap plastic parts. My last sander lasted 40 years, actually the wife's grandfather gave it to me. Replaced it with Ridgid, because of warranty and rep for quality.

Now that I see how poorly it is constructed I don't really want another one, but I guess will have to try to find the receipt and warranty and get it replaced.

Very disappointed, but guess should have known better. This is my 3rd Ridgid power tool and the other two both were crap too. At least the replacements seem better, neither one has died yet.

This is ridiculous though. I haven't even hardly used this tool and it is basically like new.

Sorry, just had to vent a bit. This comes at a very inconvenient time, in the middle of a project.

Unless you need a pipe wrench Ridgid=Crap

Re: 1/4 Sheet Sander Died

Wow, sorry you are having such problems. I don't understand your appraisal of "cheap plastic parts" though (but, I haven't looked at the latest model).

I have the original versions of the ROS and the Qtr Sheet sander and they both are made very well. I did have a problem with the Qtr Sheet unit and had to have it repaired (under the LLSA) when it was about four years old. Had it back in about a month and have had no further problems with it.

I own quite a few Ridgid tools and with the exception of the repair on the Qtr Sheet, all have served me very well. I wouldn't describe any of them as being cheaply made or using inferior materials.

So, sorry that you are having problems and I hope you have registered for the LLSA and can get this repaired in a timely fashion.

Good luck,

CWS

Comment

Originally posted by Vanagas View Post
      Haven't even hardly used the thing. First the spring that holds the sandpaper had the end break off. I don't even know how that could happen, whole piece of wire snapped. 10 mins later the sanding pad fell completely apart. Looked inside, nothing but cheap plastic parts. My last sander lasted 40 years, actually the wife's grandfather gave it to me. Replaced it with Ridgid, because of warranty and rep for quality.

Now that I see how poorly it is constructed I don't really want another one, but I guess will have to try to find the receipt and warranty and get it replaced.

Very disappointed, but guess should have known better. This is my 3rd Ridgid power tool and the other two both were crap too. At least the replacements seem better, neither one has died yet.

This is ridiculous though. I haven't even hardly used this tool and it is basically like new.

Sorry, just had to vent a bit. This comes at a very inconvenient time, in the middle of a project.

Unless you need a pipe wrench Ridgid=Crap
      I have a makita palm sander that I'm very happy with and its about 10 years old. I also like Bostitch nail guns. I was surprised at the poor quality of the closet auger...seriously I was shocked. That kinda thing changes how a person feels about buying a name in todays market.

Comment

Interesting, I just found my receipt and my sander is also 4 years old. So much for quality, eh?

It seems Ridgid is not testing these products very well, because my other two when replaced, were both much improved. So basically we are being used as guinea pigs with no regard as to the problems that are created when a needed tool suddenly dies.

I applied for and received a lifetime warranty on this tool, remember sending in a card or something. I can't find any record of this though. How do I go about getting a replacement? This is killing me not having this tool working at this particular time.

If anyone saw what flimsy pieces of plastic are used to keep this sander together I doubt if they'd buy one. Basically the pad is held to the machine by several plastic toothpics with barbs on the ends. The oscillating action is caused when a plastic piece rotates within another piece of plastic. It sort of bounces around and of course with no bushing or metal parts, they beat each other apart.

Ridgid should be ashamed to affix their name to throwaway tool like this.

Comment

Well it's been nearly 2 weeks now. I took the sander into this place called Midway Tool Rental and their staff seemed like they couldn't care less about adjusting it under warranty.

This is the place I took both my shop vac and my miter saw when they had problems. In both instances Ridgid had a replacement in my hands within a week. So what has changed now? Possibly the management, but I don't know. Called last week and was told they were waiting on parts. Asked what parts they ordered, knowing full well the cost of repairs would exceed the purchase price of $47. Was told they had no info on my claim. Guy who was working on it took the day off and had all the records at his house.

So much for factory trained service techs. More like some guy does it at his house for side money.

So I contacted Ridgid by email and was told they had no control over how long the "service center" took to do repairs. They ignored the fact that the guy had said he was waiting on parts. Does this imply parts had been sent?

So I just tried calling Ridgid direct and after wading through menu after menu with similar options, was put on hold without ever talking to anyone. I finally hung up when my phone battery started to die.

At this point it seems that you cannot depend on Ridgid tools. Not for durability, reliability, or warranty. Sure sounds good to claim the tools have lifetime warranties, but what good is that if they refuse to honor them and repair tools in a timely manner?

If this gets resolved in the next few days I'll post the results, but suspect I will NEVER get what I bargained for when I bought this: A well-built, quality tool that would last many years.

The odd thing is previously, Ridgid simply replaced defective tools quickly and with no hassle. Now it is nothing but hassle and I get the feeling Ridgid is doing everything they can to delay repairs and no longer is willing to replace their products.

Sad day for Ridgid when they went into the power tool business. Their impeccable reputation has been forever stained. Shame on you Ridgid.

Comment

Just get the Porter Cable/DeWalt 1/4 sheet sander and be done with it.

I got the 1/4 sheet sander (Model R2500) as part of a promo with the belt sander (R2720). I did not like it because it vibrated more that I thought it should have (even for a sander). I came to find out that the plastic base bends when the paper hold-down bars are in the closed position, causing the base/pad to be bowed. That explained the poor finish and burned sand paper at two opposing corners. I taped a sheet of 120 grit to the top of my bench and sanded the foam pad with the platen in the "bowed" position. That flattened it out, but I still did not like the excessive vibration.

I gave it away and bought a Bosch and later a Porter Cable. The Porter Cable is actually smoother than the Bosch.

My Ridgid R2611 Dual Mode ROS only works in one mode now after only moderate use (out of warranty though, LLSA registration was lost by Ridgid). I don't buy Ridgid sanders anymore.

Just get the Porter Cable or DeWalt and be done with it. It just works. I don't hate Ridgid tools, in fact I think they are very innovative. Its just that other brands have worked better for me at the price (even if its more). I still love my bench top Ridgid Oscillating spindle/belt sander (EB4424). And I think everyone should own a Ryobi Corner Cat Sander. It was one of my first sanders and it refuses to die after very much use.

Comment

Working...
            X