X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• need some shop tool advice

I'm 18 years old and young in the woodworking game. I've got and nice shop I set up in my basement with help from my dad and already own some good shop tools. I have the TS3650 brand new, 12" CMS, Ocilating Spindle/Belt sander and all the corded Hand tools ridgid has to offer except the angle grinder. NO JOKE! I do a moderate amount of work and continue to attempt harder projects but now feel i need to invest into a Jointer and looking at getting a bandsaw also not too far down the road. I would like too what everyone thinks about the Ridgid models and any other models that may suit my needs also dont forget budget.... LIMITED Plus how cructial are these to a good shop.

Well---certainly wish I had the tools you do, at eighteen.

There are certainly router methods and even some table saw techniques to get a good edge. But, as you are likely to be doing glue-ups of smaller boards into wider ones, nothing gets a truer edge than a jointer. And, although the thinking may have changed, in past wwing books I've read, it was said the jointer is the second most important tool, next to the table saw---indeed, many shop arrangements showed it right next to the jointer.

The Ridgid model is pretty nice---my only complaint is that it's bed is much lower than most other models. As to Ridgid support/customer service, finding replacement knives----you can be as good a judge as I can, by simply reading through the posts on the board here.

In that price catagory, I'd look at the York. A lot of people I've heard from are very happy with it. I've read mixed messages about Grizley. I have a Delta 6" and except for a quirk on the dust chute, I'm very happy with the performance.
    Dave

Comment

I have the Ridgid and it does a good job. If I had a choice I would buy a bigger one, 8", 10" or 12" if I had room. For a 6" it does a good job. I have bought Ridgid blades from ordertree.com, they are Ridgid parts supplier. Also from thirdparty blade makers, no problems.
      Good luck with your woodworking.
      Steve

Comment

Originally posted by daveferg: Well---certainly wish I had the tools you do, at eighteen.
        The heck with the tools, I would give anything just to be 18 again !! [img]tongue.gif[/img] [img]tongue.gif[/img] [img]tongue.gif[/img] [img]tongue.gif[/img]
        Lorax
        "Did you put the yellow key in the switch?" TOD 01/09/06

Comment

Which tools you talking about Lorax?
          Dave

Comment

Which tools you talking about Lorax?
            Just keep your tools away from a running jointer.

Comment

Way to go OMD. We have something in common...buy the best tools...now! You didn't mention if you are wwing for personal use or for business. It will make a difference if you are in this for business.
              Before you buy more tools I would look into a dust collector and a good air cleaner. I have the Jet 1250cfm collector and am very very satisfied with it. I also have the Ridgid portable air vac and it works great but I think I would have been happier with the bigger one they have. My shop is about 18x20 and one little air vac is just short of being enough.
              Hope this helps.

woodwork away!
              Are you Rapture ready? Know Jesus Christ or know his enemy!

Comment

Originally posted by daveferg: Which tools you talking about Lorax?
                Woodworking tools of course. What did you think?
                If I was 18 I wouldn't have time for woodworking. [img]tongue.gif[/img] [img]tongue.gif[/img]
                Lorax
                "Did you put the yellow key in the switch?" TOD 01/09/06

Comment

Originally posted by Lorax:

If I was 18 I wouldn't have time for woodworking. [img]tongue.gif[/img] [img]tongue.gif[/img]
                  How's that old song go....."Those were the days my friend, we thought they'd never end.............."
                  Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

To answer a few questions :
                    I do work in my shop for personal use but, i do want to eventually try and produce some pieces i could sale for some pocket change
                    As for finding time its hard but, sundays are usually a slow day and i get alot of work done on weekends and try to find time after school

I do need to try a way to keep dust down, right know i use three shop vacs ; 1 connected to my table saw, one connected to my CMS and the last one is portable for sanding and remote uses.

One thing i would like to know is how good of a machine is the BS1400 and how much resaw capabilty does it have, not specs but performance and has any done any resawing on this machine

Comment

The question is what kind of resawing are we talking about? If you want to cut veneers from 8" wide boards, I honestly don't think you'll get a satisfactory job from band saws in that price range.

In general, I think the temptation is to want to do work beyond the capibilities of your shop equipment. You can make nice woodworking projects with hand and portable power tools, but can you no inlays and turned legs? Not without more equipment.

Now, from my own experience, if you want to just cut curves and the like, I've found a scroll saw to be extremely versital, if you take your time.
                      Dave

Comment

I have the bandsaw and think that a nice jigsaw could do the same job for a lot less money. The only thing I turn to the bandsaw for is making bevel cuts. Would like to resaw, but I'm having issues with a riser block kit.

The jointer is a must for the shop. Don't let people tell you that a router table works just as well. It's a PIA to do it that way. I don't care if you use S4S stock from HD, you need a jointer.

Comment

I had wanted a bandsaw for some time, but with work and other life committments, that wasn't possible until this past year. I don't have a lot of room and frankly, there were so many choices to make with regard to brand, model, etc. I honestly felt I needed bandsaw experience more than anything. So, not wanting to invest big cash in something I knew little about (and also not having a lot of room) I purchased the Ryobi BS-902. Feature wise, it was (IMHO)better built and equipped than Delta, Craftsman, etc. At $99 it has proven to be a worthwhile tool and I have had great fun learning to use it and can honestly say that it performs well for my use. I mostly use it for small projects, toys, shop stuff, and making trim pieces. It cuts very fast and I've found it the tool of choice where slim straight or curve cuts are needed. It is quite a safe tool and you can do rather close work without fear of kick-back or other traumatic experiences. (I'd never get my fingers that close to any rotating or reciprocating blade.)

I have a 18-inch scroll saw, and for intricate, tight cuts and piercing cuts, there is nothing better. However, the recip action simply doesn't cut nearly as fast as a bandsaw and the small blades need to be changed often.

With the bandsaw there is practically no vibration, and you can cut as thin as anything. (I've literally "shaved" board edges with it.) I've cut oak, pine, and MDF with no problem and was very surprised to see how quickly it slices through these materials. With regard to resawing, I've made some toys for my grandsons resawing 2 x 4 stock down to the 1/4 or 1/8 thickness that I needed (for airplane wings and a bathtub paddle boat). The BS-902 has a 3.5 inch depth of cut.

When I have room for a larger shop, I intend to purchase a much larger bandsaw; but, for now, this serves as a good tool for learning and small projects. And, the small price tag was well worth the fun and experience.

CWS

Comment

I have both the jointer and the bandsaw. I added the riser to the band saw. I do a lot of resawing (hardwooods). I am please with my ridgid tools. I think they are a good value for the dollar. If money was no object, I may have purchased other brands. But money is an object for me LOL (and most of us)

Comment

I own most of the ridgid stationary pieces. I am happy for the most part with each of mine. You may want to look in the Birmingham news today 11/10/04 because there are some really nice tools for sell. There is one guy selling several delta pieces (table saw, joiner, shaper and drum sander). There are also a couple of others you may be interested in.

Keith

Comment

Working...
                              X