X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any Suggestions on a Router?

I'm going to a local Woodworking show and am hoping to pick up a couple of things and a good price...

1) Router... I'll probably get a plunge (Dewalt DW-621) router but may pick up one of the combination routers depending on cost (Porter Cable 690... i.e. 693PK kit)

Usage will be for a number of different things such as rounding/forming edges, cutting joinery... basic stuff

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Bubba

Bubba
    have read where the PC combination kit is a good unit... but lacks as a dedicated fixed router and lacks as a dedicated plunge router... I am still debating what to get myself. A plunge for hand work. And a fixed to put in a router table. Heck it's only money! LOL

Comment

I have the Porter-Cable combo kit. Good, somewhat dated, fixed base router. So-so plunger.

While you're at the woodworking show, try to get a hands-on with the new Bosch combos, based on the 1617evs. This is a pretty slick deal, if it fits your hands (sadly, not mine, my fingers are too short for the plunge handle).

The 1617-style fixed base is a killer. The PC690 uses the ages-old helix height adjustment, where you rotate the motor. There are some problems with this. When you loosen the adjustment knob, the motor almost always turns, meaning you don't have the exact height you started with. A real pain for very precise adjustments, like dovetailing. Next problem is that if there is any runout in the motor assembly, the collet horizontal position changes with height. This problem can show up badly when running dadoes with incremental cuts. Good point to the 690? It's a brick, been out forever and not many have managed to wear one out yet.

My 1617, on the other hand. Unbelievable height adjuster, a lead screw microadjuster is built in. You can easily change height a thousandth inch. A little lighter than 690, a little quieter (but use protection), almost 10% faster. And, the evs models that are currently sold are variable speed, unlike 690. Not to say 1617 is perfect. I truly dislike the baseplate and template system it comes with. Baseplate is solid black plastic, so you have to guess what is going on under the router. Template guides are proprietary, hard to find, expensive, and completely block the view underneath. Good news is, Pat Warner makes a beauty of a replacement, clear, uses Porter-Cable guides, and costs only fifteen bucks.

When I bought my 1617, there was a big price jump from 690 to it, and another big one to the 1617evs. Not much difference any more, I urge you to at least check them out.

Dave
      Another book by Dave

Comment

Dave
        Just so you know, I appreciate your books. They are very informative! Dave

Comment

Another vote for the Bosch fixed base. I have the 1618EVS, which is the D-handled version of the 1617EVS, equipped with one of Pat Warner's clear bases. This is the smoothest running router I have ever used. Have only seen pictures of the new Bosch combo, but if I was looking for a combo, this would sure get my attention.

On the other hand, if you want just a great plunger, The DW 621 is a dandy. This is what I use for a plunger. Nice size, powerful, easy to use controls. Dust collection is very, very good. Engineered in, not an add on.

Might want to check out patwarner.com. Lots of good info on routers.

Routers are like clamps. You can never have too many.
          Dick

Comment

Bubba, I have the P-C 693K and also the Makita. The Makita has come out with a kit similar to the Porter Cable and it's a lot more router. It has soft start, variable speed, quick release for bit changes and 2 1/4HP vs. P-C's 1 1/2HP. It's also much quieter (although you still need hearing protection).

Comment

The 1617EVSPK from bosch sounds really nice, although I have relatively small hands...

3 1/8" long middle finger
              8 1/2" span end of pinky to end of thumb

So, I'll check if it fits. Any other suggestions for a combo kit?

TIA,

Bubba

Comment

Bubba, Amazon lists the Makita kit at the following site, if you want to check the specs. That's a monster of a URL, but you might want to check it out. web page

Comment

Thanks Bob.

That's a nice looking unit. Has anyone seen any reviews between the Makita and Bosch units?

Bubba

Comment

www.shopnotes.com has a tool review on their web page which compares 5 or 6 routers.

Comment

DONE. ROUTER PURCHASED. I got an awesome deal on a Makita combo unit (RF1101KITK) in the Amazon link above for $255. Goes for $299 (+SH & Tax) on Amazon.com

It came with 5 bits and a nice Makita bag. I also checked out the Bosch unit but as I thought, it really didnt fit my smaller hands and was more expensive.

[ 11-13-2001: Message edited by: Bubba Blue ]

Comment

Hey Bubba where did you score that deal?

Comment

Nice steal, Bubba.

I've never used that Makita, but I heard one run at our local woodworking show recently. Almost didn't hear it run, that is. I think that must be the quietest running router ever built. Enjoy.

Dave

Comment

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by woodstock:
                            Hey Bubba where did you score that deal?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hi Woodstock,

I went to the local woodworking show this weekend in San Mateo, California. They have a series of shows nationwide. You can learn where a show will be near you by visiting... www.thewoodworkingshows.com

Comment

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Dave Arbuckle:
                              Nice steal, Bubba.

I've never used that Makita, but I heard one run at our local woodworking show recently. Almost didn't hear it run, that is. I think that must be the quietest running router ever built. Enjoy.

Dave
                              <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks Dave,

I'm sure I will, and you're right... it is one of the quietests routers available.

Additionally, it has a soft start so you can start it with one two fingers and it won't move all over the place. Not as nice as the Fein unit in this regard, but nicer than any other I tried.

Bubba

Comment

Working...
                              X