Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What does a 3"x3" piece of kickbacked Pecan do to someone?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: What does a 3"x3" piece of kickbacked Pecan do to someone?

Originally posted by conwaygolfer View Post
    I use a Sharkguard along with my sled. Just raise the blade higher. And when the cut off piece drops, it is on the other side of the guard away from the sled and myself.
    Thanks,
    Conwaygolfer
    Thanks man, I'll do a search and look for it.

Comment

Feeling better? I bet still sore but the real pain is gone? Swelling is what causes most of that.

Comment

Originally posted by TheMaster View Post
        Feeling better? I bet still sore but the real pain is gone? Swelling is what causes most of that.
        Yeah, better, stitches are out now, making progress on revamping the shop, did a little work on the saw but.......skittish now.

Comment

Originally posted by oldmacnut View Post
          Yeah, better, stitches are out now, making progress on revamping the shop, did a little work on the saw but.......skittish now.
          Well thank God that your not seriously hurt. Things happen somtimes no matter how careful you are. just when you get comfortable in your work is when it happens the most. Good to hear your making your shop safer. The older I get the more precautions I take with safety. It takes longer to heal and some things never heal the older you get and get hurt.

Comment

basicly one broke a saftey rule with the table saw, your piece was shorter than the blade and since it like a cut off there was the fence, basicly you were cross cutting, (regardless of the grain direction), weather you were using a miter gauge,

and when cross cutting you do not use your fence for gage, (if you want a repeatable gage, you use a block clamped on the fence infront of the blade and thick enough, so a cut off piece can not wedge in between the blade and the fence,

for a cut like that one would be best to use either a sled, or a miter gauge with a axulaury fence that can support the block, most likely one you would saw throught so it could support both sides of the block being cut,
            Attached Files
            Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
            "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
            attributed to Samuel Johnson
            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
            PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

Thanks for admitting to that. My wife will make sure I build a cross cut sled as very next project.

I will learn from your mistake. Forgive me if I TRY not to pay you back anytime soon.

You'll be more cautious, which is never a bad thing. Try to focus on the joys of making dust, not the pain. After all, women have multiple kids.

Comment

Ouch!
                My guess is that POS push stick was Your downfall.
                You must use a pusher that has compleat control of the workpiece (keeps it on the fence).
                My pusher HAS teeth.
                I hope your healing well.
                Jim

<object width="640" height="390"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/sVpGi85HfnY...</param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/sVpGi85HfnY...dded&version=3" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="390"></embed></object>
                Attached Files

Comment

Re: What does a 3&quot;x3&quot; piece of kickbacked Pecan do to someone?

Hello all. I'm new to this forum. I'm not sure why I hadn't signed-on until now in that my "shop/garage" keeps getting more orange as time ticks by. In any event, I have to thank OldMac for his safety-check. Today, after having read this thread last night (to sleep on! -Wonder what I dreamt...) I gave a very respectful sizing-up of my TS and thought about all of the things it could even theoretically do with all of its RPMs and shark teeth and whatnot. Man, I was just downright AWARE of every move I made on that thing today, and it didn't stop with just the table saw. So I thought that it might help you heal just that leeetle bit more knowing that you did, indeed make a difference. Thanks for the wake-up, and heal real good.

Dan

Comment

Dapper welcome to the board, hope you enjoy it here,
                    Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
                    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                    "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
                    attributed to Samuel Johnson
                    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                    PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

Welcome aboard Dan.
                      "When we build let us think we build forever. Let it not be for present delight nor for present use alone. Let it be such work that our descendants will thank us for, and let us think, as we lay stone upon stone, that a time is to come when these stones will be held sacred because our hands have touched them, and that men will say, as they look upon the labor and wrought substance of them, "See! This our fathers did for us."
                      John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

Comment

Hope you are feeling better.

Lots of great advice here.

Had an accident with a reel lawnmower when I was a kid - cost me the tip of a finger. Ever since then, I've been borderline paranoid about anything sharp. I'm helping out on an Eagle Scout project and the first thing we go over is power tool safety. The boys aren't allowed to use the power tools, but hopefully they are learning something. The missing finger tip helps drive the point home.
                        Sometimes it feels like I spend more time setting up and checking the TS than I do on the project. Can't complain - haven't lost any other body parts.

Comment

Holy crap!

Thanks for sharing your story. Lately, I have been getting lax on the blade guard with through cuts (using a 0 clearance plate, featherboard, and aftermarket splitter). I will remember your story and replace my blade guard today.

Thank you for your honesty and warning to others.
                          Last edited by franklin pug; 08-10-2011, 10:02 AM. Reason: spelling

Comment

Pretty frightening story. Thanks for posting though, as I think reading of other's mistakes, helps teach me how to avoid having the same thing happen.

I had 2 scary moments. One was my 9th grade shop teacher who instructed me to NEVER reach behind the bandsaw blade. 5 minutes later he did just that and cut his thumb half way through the bone. I'm still afraid of my little benchtop bandsaw.

Second was a near disaster on the gigantic tablesaw in the mill of the lumberyard I worked at in college. I was ripping a 2x12 for a customer, probably 16 footer. The saw had a giant motor with 3 belts, so very powerful. I started the rip, and suddenly the 2x12 was ripped out of my hands and ejected across the floor, blasting part way through the wall. Unknown to me, the customer had followed me into the mill, right past the EMPLOYEES ONLY sign. He decided to help by grabbing the outfeed end of the 2x12 which either wedged it between the blade and guide or squeezed the kerf closed. I'd been taught to never ever stand behind the workpiece while pushing it through the saw, something I'd seen the owner do several times. Fortunately, I'd listened to that advice, or I'd have been seriously injured. Oh, and I did let the customer know my displeasure.

I'll be building some cross cut sleds myself in the very near future.

Comment

I'm somewhat new to woodworking. About a week ago I was routing a tongue with a tongue and groove bitset. On startup the noise the router was making did not seem normal but i decided to start routing. It was very difficult to hold on to the board and the board was kicking and the wood not cutting cleanly so I decided after a very short time to stop and investigate. I loosened my grip on the board in preparation for turning the router off and the next thing I know the board had traveled about 15 feet across my garage. I don't usually stand in line with the board but rather to the front of the router table so I was not in line with the path of the board. I try not to stand in line with the likely path of travel or the plane of a saw blade where possible. Same with when using things like angle grinders. Some of the most scary accidents I've read about involve shattered grinding wheels on grinders so for that I usually also wear a full face shield over the safety glasses.

Comment

A hardwood flooring installer I know had his table saw kick back a board. The board must have had a micro crack in it. It split in the shape of a pointy stake, and impaled in his belly, coming out his back about 6 inches. The board had to be cut off a foot from his belly (that must have felt great). He went to the hospital holding the board threw his body.

I hope you feel better soon, and it could be much worse.

Comment

Working...
                                X