Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New addition to my shop

Hey fellas,
    I finished probably the most important addition to my shop. I build a mobile work bench to do all my assembling on. I have been useing saw hoeses and 2x4's or plywood if I had it laying around, man I'm really proud of it, it turned out fantastic I used 1/4" tempered hard board on the top and edged it with 3/4" oak. My question is should I finish it with somekind of protectant(poly or other) or not worry about it.

Thanks, Jason

I throw a quick coat of poly onto most of the shop stuff like that I build. If for no better reason than it makes it a bit easier to clean up spills.

Comment

I was just worried that the poly would not stick to the tempered hard board???? To slick

Comment

I can honestly say that I've never tried to poly coat hardboard before so I'm just guessing here. Maybe, if you lightly sanded it with say a 220 or higher grit paper the poly would adhere better to the surface.
        Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

I would try waxing so you could clean glue off.
          Steve

Comment

As long as the wax has no silicone in it right???

Comment

I would try polymerized tung oil. To me it seems to harden the surface and spills and things usually wipe right off. It is a easy to apply and a snap to renew with another coat.
              I use Tung Oil on nearly everything I do. And from watching Dave Marks I see he does to.
              Rev Ed

Comment

Tung oil, good stuff, I use it for many projects too. Either tung oil or poly but I would leave the hardboard bare. This is a sacrificial piece right, you made it so you could easily replace when need be, why worry about protecting it?

BTW, tung oil works great on cast iron too. The wife was putting a coat of tung oil on an oak and cast iron bench that sits out on our porch, and got some on the cast iron frame. It dried to a nice glossy finish and held up for over a year through the winter and all. She liked the look so much she went and coated all the cast iron with it.

It's been rained on and had ice build up on it and it still looked good. The bench does not get direct sun so can't say how it would hold up to that but otherwise we were astounded at how well it weathered.

Comment

Actually Bob I did not make it so that I could replace the top. I used contact cement on the top cause I didn't want any exposed screws on the top. I read quite a few articles and talked to several people who have use tempered hardboard for bwnch tops and they all have had them for years and say they still look great. It ia a VERY tough meterial, so Yes I would prefer to just protest the top while I'm doing the rest of the bench. I did think long and hard about making it removable but......... live and learn, we'll see

Thanks, Jason

Comment

In the future, you might want to try double sided tape instead of contact cement; it works quite well and makes things removable (should the need arise).

I've used Danish oil (tung oil/urethane blend) on hardboard with good results. The oil certainly helps with glue clean-ups.

Comment

Wouldn't double sided tape make the top spongy or soft. Next time I will probably just fasten it with screws. If there is a next time, I think this bench will out last me.

Comment

I put a tempered hard board top on my bench about 15 years ago with no sealer. It looks a bit stained from sharpening, welding, grinding, and other assorted abuse but it is still smooth. I just tacked it down with tiny finishing nails and set punched them below the surface. I did not even edge with hardwood I just overlaped the top and used a 1/4" roundover bit to trim it flush, the edge is still perfect. I like the idea of a tung oil sealer as it would keep the water from staining when sharpening. Maybe next sheet

Comment

Working...
                        X