X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 6 inch sander hook/loop pad

Whoah... apparently my earlier post this afternoon didn't get posted! So to repeat:

I replaced the pad on my 5" ROS after about five years of fairly heavy usage... well heavy for a homeowner doing his own renno work anyway.

My understanding is that these pads will simply wear out after time, loosing their ability to hold the sanding discs. Heat is part of the problem, as I understand it, especially if you have a tendency to press down on the sander (which is something I too often do). But, just the fact that you add and remove several dozen disks over time will likely degrade the micro-hooks. Cleaning the pad of excess sawdust and debris can help, but eventually the hooks degrade.

When this first started happening, I thought it was just a bad batch of sanding discs, but a second box also spun off across the benchtop too.

As far as Home Depot keeping these in stock, I think that is more Home Depot's problem than it is Ridgid's. Home Depot appears to stock only items that it can repeatedly move; and even that's not dependable from one store to the other. For example, my local store stocks replacement blades for both the Ridgid and the Delta thickness planers, even though I've never seen a Delta in the store. It doesn't stock blades for the Ridgid Jointer or PSA discs for the Ryobi bench-top belt/disc sander that it sells.

In any case, a hook & loop pad isn't nearly as wear resistant as the mentioned bearings or trigger mechanisms or other similar components that might never be replaced on the majority of tools.

CWS

Comment

Re: 6 inch sander hook/loop pad

Well it's payday tomorrow, I'll order the pad.

In the meantime, my trusty B&D Mouse has been performing sterling work in its place. Although in fairness, there's dust EVERYWHERE as it doesn't have a DC port. Definitely requires a mask, and the air cleaner's been on overtime!

Comment

Working...
      X