Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 6 inch sander hook/loop pad

Guys,

Anyone know if the hook & loop pad on the 6" sander is replaceable? For some inexplicable reason, mine seems to have lost its stickyness. Sanding disks just don't catch on the hooks.

It's under LSA, but I have an issue there. To get it serviced, I have to pay a bond up front ($50 or $100, I can't remember) to the repair shop. They then fix it and claim under warranty. If the claim is denied (they may call it normal wear or misuse), then the repair shop will charge me.

I'd be fine with having it fixed for free, or paying a few bucks for the part and fixing it myself. However, if it's going to cost me an hour or two's labor, I'd just as soon junk the sander and get a better one. I only have about $90 in it (got it on sale/promo), so it isn't worth investing in.

Any thoughts on my dilemma?

Re: 6 inch sander hook/loop pad

I found the part on ereplacementparts.com, $16.80.

So I guess if I fix it myself, I blow the LSA!

Comment

There pretty much is no such thing as wear and tear when it comes to the LSA. All normal wear and tear items are covered under the LSA Program. It sound to me like that repair center is trying to hose you as there should be no need for you to have to put down any type of deposit. I'd send a PM to ProBrand and let him know about what that service center is trying to pull. BTW and I'm not saying that this is your problem but one of the main reasons for a sander's pad to fail is that the user is applying too much downforce while sanding. Let the sander do the work.
      Last edited by BadgerDave; 04-27-2011, 12:20 PM.
      Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

I have the same issue with a 5" Ridgid sander but I believe in this case it is a poor product as it was never a real good hold even when brand new. Is there a specific brand of hook-loop that is better then the rest?

Mike

Comment

Originally posted by Woodlvr View Post
          I have the same issue with a 5" Ridgid sander but I believe in this case it is a poor product as it was never a real good hold even when brand new. Is there a specific brand of hook-loop that is better then the rest?

Mike
          Maybe it was the pad, but I have never had an issue with the pad not holding on either of the two I have. The pads do wear out, its just the nature of the beast, my brothers Bosch unit lasted 2-3 years tops and its junk, needs a new pad. My guess Ridgid wouldnt replace it under the agreement, just my guess as it seems like a "wear part". Its a cheap piece that is easily repaired by anyone who can turn a screw driver.

Comment

Originally posted by Roadster280 View Post
            I found the part on ereplacementparts.com, $16.80.

So I guess if I fix it myself, I blow the LSA!

Personally, this is what i due for the cheap little parts. I get the parts faster than the service center it seems, and I know I fixed it right. I wish there was a way to order replacement parts and fix our own units and get refunded for the parts by Ridgid. but obviously there is a huge can of worms there. Heck, I wish that if you were registered for the LSA that you had the option to order parts at a discounted price, I would personally go this route everytime something broke. I would rather turn the wrench myself than have someone else touch my tools. Plus, I kind of enjoy repairing tools.

Now if only the curcuit board for my ROS wasnt 23 bucks from E-replacementparts, I would have mine back up and running.

FYI for all of you with the 5" ROS, pull the handle grip off from time to time and make sure the curcuit board isnt packed full of saw dust, I think that is what did mine in. Guessing here, but it only makes sense as I have power from the cord, but nothing beyond it...

Comment

Thanks guys. I think I'll change it myself, and screw the LSA. If my table saw motor craps out, that's a different matter.

In general, the LSA thing is pretty poor. You have to register for it (within 90 days), then they take up to a year to acknowledge receipt and coverage. Once you've got it, they (at least in my area) have you pay a deposit up front for service.

The previous deal wasn't any better though. I bought a gray RS1000 used. After a while, the motor died when I went to change it to 220. I called RIDGID, and the party line was "no parts available, no service available". This despite the old gray lifetime warranty. "Can I have a new one then?" Nope. Lifetime? Oh really?

I think it may be time to move up the food chain in terms of tool purchases. I'll always be grateful to RIDGID (and HD in particular) for making it affordable for me to have a well equipped shop, nearly everything was originally RIDGID. However, as these items wear out or I outgrow them, they won't be replaced with RIDGID.

Comment

Roadster, before you replace them, make sure you check prices for the parts that broke. I use to just buy new stuff when they broke, now I buy the parts (if they don't exceed 70% of the cost of a new tool) I have found that many parts are revised and usually not only fix the problem, but also upgrade the unit so that part doesn't break again. It has saved me a lot of money, and I learn something when fixing them anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by Alphacowboy View Post
                  Roadster, before you replace them, make sure you check prices for the parts that broke. I use to just buy new stuff when they broke, now I buy the parts (if they don't exceed 70% of the cost of a new tool) I have found that many parts are revised and usually not only fix the problem, but also upgrade the unit so that part doesn't break again. It has saved me a lot of money, and I learn something when fixing them anyway.
                  Indeed, I'll put $16.80 (plus shipping) into this sander. It just grates me that I have so little confidence in the LSA that it is necessary. I simply can't run the risk of having it in the shop only to be told it's not covered. Bag of crap, frankly on this level of tool. Not so the big boys, but a $90 sander? I'll not put so much store into the warranty on hand power tools in future.

Comment

Roadster,

I had to replace the pad on my 5" ROS a couple of years ago, after a rather long usage. The part was about $10-12 as I recall, but the shipping added another $6 or so. It certainly was an easy job, but I wasn't happy to find out that the Ridgid considers this a "wear item" and it is NOT covered under the LLSA. (I wasn't particularly happy considering all the other things the LLSA covers, but it is what it is. I checked with both the local service center and with Ridgid customer support on that issue.

In any case, it wasn't covered and it doesn't affect future coverage of the LLSA. Maybe the 6" ROS is different, but I would be surprised.

I hope this helps,

CWS

Comment

Roadster I hear you on the LSA issues. That posting a bond thing is crap.

I did have good luck with a service center on my R4511 when the blade elevation gears stripped out.

Had to take off the top and haul it an hour away but the service center replaced the gears and pins, greased and did it in a couple of days.

Now my jointer is a different issue. I bought it a year ago and sent in the LSA paperwork and still haven't gotten the LSA and tech support is useless as they give you a 800 number to call, because tech support doesn't actually do a damn thing that I can tell but tell you to call a 800 number.

So yeah I think I will move up in purchases as well just because of principle, that Ridgid is not living up to what they promise.

Comment

Thanks Cato, you've confirmed what I thought. I'll just buy the part, and be done with it. At least if the motor dies I should be able to get it LSA'd.

I suppose like most companies RIDGID makes products down to a price. If it were a Bosch, the price would be a bit more and the quality a bit higher. That would push the replacement date out to the right a bit. All swings and roundabouts in the end. With that in mind I may as well go buy a $30 sander at HF and change them every year

Comment

Now that I've had some time to think about it I think my earlier post might have been off a little as far as the sanding pad is concerned. There is a difference between normal wear and tear items covered under the LLSA and consumables. Consumable parts are most likely not part of the LLSA as they really aren't broken but just used up. Just like blades get used up and are not covered under the LLSA a sanders H&L pad is also just used up.
                          Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

What bothers me though is that things like sanding discs (the abrasive part), replacement blades, bits etc are sold as spares in HD. I'd consider these consumables, and would expect to be laughed away trying to claim these items on a service agreement. They don't sell replacement pads though.

Is a bearing a consumable? They do wear out. Is a switch a consumable? They also wear out.

I shouldn't get upset over a $20 part for a $90 sander, but it's certainly made me think about my purchase strategy. The sander's only between 2 and 3 years old, too.

Comment

Going back to the original problem of the hook and loop base losing
                              "it's stickiness".....

After you remove the worn sanding pad use a stiff nylon brush,
                              similar to those used to buff up hush puppies shoes.
                              Also blow the surface off with compressed air.

This will "CLEAN" the backing surface of fine dust debris and
                              allow a fresh hook and loop backed sanding disc to adhere better.

Cactus Man

Comment

Working...
                              X