Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.
Due to my accident, I decided to redo entire shop, care to give opinions and help? Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Due to my accident, I decided to redo entire shop, care to give opinions and help?

Keyword is opinions, and I will take everybodys ideas and suggestions when doing this.

Ok, yall know I got hurt, and I decided to go through the shop and re-eval the safety, etc.
    I also thought about just doing a full re-locate and layout, kinda curious how I might be able to A. gain more space, B. Make it a little safer, C. clean it up.

attached are some pics of how it is currently laid out, and here are the specs...

Shop size 11' 7" W x 23' D
    Metal side building, house is a rental, has a kinda sorta secure stud wall dividing my half, and neighbors half.

Equipment sizes.....incase someone knows how to plot, I tried today, I have no drafting bones in my body.

Item NOT on casters....
    Stationary Outfeed table 49" x 60"
    Lower Cabinets Base 97 1/4" x 26"
    Wardrobe closet 30" x 16
    Belt Sander 28" x 20"

Items ON Casters...
    TS 72" x 36"
    BS 38" x 24"
    Router 36" x 30"
    Planer 28" x 36"
    DP 32" x 24"
    Cart/portable bench 32" x 48"

Most of the time, I will open the garage door and just roll things into the driveway that might be in my way, especially if I need to pull sheets off rack to cut on TS, but this is getting old. Also getting old is the Router Cabinet, I thought it would be nice to have a "full size" table to fit my RF3 fence, so I built one with intentions of getting an LS Positioner, originally it was 47" deep, but I cut a big chunk off not to long ago.
    Never mind the fact I seem to save every piece of scrap....
    I do have an overhead loft that measures 12' x 10' that is over the very back portion, it holds our personal storage. I thought about extending the loft another 15 feet, to help with storing wood, but since I got the beams for free, I am having a hard time coughing up money for beams......im cheap.

TS and outfeed face the roll up door, so if I need to cut full sheets, or longer, I can open the door and have as much room as I need, same with BS, I have a "stool" I set on the TS and outfeed for when I am resawing long material.

I have always wondered what it would be like to have the router in my TS, so while kids were taking a nap today I rigged up a quick prototype to see if I would like it, being able to attach my RF3 fence to the TS3650 fence on my 4512 was nice, in part to the micro adjuster I have GROWN TO LOVE on that fence. rolled the saw to the center and back of the garage to get right side access, but it seems kinda cramped.

Anyway, there are the dimensions, some info, please.......give some input. I am not perfect, I can change my ways if it would help with my hobby of making furniture, and toys for the kids, and you know, other fun stuff.

Oh, the pics are from this morning, shop is trashed as I have been going through stuff, all rolling tools are on deck, so......yeah, dirty and vacant looking, Ill locate a pic of how it usually looks.

I will post a link to a picassa album with pics, as soon as it is done uploading.

So, what ideas do you have for layout?.
    Attached Files

Re: Due to my accident, I decided to redo entire shop, care to give opinions and help

I've found I'm a lot happier and concentrated in the shop when the decks are clear. A place for everything, and everything in its place.

I'd concentrate on storage, with as little as possible out on top of cabinets, tables and the like. Then arrange your tools so the infeeds and outfeeds are as clear as possible. I have the same issue as you, my shop is much longer than it is wide.

Consider placing tools at angles to maximize in-and-outfeeds. Position them by doors so you can open a door and gain infeed you didn't have with it closed.

Do go ahead with the saw-mounted router. I did that on my 3660 and it's been great. Certainly rout those edges over before you fling the wood in your face the next time

Best of luck, and let us know how it goes.

Comment

Re: Due to my accident, I decided to redo entire shop, care to give opinions and help

Originally posted by Roadster280 View Post
      I've found I'm a lot happier and concentrated in the shop when the decks are clear. A place for everything, and everything in its place.

I'd concentrate on storage, with as little as possible out on top of cabinets, tables and the like. Then arrange your tools so the infeeds and outfeeds are as clear as possible. I have the same issue as you, my shop is much longer than it is wide.

Consider placing tools at angles to maximize in-and-outfeeds. Position them by doors so you can open a door and gain infeed you didn't have with it closed.

Do go ahead with the saw-mounted router. I did that on my 3660 and it's been great. Certainly rout those edges over before you fling the wood in your face the next time

Good suggestions, the only thing I would add is adjustable shelves. Quick and easy to mount a few adjustable strips with an impact and some 2 1/2" screws. Then brackets and shelves can be moved when necessary to accomodate different things. Home Depot has some reasonably priced and very strong shelf bracket hardware.

Comment

I think I've got to see your older pictures... as I see it now, it's just too much clutter and too me, that's not at all safe.

My shop is in my basement, roughly 23 x 11 or so... so it's about the same size that you have. Only it's divided into two adjacent rooms with a wide doorway between them. So you can have some idea of my equipment, here's what I have stuffed in there:

1st room with entry door at side corner

Two free standing Shelf units, RAS, Drill Press, drill press storage shelf, 33-gal Compressor, shop vac. (Also have to deal with a sump pump and access to the electrical panel.)

2nd room

BT3100 Table Saw, Rockler Router Table, 24 x 60 work surface on top of two drawer units and one storage cabinet, 9" Band Saw, bench-top belt/disk sander, two folding Stanley work benches, two saw horses with maple top (for assembly) and my 3-piece self-standing lumber rack.

The work tables can be folded and placed out of the way against the wall, the table saw and router table are wheel mounted, and the band saw, bench grinder, and belt/disc sander can be moved and placed as needed. I have a 17-inch scroll saw stored under the RAS.

That set allows me to rip up to about 14 feet in length, and cross cut probably 16 feet on the infeed. I use two roller stands to infeed and outfeed boards as needed. My lumber storage rack can hold 30 1 x 12 x 12 boards but I generally only buy 8 to 10 boards at a time.

I can't get a sheet of ply down there though, so that gets cut with a circular saw and edge guide out in the garage! Only then do I get the pieces into the basement and onto the table saw.

I'll take your dimensions and the tool sizes that you provided and scale them with my Corel Draw... But where's your doorway, I missed seeing that (I'll look again). Hopefully I can do that quickly, like this weekend.

From a safety point of view, I can't deal with clutter. You need to make sure your path is clear and there's no obstructions when your working with a power tool... or a sharp chisel . I keep boxes and other items well clear of where I have to stand or move "out of the way"!

I hope this helps,

CWS

Comment

Originally posted by Roadster280 View Post

Ok, that......was funny. I will admit, I did laugh.

Originally posted by Frankiarmz View Post
          Good suggestions, the only thing I would add is adjustable shelves. Quick and easy to mount a few adjustable strips with an impact and some 2 1/2" screws. Then brackets and shelves can be moved when necessary to accomodate different things. Home Depot has some reasonably priced and very strong shelf bracket hardware.
          I do have shelf space, alot of it, as well as many drawers and some free standing cabinets, you should be able to see with the picasa link im adding. I am kinda sort limited for shelf space, not due to material, man I have material, but I would need to also build supporting walls as the exterior wall needs to be framed in. The middle wall divider, I need to climb up to the top and add several more supports for horizontal movement, or to keep horiz movement from happeneing, then I could shelf the entire wall.

Originally posted by CWSmith View Post
          I think I've got to see your older pictures... as I see it now, it's just too much clutter and too me, that's not at all safe.

My shop is in my basement, roughly 23 x 11 or so... so it's about the same size that you have. Only it's divided into two adjacent rooms with a wide doorway between them. So you can have some idea of my equipment, here's what I have stuffed in there:

1st room with entry door at side corner

Two free standing Shelf units, RAS, Drill Press, drill press storage shelf, 33-gal Compressor, shop vac. (Also have to deal with a sump pump and access to the electrical panel.)

2nd room

BT3100 Table Saw, Rockler Router Table, 24 x 60 work surface on top of two drawer units and one storage cabinet, 9" Band Saw, bench-top belt/disk sander, two folding Stanley work benches, two saw horses with maple top (for assembly) and my 3-piece self-standing lumber rack.

The work tables can be folded and placed out of the way against the wall, the table saw and router table are wheel mounted, and the band saw, bench grinder, and belt/disc sander can be moved and placed as needed. I have a 17-inch scroll saw stored under the RAS.

That set allows me to rip up to about 14 feet in length, and cross cut probably 16 feet on the infeed. I use two roller stands to infeed and outfeed boards as needed. My lumber storage rack can hold 30 1 x 12 x 12 boards but I generally only buy 8 to 10 boards at a time.

I can't get a sheet of ply down there though, so that gets cut with a circular saw and edge guide out in the garage! Only then do I get the pieces into the basement and onto the table saw.

I'll take your dimensions and the tool sizes that you provided and scale them with my Corel Draw... But where's your doorway, I missed seeing that (I'll look again). Hopefully I can do that quickly, like this weekend.

From a safety point of view, I can't deal with clutter. You need to make sure your path is clear and there's no obstructions when your working with a power tool... or a sharp chisel . I keep boxes and other items well clear of where I have to stand or move "out of the way"!

I hope this helps,

CWS
          This all does help.

This is what I have done, and the first step.
          I removed the big and bulky outfeed table, as well as all the pressure treated lumber stored under it, placed it in a water proof storage on the deck i built behind the garage for the trash cans. I am going to (and started to) incorporate the router into the table saw, but I am also going to just build a TS workstation, and add a fold down outfeed table. I have a 2x4ft rolling cart I use for an infeed and side feed, i built it to match the TS, I will use that along with the TS Station when needed. Also working on a "shield" for the saw, im trying to engineer that.....

Issue with stock storage? yeah, nasty. The rack that holds my sheets goods also doubles as a support for the loft, so I will be looking into better, and safer storage for materials after I finish the saw this weekend. I should probably toss alot of it out, or spend next week sorting it all.

Some of the pics im going to link to, show the shop clean, and of course nasty. I had set Sundays as the day I clean each machine thoroughly, do maintenance on each machine, and do a full clean up of the shop as well, so some pics might be after...well who cares right, this stuff makes a mess.

Here is the link to my mess lol. Im off to go lay kids down for a nap, and get some chores done...

Jim

https://picasaweb.google.com/oldmacnut/LetsRevampShop#

Comment

Lots of good ideas given, but one thing is lacking here. To give any worthwhile advice on lay out, one needs to know what the shop is being used for. Yes, I know it is wood working, but as you know that covers a multitude of areas. Are you into cabinets, furniture, knick knacks, construction, etc. It makes a difference in layout. I would certainly set up for the majority of my work.
            The other Jim

Comment

Jim,

Here's a rough layout. Everything is dimensionably correct to your numbers and I've scaled it... each background grid square equals one-foot.

That "outfeed table" is big, and because it is stationary, it would be something you'd really have to position everything else around. I simply positioned it here, in relation to the table saw, so as to give you infeed and outfeed for a full-sheet of ply (48 x 96). Problem is of course that it almost "anchors" the table saw to one position. I know you mentioned that you might reconfigure that, so that would change things of course.

None of this addresses your tremendous stock of wood and other items (like in one of your photos, I see a Ryobi CMS.) Nor does it address wall space for stock, clamps, etc.

The stationary items are in light brown and the mobile items are gray in color. Problem is that with the table saw in that position, you don't have much room to move things from front to back, along the right wall without having to really jockey a few things. The TS is positioned so you have full-sheet infeed and outfeed, without having to open the garage door.

Your stuff it big though (full-size, but big for the area). In any case, you've got the scale and the tools and benches sized. How that is going to fit is certainly a challenge though. (I sent you a PM, offering your a PDF of the floor plan and a separate sheet of the tools, that you could print, cut-out, and position if you'd like... let me know. )

I also attached a copy of my basement shop, which is similar in size to yours, albeit without the garage door. No loft in the basement of course, but I do have a garage that I can temporarily place a few sheets of ply, if necessary... at least until I can cut them down to size. As you can see, my router and drill press tables are smaller and because I don't use sheet goods much, I can use roller stands and folding benches as necessary. Also, I use some of those plastic resin shelf units that I purchased at Home Depot. Likewise, under my bench (left-side) I have two drawer units (4-drawers each) and a storage cabinet. That and some smaller shelves house the portable tools, hardware, glue, finish and assorted "junk". Under the RAS I keep my bench grinder and scroll saw for their rare use.

My projects to date have mostly been rennovation oriented and for the library and kitchen projects (mostly "board" stock). My work flow has been that I bring home 8 to 12 boards at a time, pass them through the doorway through the "left" room and into the "right" room where they are stored. First steps are to sand everything and so the folding benches, including the saw horses and 2-piece table get used. Afterwards they are re-stacked on the rack and passed to the necessary tools... RAS, Table Saw, Drill Press, etc.

You may note the the DP and RAS (in the "Left-side" room) are position at an angle to allow passage through the doorway. In the "right-side" room, I have two marks on the floor where I position the table saw legs... which allows me a long out-feed pass and a 10-ft in-feed to the TS, but I try to limit my stock to 8-ft lengths. The RAS gives me great cross-cut capability, in that confined area.

So, let me know if I can adjust anything or whatever. Your shop certainly looks interesting, but I think I'd go nuts with all that extra stock around and overhead.

CWS
              Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Pipestone Kid View Post
                Lots of good ideas given, but one thing is lacking here. To give any worthwhile advice on lay out, one needs to know what the shop is being used for. Yes, I know it is wood working, but as you know that covers a multitude of areas. Are you into cabinets, furniture, knick knacks, construction, etc. It makes a difference in layout. I would certainly set up for the majority of my work.
                The other Jim
                Guess I could have said what I work on.
                Right now I am doing alot of furniture, I did make a queen size bed, dresser, and some chairs. I am working on a blanket chest right now, but also do little things like keepsake boxes, and toys for my kids. Future projects are a play kitchen for my daughter, a king size pencil post bed for wife and I, small things for house like shelves, and 32 picture frames, along with more toys.

I have and probably will make more kitchen cabinets, and I'm sure I'll make another cedar chest, however, large items I suppose.

CW,
                I broke down the Outfeed table this weekend, it is no more. I did a test/prototype of placing the router in the saw, and did some research on possibly building a "workstation" for the TS/Router combo, however I am not going to take the Router cabinet apart unless I know I can place everything properly. I get the feeling that having the router in the saw....is not going to work very well, based in part on my limited space, I would have to allow more room on the right side of the saw now so there would be ample space to use the router. However, I am going to at least build a drop down outfeed table into the saw, 2ft perm, and then a hinged one that is as long as it can be hanging down to the floor, the attached outfeed is a must have, the other outfeed took up to much room and turned into another workbench.

I found a pic of the shop on any average day, clean that is, looking inside the shop from the driveway through the roll up door. Behind the 15 sheets of plywood and other sheet goods, has got to be another 8-10 feet of space, but we are storing alot of stuff back there, and I have crates of old furniture back there to (I get old furniture, break it down, and crate it up till I can go through the duplication process)

So, here is a pic of the TS, and the shop on an average day...
                Attached Files

Comment

Did you put a different top on a r4512?

Comment

Originally posted by rone View Post
                    Did you put a different top on a r4512?
                    Yes. I have the ts3650 rails, fence, and cast iron extensions. as far as I know, I'm the only person who did this, even Ridgid has not tried this.

on another note, whatever software the IT department upgraded the forums to, well it is nice, but its even easier to see and use on my android tablet.

Comment

Looks awesome. Any idea if we can buy those cast iron extensions anywhere?

Comment

I got mine through Ridgid, which would be Gardner parts. I didn't have to pay for them or the fence and rails at the time due to the damage to my 4512 rails from shipping and the crappy steel extensions wouldn't level out. only reason it happened that way, is the saw was so new to the market, there were no parts avaliable, and it took me a month to track down 1 saw.....out of state. I don't know, but I think the cast iron ext are 200.00 each. however......any cast iron ext would work, if they are 27" deep. I still had to drill mounting holes in mine.

I got some new layout pics, a layout I'm testing, ill post a pic when I get near a computer, can't seem to do it with the tablet.

Comment

Working...
                        X