X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pen Turning - Gluing Acrylic Blanks

I'm turning a pen out of acrylic and my instant adhesive which says is will stick anything to anything does not adhere to the acrylic blanks very well. If you wait 30 minutes of so it bonds but in the normal minute or two that it should take no, its just gummy. The bottle of adhesive is new (to me, don't know how long it was on the shelf) so not sure if its just that this particular adhesive doesn't bond to acrylic well or the cause is some other problem. The glue is from a pen turning supplier and it is sold as for use on pen turning blanks.

Anyone else experienced this?
    ---------------
    Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
    ---------------
    “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
    ---------
    "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
    ---------
    sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Re: Pen Turning - Gluing Acrylic Blanks

I always use acetone to solvent-bond acrylic. Never tried using instant glue.

Comment

Re: Pen Turning - Gluing Acrylic Blanks

For pens you need to bond the blank to a brass tube which is inserted inside the blank, so its brass to acrylic.

I found that lightly roughing up the OD of the brass tube using some 220 sandpaper helped the CA get a grip.
      ---------------
      Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
      ---------------
      “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
      ---------
      "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
      ---------
      sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

Working...
      X