X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• skylights vs. tubular skylights in woodshop

I am building a woodshop and I need plenty of natural lighting. Has anyone used tubular skylights instead of or in addition to traditional skylights? Where should windows/skylights/etc. be placed in a shop that has 10 ft. ceilings? There will be rafters supporting an attic/storage area so I will need to "box" in 6 feet between the roof and the ceiling.
    JFW

I have instaled some of some of these in kitchens and bedrooms they give a great natural light effect. how they work is they have polished aluminium sheats about 3' long once snaped togeather to form a tube about 1' wide,these are spliced togeather and taped to seal with alum tape.at the roof there something of the sort of a round lens with a reflector under a dome witch you set to the south.You can also get them with a light bulb fixed inside for night time use,The home onwers realy like them,it's like having a light on all day long even with a overcast sky!

Be safe out there folks.

Bob B.
    =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
    Be safe out there folks
    Bob B
    =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

Comment

Jeffrey,
      I have used the Velux solar tubes in my daughters family room - the room is on the north side of the house and was very dark - I put in two. They make a substantial difference on sunny days and are moderately effective on overcast days. In fact, my daughter's mother keeps trying to "turn off the lights"!

Also, I have one in a small windowless bathroom in my summer home in Maine, also on a north roof. In the morning, there is no need to use the ceiling light.

If you can locate the tubes so that they get direct or almost direct sunlight you will be more than satisfied. If you have indirect light you will still notice the difference because the tube is designed to magnify the light. Skylights do nothing to magnify the light, they only let in what is available, therefore if maximum light is what you want, go for the solar tubes.

There are several sizes, up to 22", but I have found that HD only carries the small size, I beleive it is 10" - go for a larger size, especially if you are doing new construction. How many you use depends on the size of your shop and it orientation to the sun (south east to north west are best.) There are plenty of sites on the web that carry these tubes.

For existing construction, I suggest you use the flexible tube type rather than the ridgid tube because it is easier to install (but there is a loss of light magnification, I just have not experienced what it is because I used rigid tubes - but I won't in the future.) For new construction the rigid tube installation is no problem.

Let us know how you make out.
      Ray

Comment

Working...
      X