Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.
I'm in Alabama, and need HELP. HOW TO SOLVE THIS WITHOUT DYING? Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm in Alabama, and need HELP. HOW TO SOLVE THIS WITHOUT DYING?

Fellow woodworkers, I was sent here from a Physics Forum because they couldn't figure it out.

Howdy from the tornado ravaged state of Alabama. We've been going out with chainsaws for days on end trying to help anyone we can. This guy wants to get this tree down so his grand children won't get hurt. What is the safest way to do this? I only have about 10 hours to figure it out. I'm taking a crew out tomorrow and will stay all day until this tree is down. Any help would be appreciated.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c_RVjyFpqrI

Please post your answers on the YouTube page and I will use the best answer. Also, if you subscribe I will upload a video showing how I solve the problem.
    I am a Mechanical Engineer who has almost finished my Master's in Aersopace Engineering, so feel free to throw out all the technical jargon you want.

Help!

Destin

Re: I'm in Alabama, and need HELP. HOW TO SOLVE THIS WITHOUT DYING?

This is why I quit working at churches(with others).

Too much talk.Gimme the saw and go get lunch.

Looking forward to the video

Last edited by drtyhands; 05-07-2011, 12:13 AM.

Comment

Tell me where to cut?

Comment

Many can come up with places to cut, put pressure, pull. The question is do you have the skills and equipment to do it safely? I'm not sure you do.

A "tree-man" here will likely rope things in different places, probably climb the tree that's forked over, and begin trimming the forks from around the vertical tree. Then pull the fallen tree to the side off of the broken tree. Let it fall and begin trimming.

I'm not sure an amateur should touch this one though. Climbing, cutting, roping off.....probably better with a professional. Which you and everyone else will tell me is impossible to get right now in this natural disaster.

Better to wait than someone get hurt though. He can go visit his grandchildren in the meantime.

J.C.

Comment

Tie a chain to the top tree and pull it off the vertical tree with a truck. Then go to town. btw, chainsaws are just a little dangerous. Is the chainsaw impressed with all your degrees? Sometimes it's better to know when to throw in the towel.
          Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Strictly from a plumbers point of view..I would call someone with a crane to support the tree that has already fallen , cut down the tree beneath it...All the while drinking ice cold beer while this procedure is being done...Don't be stupid you could die messing with this thing ...I like to help people too but when you are in over your head you could cause yourself and everyone involved more problems..Good luck and let us know when you are done and how it got done..
            ''Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" Benjamin Franklin

Comment

IF It was me, I would throw a rope up over near the point where the fallen tree is setting on the broken one, and get enough rope or pull a chain up over and pull it off the broken tree (most likely prefer to pull it way from the trailer or camera angle) if possible, and then start to cut it up, if it was still hung up in the third tree I would start to cut off two foot sections from the base of the main fallen tree and work away from the house, and then work until I could pull the top out or fall the second tree with ropes to guide the fall,
              Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
              "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
              attributed to Samuel Johnson
              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
              PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

If you are determined to attempt this job and not leave it to professionals, I have a few suggestions. Begin by clearing smaller trees surrounding the work area including as many directly in line where the last or end trees will fall. This will prevent a further situation like the one at present. Understand that once any of those trees is on the ground, the area to be cleared will be much greater than what you are currently facing. I would not make any cuts prior to roping the tree closest to the house and trying to pull it over and off of the tree it is lying on. I would use ropes and a truck to make the pull and if necesary make relief cuts on the opposite side of the tree prior to pull. I believe there will be a substantial amount of risk of injury once the tree is down because of the torque from limbs still twisted at the top. Bottom line, clear a large area and start closest to the house where the first tree fell.

Comment

as someone who worked with arborists before, and my best friend is still an arborist,view will tell you how to do this without even looking at that tree.

call a proffesional. end of story.

to many things can, and will go wrong. especially when being rushed. walk away from this job. you need climbing gear, ropes, a crew, etc. if you knew what you were doing, you wouldn't be asking. just like resawing wood on a bandsaw.........during a cut 20ft up in the air, a tree will move in a direction you didn't think will happen, due to internal stress structuring, those limbs will flex, snap, and fall in a manner you an inexperienced arborist will not be trained, or ready for.

I have seen my friend smacked by a limb 30ft up, and fall till his safety line caught, and he has been doing this for 15 years. I suggest you walk away.

Comment

Well, I taken down only dozens of trees it my life. Just the way it is when you live in the Northeast and spend a lot of time in ther forrests.

In this particular case, I think I'd get a rope over this sucker at it's high point (like right where it rests on the splintered vertical. At that point, I'd then try to pull it off (away from the camera's position). You might need a vehicle to do that.

While doing that, I'd have a trustworthy partner looking to see what entanglements (off to the camera's left, where the top of the fallen tree is hung into the standing tree), with the idea of cutting loose any branches that may hinder the pull.

Problem here is that you've got three stress points (base, middle, and the top entanglements) that can cause a backlash, causing the fallen tree to roll, snap sidewards, and or spring back as you cut and relieve the stresses. When that happens, you can't get out of the way fast enough. Best thing to do is pull the tree off that center, and have it on the ground where you can start working by taking off the top branches and working back toward the lower end of the trunk.

CWS

Comment

Originally posted by gear junkie View Post
                      Tie a chain to the top tree and pull it off the vertical tree with a truck. Then go to town. btw, chainsaws are just a little dangerous. Is the chainsaw impressed with all your degrees? Sometimes it's better to know when to throw in the towel.
                      That's what I was going to say, pull it at a slight angle away from the house so it doesn't tip over and cause damage. It shouldn't take much to pull the whole thing down, then cut as usual.

Comment

Originally posted by MrPennywhistle View Post
                        Tell me where to cut?
                        How did you do?
                        It took more time for all these guy to type in all these answers than it did for a guy to pull up in a truck at 7:00am and be driving back down the road at 7:15am leaving you guys to go to town finishing the fallout.

Sure would like to see the video

Comment

Working...
                        X