Planer/Jointer/Table Saw dust collection

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Planer/Jointer/Table Saw dust collection

I have my three main tools centered in the middle of the shop. Same setup I had before with the TS-3650, but now with the Unisaw. Anyway, I have one pipe that drops from the ceiling at the right rear corner of the table saw. On my 3650 I had enclosed the bottom so I could grab most of the sawdust, but I also needed to be able to move from the jointer to the planer and the table saw and I wanted to do it with no swapping of hoses between tools. So what I cam up with years ago, and I might have talked about it here but don't remember, is a plenum box that sits under the planer.

Now this box has a 3 inputs and a single output which connects to the dust collector system.
    The input gates for the jointer and the planer are positioned right next to each other but spaces far enough apart so that opening the one gate closes the other at the same time. This lets me switch from one tool to the other with one motion. For the TS the gates for the jointer and planer both get closed, and the gate for the TS is opened (not in view in the picture).

OK, no big deal so far, pretty straight forward. But what makes this box unique is that it can also let you use the planer away from the dust collector system. So I can wheel the planer out in the driveway if I wanted to and still contain the chips.

How does that happen you might wonder. Simple, the top of this box has a furnace filter in a channel that lets you side it in and out. Above the filter is a pair of one way flaps for lack of a better term that when the box is connected to the dust collector and is under negative pressure they are shut tight allowing the vacuum to be drawn on whatever tools is valved in. When used without the dust collector, the output gate gets closed along with those for the TS and the jointer. Now the fan in the planer chip extractor pushes the chips out and into the box, pressurizing it. The flaps open under positive pressure and the filter keeps the chips from flying out. There's enough room in the box to plane a few boards, about 4 cubic feet.

So I've run this using the flex hose that came with my DW735 for the past few years, but today I though I could clean it up and maybe improve the flow a bit over that flex hose with some 4" PVC fittings and a short length of pipe. Well, it worked out pretty nicely. A 45 and a 90 looking up at the bottom and a 45 and a 90 looking down at the top lined up just perfectly. So will three 90s and a 45 offer less resistance than the flex hose I don't know, but it takes less space and looks neater.

I think I might send this one in to ShopNotes or one of the other mags, do you think it would be useful to others or does it just fit my needs.

Name:  ce186bb3fcdbfee0294ac081a48a5ae5.jpg
Views: 1
Size:  479.1 KB
    "It's a table saw, do you know where your fingers are?" Bob D. 2006

https://www.youtube.com/user/PowerToolInstitute

Re: Planer/Jointer/Table Saw dust collection

Every shop configuration is going to be different. I use the Rockler dust right vortex system in my shop and the big Ridgid vacuum.
    I am limited to space although the shop area is about 14x24 feet. It seems to work quite well with my DeWalt DW735 too.

I hope you did not glue the pipe? as what will you do should a clog occur?

Go ahead and submit it.. I'd send it to Wood magazine too. You never know you may get a reward/gift for a clever system.
    I'd also include additional photos of the other tools and some detail photos of the distribution system and filter....

nicely done!

Cactus Man

Comment

It pops right off at the ends. Since it only a couple fittings and about 20" of pipe there is little weight. A single screw in each end keeps it all together. One advantage for me is this takes up no floor space, its all contained in the stand under that planer. The DW735 has a strong chip ejector fan which is one of the things I like about it. With the fan in the planer and the dust collector both running, I never have a problem with clogs.

Comment

Well I just realized something that should have hit me sooner. There is little travel distance in the joints to allow for different thickness boards. I will have to revise the design and maybe go back to a short piece of hose to allow for the full 6 inch capacity of the planer. Back to the drawing board. :-(

Comment

I modified my design to include a short piece of hose that will expand/contract over the planers ~6 travel distance. It worked out very well, no more hose flopping around. I had wanted to eliminate the hose and it flow restrictions altogether but alas it was not possible. I thought of creating a tube which could expand and contract out of two tubes telescoping one inside the other but how to create a long lasting air tight seal was the problem. The hose will be better in the long run. Zero maintenance (no seal) and little flow restriction in the 18" length of hose in a straight run.

I also submited it to a number of WWing mags so we'll see if anyone else likes it or not.

Comment

Looks good Bob, very smart use of otherwise dead space under the planer, plus I like the idea of being able to roll my tools out into the driveway on nice days to.

I am shopping (on a very very very limited budget) for a dust collection system, when I say limited, I mean that I have a coupon for a harbor freight 70gal collection, for 150.00, thats my price. I am tired of the debris on the floor all the time.

As far as the ability to raise and lower the planer, first thing I thought of was a "slip" joint, try to see if you can find a....oh the product name is on the tip of my keyboard...lol, anyway, one of those pipe repair slip joints, see if that will allow you to raise and lower, and still keep a tight seal.

My planer is on the same cart as my bandsaw, interesting combo I know, but it works, especially when resawing, straight to planer 12" away..

Comment

Working...
            X