Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Repeat Rip Cutting

Question....

I have a Ridgid TS3650 and this is probably going to sound like a complete noob question. So... I am making a night stand and I want to make sure that the legs are all the same size.

My solution was to put the fence the distance away and have the "kept" piece be the one between the fence and the blade. Is this bad? or the only way to do it?

It just seemed... dangerous. Or... I could have an overdeveloped respect for wanting to not have a ton of bloodshed when the saw is turned on.

Is there a better way to pull this off?

There is some risk in doing this as you note. If the legs are square and not tapered, clamp them together and cut them all at once (I'm assuming you are using the miter gage). This will also help eliminate tearout on three of the legs or all 4 if you add a piece of scrap behind the stack.

[ 03-14-2005, 10:15 PM: Message edited by: ByteButcher ]

Comment

I am doing the rip cut for the width of the leg and not the crosscut for the length.

I have the crosscutting worked out... Currently the legs are all a little longer than I need them and I do plan on putting them all together and getting them to length at the same time.

I got them all to the width I needed... It just seemed unsafe.

Although I was reading a website with some of Uncle Norm's Advice... And someone needs to correct me if I am wrong here:

So if I have the fence to the right of the blade and I am rip cutting something that I want to be say 4" in width. The 4" piece that I want to keep is the piece that is between the saw blade and the fence. NOT the piece to the left of the blade.

I know this must sound like total noob stuff... But in the past I have always kept the piece to the left of the blade. But then again... I was not doing a lot of repeat cutting in the past. I think my big issue here is that the piece I was ripping needed to be 2" wide after the cut. I used a push stick and all... It just felt weird. Guess I am just not used to working on smaller pieces on a big machine.

Comment

I always keep the piece that is between the blade and the fence. Not sure how you would get parallel edges any other way. I run one edge through the jointer then use that straight edge on the fence in order to get the second straight and parallel egde from the saw cut. Just make sure you use a push stick as noted. Also you may want to adjust your stance so that no part of your body is directly in line with the wood going through the blade so in the event of a kickback the wall is the only thing that will need a hole patched.

Comment

Doctorew,

I always keep the piece between the blade and the fence also. It is the one cut to the measured width you calculate. If you wish a 4 inch wide piece, you would have to figure the width of a board that would give you the 4 inch width plus the thickness of the blade plus the distance from the blade to the fence in order to use the piece remaining to the left of the blade.

Hope this helps,

Jerry
          It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenious.

Comment

Thanks everyone. Yeah... The more I think about it the more it makes sense.

As for the kickback... I had a VERY bad experience once upon a time and I just about stand to the side now adays. =)

Thank you very much for the input. I am just trying to respect the tool. =)

Comment

doctorew,

You should consider this book. It will help you a lot with these types of questions.

The Tablesaw Book by Kelly Mehler

http://www.kellymehler.com/

Comment

I am doing the rip cut for the width of the leg and not the crosscut for the length.
                Sorry, it was late. Thought you were trying to use the fence for a crosscut stop which is dangerous.
                Just make some push blocks. I like simple ones - just glue a small "heel" on the end of scrap boards. You can cut right through them for thin rips and just throw them away.

Comment

Working...
                X