X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Almost finished my DIY hardwood floor but got 2 questions

I almost finished my DIY hardwood floor project. It looks beautiful. However I got 2 questions

1. one end of a long plank goes higher than others. I figured out it's because of the uneven subfloor (tried to level it but it's not a perfect job - cannot sand off too much of the subfloor) and I need to cut off the lower part of the groove for installation at this location. Shall I drill a hole and put a floor screw to hold it down to subfloor and then cover the hole with a plug? I doubt whether a nail can do the job in the long run.

2. the tiles are higher than the hardwood floor. How to install the baseboards? I'm planning to replace all old baseboards with higher, thicker ones.

any help is appreciated.

Re: Almost finished my DIY hardwood floor but got 2 questions

If your replacing the base in the tiled area as well, I normally install the base on the lower floor first, then rip the base down on the higher floor so that it lines up. If your going to use a taller base, the better.

Comment

I would suggest a trim screw or two to hold down your board, and then either some colored putty or a small plug,

and I agree with the cut down the trim on the thicker floor, the other option is to put a small "spacer" piece of trim under the base board to raise it on the lower floor but more work and many times the results is not as desired,
      Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
      attributed to Samuel Johnson
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

It looks like you're doing a beautiful job with that floor, and I can understand wanting it to be perfect, but from a normal glance from 5 or 6 feet up does that board really show noticeably? (hard to really get a feel from the pic). I'm just wondering if it's really worth doing anything about at all.

The molding on the other hand, will definitely look better IMO if you level it up.

Comment

A screw will work great but then you have a couple of lonesome plugs in the middle of the floor? Even cutting face grain plugs, it's a crapshoot as to whether they'll stand out or not. I would use a couple of finish nails (pneumatic nailer works best) driven in at opposing angles. I presume you put tar paper down, so there is no chance for any construction adhesive or wood glue under the high spot? That would just be for insurance, anyway. This will probably never come out, but if it does, no harm done - then you can try the screw.

If you're not changing the baseboard in the tiled area, I would make a filler strip with a quarter round edge to fill the gap between the bottom of the baseboard and the new wood floor. It will just look like a quarter round applied at the bottom of the baseboard, which is a common baseboard treatment. You can make a fancier piece for where the tile and wood transition that fits to the threshold.

Comment

Originally posted by hewood View Post
            It looks like you're doing a beautiful job with that floor, and I can understand wanting it to be perfect, but from a normal glance from 5 or 6 feet up does that board really show noticeably? (hard to really get a feel from the pic). I'm just wondering if it's really worth doing anything about at all.

The molding on the other hand, will definitely look better IMO if you level it up.
            Thanks. That plank is easily visible plus the 30 degree corner is kind of sharp. with kids at home, I need to fix it.

Comment

Originally posted by Andy_M View Post
              A screw will work great but then you have a couple of lonesome plugs in the middle of the floor? Even cutting face grain plugs, it's a crapshoot as to whether they'll stand out or not. I would use a couple of finish nails (pneumatic nailer works best) driven in at opposing angles. I presume you put tar paper down, so there is no chance for any construction adhesive or wood glue under the high spot? That would just be for insurance, anyway. This will probably never come out, but if it does, no harm done - then you can try the screw.

If you're not changing the baseboard in the tiled area, I would make a filler strip with a quarter round edge to fill the gap between the bottom of the baseboard and the new wood floor. It will just look like a quarter round applied at the bottom of the baseboard, which is a common baseboard treatment. You can make a fancier piece for where the tile and wood transition that fits to the threshold.
              I'm never a fan of tar paper inside the house. Instead I use wax paper. I didn't realize it would be that high before the installation so I only put some wood glue on the groove but that does not work. I have concerns that in the long run the nails will be loose and causing squeaky floors.

Comment

Working...
              X