Need some help with a new (to me) TS 24121

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need some help with a new (to me) TS 24121

I got the saw used for 175.00 runs great. I do have a few questions though.

1. It was missing the owners manual. I've searched all over for an online version but have had no luck. Can someone point me in the right direction?

2. the guard assembly has seen better days. The owner explained he took it off early on and it just sat around. I think I would need to replace the assembly to get use of the pawls. Do most people end up removing them in the end?

3. I'm looking for a dado insert that would fit the saw any ideas?

Re: Need some help with a new (to me) TS 24121

TS2412 Owners Manual

As far as the blade guard assembly is concerned, you can order one from ereplacementparts.com They also should have the Ridgid dado insert but I wouldn't buy it. You'll be much better of if you can either make your own or buy a blank insert and make a zero clearance dado insert. If you decide to go the blank insert route one source would be here. The Model #953 will fit your saw.
    ================================================== ====
    ~~Don't worry about old age; it doesn't last that long.

Comment

Thanks for the link, big help.

I think I'll go with the blank. Is it as easy as drop in the insert, turn on saw, and raise the blade?

Comment

Originally posted by sead0nkey View Post

I think I'll go with the blank. Is it as easy as drop in the insert, turn on saw, and raise the blade?
        Almost but not quite. When there is a 10" blade installed on your saw, the top of the blade doesn't quite clear the bottom of the blank insert. There are a number of ways you can cut the opening into the ZCI. Depending of whether you're going to use a regular kerf or a thin kerf on your saw will determne how you get started. For a thin kerf blade, I use a 7½" circular saw blade with a kerf as close to the 10" blade I will be using. Cut the insert just enough to enable the 10" blade to clear the bottom of the insert. Once that is done install the 10" blade and finish cutting the kerf hole into the new ZCI. For a 10" regular kerf blade the process is the same except I would start off with one of the outside blades from my dado set. For cutting ZCI's for different dado sizes all you will need to do is mount the dado set onto the arbor and then raise the blades up through the new insert. I'd highly recommend you don't make an oversized dado insert to use with all any sized dado setup. That would be convient but your cuts could be prone to chip out along the edges and you don't want that when working with expensive hardwoods.
        ================================================== ====
        ~~Don't worry about old age; it doesn't last that long.

Comment

I'd look into the SharkGuard before I bought a stock guard. The end price will be less and you will have a better guard.
          The SharkGuard has been discussed many times in these forums, search on SharkGuard and you should get a few hits.
          "When we build let us think we build forever. Let it not be for present delight nor for present use alone. Let it be such work that our descendants will thank us for, and let us think, as we lay stone upon stone, that a time is to come when these stones will be held sacred because our hands have touched them, and that men will say, as they look upon the labor and wrought substance of them, "See! This our fathers did for us."
          John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

Comment

Originally posted by sead0nkey View Post

here is a way to make ZCIs yourself:

http://www.woodsmith.com/magazine/ex...arance-insert/

i also have a 2412 and i use 1/4" MDF for my ZCIs. i route a rabbet into the underside of the insert once it's trimmed to fit the throat, and if i route the rabbet too deep, a little painters tape levels it to the table top since the OEM insert is around 1/8" thick, too thin for levelling screws .

regarding the splitter and blade guard. rather than order a new part, you can, if patient, usually find 20-30 YO craftsman table saws for sale on craigslist. these saws were built by emerson electric for sears and ridgid. the parts are interchangeable. when i needed the metal cabinet portion of a c-man 10" saw to complete a cobbled together saw, i purchased an older craftsman for $50 , kept the parts i needed and sold the remainder for $25. any c-man 10" TS with a model number starting with 113 (e.g., 113.xxxxx) will work for you.
            there's a solution to every problem.....you just have to be willing to find it.

Comment

Thank for all the help.

Comment

Originally posted by Bob D. View Post
                I'd look into the SharkGuard before I bought a stock guard. The end price will be less and you will have a better guard.
                The SharkGuard has been discussed many times in these forums, search on SharkGuard and you should get a few hits.
                Am I missing something the shark guard is $170 and the OEM is $70ish? Is this the product (link)?

Comment

this is the SG you want:

LeeWay Workshop, LLC -Ridgid/ Craftsman

the 2412 has the same splitter/blade guard assembly as the ridgid 2424, 3612, 3650 and 3660, as well as many craftsman TSs with 113 prefixes in their model numbers (e.g., 113.xxxxxx).

the price is the reason i've not moved to a SG. from what i've seen on the bt3central.com site, lee makes a good product, and he apparently a good guy to do busioness with, but it isn't inexpensive. it does, however, provide for table top dust collection at the blade guard.

again, if you are patient, used emerson built c-man saws are on CL for under $100. find one with a splitter/blade guard assembly, and you can get it and plenty of spare parts for only a little more than an OEM assembly costs.
                  there's a solution to every problem.....you just have to be willing to find it.

Comment

This video + everyone's help has me set, thanks again.

Comment

Working...
                    X