Help with a Butcher Block cutting board

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help with a Butcher Block cutting board

So I bought a butcher block cutting board a few years ago. It's round, about 20 inches in diameter and about 2 inches thick. Now I don't use it all the time but I do use it. A month ago, I went to use it and it was looking pretty dry so after I was done, I put mineral oil on it and let it soak in. Well I took it down two nights ago and it's got a massive split in it, right along one of the seems. Not being a word working expert I've got a few questions. One, what can I do to fix it? Two, why would this happen? I'm assuming it got too dry and my lack of diligence with re-oiling it lead to the splitting.

Re: Help with a Butcher Block cutting board

Hey madjack, here's how the WoodWhisperer fixed one. How to Fix a Cracked Cutting Board | The Wood Whisperer

Comment

Hey, thanks for the link. I'm going to give mine some time to completely dry up and then give that a try.

Comment

Interesting link. I use West Systems epoxy and while it is pricey have had very good success with it.

One interesting thing I noticed about the woodwhisperer link is that a good portion of the crack seemed to occur right on the original glue line. Being an end grain cutting board, that seems odd. I would expect the wood to fail long before the adhesive. Looks to me like maybe the original joint may have been glue-starved. I know that there are differing opinions on whether glue starvation, and over-clamping are real effects. I am in the camp that believes that glue starvation is a real effect. With epoxies in general, you are looking for a 0.005 inch thick glue line for best strength. That's about the thickness of 2 sheets of plain white paper. Something to keep in mind.

If it were me, I would flush a little acetone through the crack before it closes up. Cutting boards are subject to oils that will soak into the board pretty good. Any adhesive doesn't like oils. Epoxy will fare a lot better than regular yellow glue in the presence of oils (probably why it was used in this application) but a bit of acetone pumped through the crack could only help. I would be careful not to flood too much acetone on there, as you don't want it to attack the other glue joints in the piece.

Comment

Did you put mineral oil on all surfaces? (I am trying to get my mind around a massive moisture content change in a real short period...especially in light of the material being in your location for 2 years)

Comment

I believe I did put the mineral oil on the top and most likely the side. I don't think there is any moisture in it at this time and the crack hasn't closed up at all.

Comment

Working...
            X