Combination Blades

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Combination Blades

Is there really a difference between the top brand names? Is a WWII really worth 50% more than a Freud LU84R. CMT and Amana, some people swear by them also. Most people will say that the blade they own is the best and that is understandable. However,is the answer blade loyalty or is there a distinct difference in quality of cut and life expectancy of the blade between the name brands?

I'm hoping that some of you have used different brands at one point or another and can share the knowledge you have. TIA
    ================================================== ====
    All of us could take a lesson from the weather. It pays no attention to criticism.

I purchased a combination Freud thinking that the cuts would be somewhat rough, and was surprised to find that they are very crisp and clean. I imagine that a dedicated rip blade and crosscut blade would take it a step further, but honestly I can't imagine needing a better cut. Whenever I fret over such things, my father is always quick to snap me back to reality by saying "You're not
    making a violin - my boy. Just cut the wood!"

Comment

Forrest's Woodworker II is different than many other blades in the way it is ground. They use an extremely small side relief angle on the teeth. This is the cause of the blade's well-known tendency to burn cuts.

I wouldn't be shocked if there were another blade that uses such a small relief, but I don't know who it is. I've seen cuts from other blades that easily match one from a WWII, blades that don't have the same burn tendency.

Freud's LU84 is a combination blade, it isn't an exact comparison to a general purpose blade. Still, machine setup and operator skill is a higher determinant of cut quality. When I'm at the top of my game, I can make cuts with a 24 tooth rip blade that equal a general purpose blade.

Dave

Comment

i have not personally confirmed this but i was led to believe that the WWII is cut the way it is to provide the smooth cut it does, but its drawback is that it dulls easily (and burns as previously mentioned). I kicked around getting one when i was in the market to upgrade my blade, and i chose the CMT general. Does a great job for less money. and lets face it, there is a reason jointers and such were invented.

freud has since came out with a "glue joint" blade. this looks interesting. but for me, the WWII wasn;t worth it, as i have a jointer, and several other hand and power tools to help get the job done.
        \"A SHIP OF WAR IS THE BEST AMBASSADOR\"<br /><br />OLIVER CROMWELL

Comment

Working...
        X