X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ridgid Table Saw R4512 Cutting weakly

R4512 purchased about 1 month ago. Moderate home use since.

For past 2 days the blade takes much longer to spin up and will quickly stall attempting to cut any sort of wood, regardless of thickness.

Looking into the back panel - all seems alright. The belt is in place though does seem a bit loose. I'm not sure how tight those belts are supposed to be. I can watch it during a cut performed by an assistant. It doesn't seem to slip.

The only other odd occurrence was about 3 weeks ago. After raising the blade for a cut, I heard a small clang inside the saw. I felt no resistance or give during the raising of the blade. I took off the dust collection tube and found what looked to be a 1.5 inch diameter notched washer which seemed to have been broken on one edge. Nothing seemed to work incorrectly then or until the saw started performing weakly these past 2 days.
    Sigh.... it's always something.

I'd appreciate any ideas.
    v/r
    Dr Y

Re: Ridgid Table Saw R4512 Cutting weakly

I have the R4512 too.
    I will be watching this thread with interest,as my saw has the same problem of low power when ripping stock.
    I have bought a frued ripping blade that helps a little,but not like it should be.
    Like you I found out the belt was a little loose.So I tried to adjust the belt by the instructions,but I couldn't get the arbor to move.
    The only way I could move the arbor was to loosen the bolt,then lower the blade as far as it would go.
    The belt tightened a little but still squeals on start up.
    If you find out how to tighten the blade please tell me.
    Rog

Comment

Sign on and ask your question on the registration page. They seem to answer in a day or two.

Mike

Comment

Check your pulleys. I had a brand new pulley on my piece of crap bandsaw break, and it came off and looked like a 1.5" washer if you had to describe it. Bandsaw still worked, but at a lower power rate.

Comment

Did you double check the alignment after hear that clanging sound?

Comment

Originally posted by hewood View Post
            Did you double check the alignment after hear that clanging sound?
            Not right that second. But it was still inside 0.002" of the miter slots several times since without interim adjustment, and cut perfectly directly afterward.
            I spoke to Ridgid tech support. They think the motor is cooked (no idea why), and suggested I return it to Home Depot or lug it to a service center 30 miles away. Oh good.
            I think once a saw gets up over 250 pounds, it is no longer best serviced by a plan involving the customer taking it somewhere. I can't imagine that you call up Powermatic, or Jet, or Sawstop about your cabinet or hybrid saw and having them tell you, "Oh, just pack it into the family van and zip on down to the service station for a look-see." Can you?
            The tech was very nice, and as helpful as he was authorized to be.

Comment

Figured it out.
              Pulley needed tightening.
              See below.
              I suspect the gentleman with a similar loss of power during rip cuts has the same problem, as there would be typically more blade /wood surface area contact during a rip and thus more frictional force. This would be perceived as relatively poorer power on rips.

Comment

By the way:

The "broken washer" was not really broken at all. It is part #79 on the parts diagram.

There are 2 of them. Apparently one of mine fell off. Replacing it would seem to be a monumental task as I'd be trying to access the from blade height mechanism from the back panel. Anyone know if part #79 is critical to some desired function?

Comment

Originally posted by wyavelak View Post
                  By the way:

The "broken washer" was not really broken at all. It is part #79 on the parts diagram.

There are 2 of them. Apparently one of mine fell off. Replacing it would seem to be a monumental task as I'd be trying to access the from blade height mechanism from the back panel. Anyone know if part #79 is critical to some desired function?
                  Hey man, I just went through this and I had to get an exchange for a new saw. I bought my saw(r4512) a little over a month ago and those two parts are called e-clips. They help lower and raise the blade and there is two washers in between them. Without these my blade would not raise any longer and I guess my shop vac had sucked the washers up and my e-clips were really bent up and had fallen off. I'm not really sure how they got that bad or if they were bent up and I didn't notice when I got the saw but the folks at Ridgid told me they had no parts for this saw and they would have to order from the recon factory and that I would have to wait for a bad saw to be taken apart once they got one then they could send me those two small e-clips. I said screw that because there was no ETA....it could of been two days or two months so I took it back to the closest HD and they had one r4512 left in the store so I lucked out.

Looking back at it, the saw always kind of had something wrong with it and I was constantly adjusting it. Things happen like that and I'd still probably give this saw another chance. On the 90 day return I could of got my money back so...I just hope this new one works better. I still have to put it together but it wont be bad at all after doing it once already and I really dig this saw. It's awesome.

Contact ridgid about those e-clips you might have a little better luck than I did and they might have some in stock now...they were really cool about it even though the parts would have taken awhile but they seemed to have good support service and tried to do what they could.

I could of probably bent the clips back but for me it was a good excuse to take the whole saw back and get a new one while I could. It might of been a lemon after a few months.
                  Last edited by rone; 05-25-2011, 02:28 AM.

Comment

Dr.Y, thanks for posting the photos on tightening the belt.I will try to adjust the belt again.

My understanding is that Ridgid doesn't have zero clearance and dado inserts yet.So I built mine UHMW Plastic Sheets and Strips
                    out of uhmw plastic.You can get 3 inserts out of one 3/8"x4"x48" sheet. You can cut the plastic with woodworking tools.

One other thing that happened was that the hand wheel that moves the blade up and down quit working.
                    I took the wheel off and found out the drive pin that goes through the shaft had shattered.So I replaced it with a cotter pin.

The other Ridgid woodworking tools I have in my shop work great ,but I'm disappointed with this saw.
                    I looked on craigs list for a 3650 table saw for a long time, but couldn't find any in my area.
                    Now I wish would have looked longer.
                    Rog

Comment

See below. I suspect tightening the belt will help you.

Comment

The belt didnt have anything to do with clips. Those clips just help raise or lower the blade. I'm all set I was just letting you know what you may need to do.

Comment

Originally posted by rogere View Post
                          Dr.Y, thanks for posting the photos on tightening the belt.I will try to adjust the belt again.

My understanding is that Ridgid doesn't have zero clearance and dado inserts yet.So I built mine UHMW Plastic Sheets and Strips
                          out of uhmw plastic.You can get 3 inserts out of one 3/8"x4"x48" sheet. You can cut the plastic with woodworking tools.

One other thing that happened was that the hand wheel that moves the blade up and down quit working.
                          I took the wheel off and found out the drive pin that goes through the shaft had shattered.So I replaced it with a cotter pin.

The other Ridgid woodworking tools I have in my shop work great ,but I'm disappointed with this saw.
                          I looked on craigs list for a 3650 table saw for a long time, but couldn't find any in my area.
                          Now I wish would have looked longer.
                          Rog
                          Leecraft has a ZCI for the R4512 with riving knife here.
                          And for dado sets here.
                          v/r
                          Dr Y

Comment

I got the belt tightened up, cuts like a new saw again.
                            Thanks Rog

Comment

Originally posted by wyavelak View Post
                              Figured it out.
                              Pulley needed tightening.
                              See below.
                              I suspect the gentleman with a similar loss of power during rip cuts has the same problem, as there would be typically more blade /wood surface area contact during a rip and thus more frictional force. This would be perceived as relatively poorer power on rips.

I had the same problem. The manual showed a 6mm allen bolt but it was a 13mm hex bolt. Thanks for the photos. My leverage point was different but the picture told me how to do it. Saw now works great.

Comment

Working...
                              X