X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• router bits-sharpen or new ones?

I have some old craftsman router bits and wonder if it's worthwhile to have them sharpened or just buy new ones? Any info on quality bits and price would be appreciated. I heard its wise to buy the best bits since they can come apart at 20,000rpms. and that is dangerous!

Hello kenny g,

You can check out the places listed here at On Line Shopping I have purchased new bits from Holbren's, MLCS WoodWorking, and Oak Park. Some have mentioned Grizzily and Leevalley. If these were expensive bits then I would get them resharpened if not then it might be cheaper to buy new ones unless you know or have someone to sharpen them for you at a cheap price or for free. I have sharpened a few straight bit before but none of the others.
    Regards
    Randy

Suggest A Fix PC Support Forums, Wilders Security Forums, Free on line virus Scan, The Parasite Fight
    ASAP Proud member since 2004 ~ Alliance of Security Analysis Professionals
    Outpost Firewall User's Support Forum

WinMe, OutPost FireWall Pro V2.5 Beta, FireFox 1.0PR, SpyBlocker 8.5/SpywareStopper 7.0, Nod32 AV, Trojan Hunter and alot of other goodies.

Comment

I'd go with new ones....it'd cost more to sharpen than to replace with decent quality value bits like MLCS, Woodline, Price Cutter, Holbren, etc.

...unless you've got some large expensive bits like a panel raiser

Comment

Kenny,

You didn't mention what kind of Craftsman bit you have, but if they are the "chrome edge" and/or two-piece bits, I would definitely dump them and look at the references previously made for new bits.

CWS

Comment

With the exception of expensive bits, it is generally cheaper to buy new than to sharpen.
          Also, when you sharpen you are changing the size of the cutters, for example, if you have a 1/2" diameter straight bit and you sharpen it,it will no longer be 1/2 inch diameter. This can be important depending on what you do with the bit, with a rabbeting bit this will be a PITA.
          www.TheWoodCellar.com

Comment

Rafael Wrote
            With the exception of expensive bits, it is generally cheaper to buy new than to sharpen. Also, when you sharpen you are changing the size of the cutters, for example, if you have a 1/2" diameter straight bit and you sharpen it,it will no longer be 1/2 inch diameter. This can be important depending on what you do with the bit, with a rabbeting bit this will be a PITA.
            Unless your router bits are chipped, simply sharpening them will not change the diameter. If you were to use a diamond stone or file on them then it would.

I keep my router bits sharp with a ceramic stone and stick and it has not changed the diameter or profiles on any of my bits. On the rare occasion that I have had a chipped bit, I replace it and throw the chipped one out.
            Dimensional Carpentry & Custom Woodworking
            Historic Renovations, Restoration, & Custom Log Homes

I Beat The Competition Hammersdown!

Comment

I agree with Don, sharpening the carbide cutting edge will not change the size of the profile as long as you just sharpen the flat cutter side and care is taken not to alter the angle of the cutting surface.

Woodslayer

Comment

Ditto, I use a DMT diamond combo stone X325/x1200

Comment

Working...
                X