Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• how hard is it....

Hi

anyone know how hard it is to come across willow in the midwest and/or a good mail order source for it? Also what is a fair market price for willow? (board foot or linear foot is ok)

Thanks
    \"A SHIP OF WAR IS THE BEST AMBASSADOR\"<br /><br />OLIVER CROMWELL

Willow is about the same hardness as Basswood and Pine [img]tongue.gif[/img]
    Around here 8/4 willow select and better goes for about the same price as Poplar ($2.00 - $2.30 / BF)

Comment

Well

I don't believe poplar grows around these parts. I love poplar, especially with a dark finish, ebony especially. Love the grain pattern and love the way it smells when cut.

I can get wood milled and kiln dried for about .60 a board foot. Willow does grow around here in the midwest. I have never seen willow in the local home centers and don't have a decient lumber yard in the close vicinity.

One thing that kind of bummed me out is that HD has quit selling cedar, at least in my area. I avoid menards like the plague and have not checked lowes yet. Haven't done much of anything lately.

I have a redwood exterior table that I built in california, and although the top did leave a bit to be desired (my first table)but the frame was nice and sturdy). Did a nice job on it! sealied it up real nice. 2Nd Chicago winter and it has officially died!
      \"A SHIP OF WAR IS THE BEST AMBASSADOR\"<br /><br />OLIVER CROMWELL

Comment

Check Lowes. The wife and I were there last night, breathing deeply in the cedar isle. Mmmmm, I like. Hope yours is the same.
        Later,
        CHiz
        Later,
        Chiz

Comment

LOWES CEDAR IS OVERPRICED CRAP. IT IS BEST TO BUY YOUR LUMBER FORM A MILL. IF YOU CANT FIND WHAT YOU WANT LOCALLY LOOK ON THE WEB FOR MILLS THAT WILL SHIP LUMBER TO YOU I BOUGHT OVER 1000BF OF EASTERN RED CEDAR THIS WAY AND SPENT 1/3 OF WHAT I WOULD HAVE HAD I BOUGHT IT LOCALLY.ILL E-MAIL YOU A LINK [img]smile.gif[/img]

Comment

Working...
          X