X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Removing Polyshade from Carpet

I have a few small spots of mahogany Polyshades on carpet. I've tried Acetone, Resolve, WD40... so stains are now a light pink. Is there anyway to clear up pink that remains? My carpet is a light beige.

Re: Removing Polyshade from Carpet

The minwax website says clean up with mineral spirits or paint thinner. before trying those, find an inconspicuous area of carpet (behind a seat, under a couch, etc. ) and test the color fastness of the carpet to those two solvents. put a small amount of each on a clean white handkerchief and rub lightly, then moderately, on the test area of carpet to see if any of the carpet color is transferred to the handkerchief. if it is, you can't use that solvent. if the carpet is color fast to one of the solvents, then try cleaning the spots with it. don't flood the area with solvent. try to get a towel or other cloth under the carpet in the area of the spots to protect the area under the carpet from the solvent. if a solvent works, keep the carpet area well ventilated until it dries thoroughly.
    there's a solution to every problem.....you just have to be willing to find it.

Comment

Welcome to the fourm

if acetone did not get it up my guess is it is not coming, you can try the mineral spirits/paint thiner,but acetone will usually take up things that paint thinner will not even touch,

I think there are carpet cleaners that will do a spot redye to restore the color, you could call a few and see if they can do that, I my self have only heard about it being done, never done it my self.
      Last edited by BHD; 05-31-2011, 09:05 PM.
      Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
      attributed to Samuel Johnson
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

I don't use polyshades, but in my experience once a poly material cures, solvents aren't going to work.

Unless your previous attempts have turned small spots into larger discolored areas, sometimes you can carefully snip off the discolored fibers and not notice it too much.

Comment

Originally posted by Andy_M View Post
          sometimes you can carefully snip off the discolored fibers and not notice it too much.
          I like that idea. Sounds like they already spread it around and worked it into the fibers. You may want to re-arrange the furniture to hide it.

Red
          Red

Comment

if the product has "cured", try tamping it with a stiff nylon brush while the solvent is present. it's best to put absorbent material beneath the carpet and then smack the area with the brush's bristles repeatedly but carefully. the tamping action should break the skin of the offending stain and allow the solvent to dissolve it. then flush with solvent, again into material of some kind. good luck.
            there's a solution to every problem.....you just have to be willing to find it.

Comment

Working...
            X